Empty stomach for workouts or not?

Options
I started doing my exercise on an empty stomach and then read we should eat carbs before.
So I have a couple of oatcakes before I exercise and a protein shake after
Then I read we should exercise on an empty stomach or I won't lose weight and my weight has stalled.
Which is right? I'm confused!!

Replies

• PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I started doing my exercise on an empty stomach and then read we should eat carbs before.
    So I have a couple of oatcakes before I exercise and a protein shake after
    Then I read we should exercise on an empty stomach or I won't lose weight and my weight has stalled.
    Which is right? I'm confused!!

You can train fasted and have your simple carbs and protein afterwards...I for one can not train with food in my stomach
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Some people do better on an empty stomach. Personally I need food for energy. I feel crappy if im running on empty. I lift better if I have something in my stomach. Not a lot though. A light snack with healthier carbs works for me. If you feel bad then try eating 1hoir before and see how you feel.
  • shangunnell
    Options
    I've tried it both ways, and perfer not eating before exercising...it makes me sick if I eat before
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I always workout before my meals - on as empty a stomach as I can. I tend to feel sick if I workout after I've eaten. It's more of a "whatever works best for you" thing.
  • LeCitron
    Options
    I agree with PBJunky. If I work out with anything in my stomach the food generally has a desire to reappear either during or directly afterwards. Just remember to eat some complex carbs and proteins after your workout (within 30 minutes to an hour) to help build muscle and you should be good!

If you need to eat something before you workout I would suggest a banana. It'll load you up on natural sugars and potassium and (at least for me) won't generate feelings of nausea.

I hope this helps!
  • mrdee555
    mrdee555 Posts: 178
    Options
    When im dieting i do may cardio on an empty stomach, just jack3d 15mins before for energy and sup on 15g of bcaas to save any muscle breakdown but all zero kcal:)
  • amymaria91
    Options
    Apparently if you work out on an empty stomach then your body is working off your fat reserve, not the food you have eaten.

I find sometimes this works great for me but other times I start to feel dizzy
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    i prefer an empty stomach, I feel really yuck otherwise even if I've had something light. I'll exercise early and eat breakfast afterwards. If I do anything in the evening I try to make sure not to eat for an hour or so beforehand so I dont feel sluggish.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I prefer an empty stomach, I also don't like eating immediatly after......I usually wait about a hour before I start feeling hungry. If I work-out in the evening I always make sure I eat more than 2 hours before my work-out.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of workout I think. And it also depends on the individual. I'm usually fine to eat whenever, but I know when I do high intesity/high impact I don't like to eat because it makes me feel sick. Even after an hour of clear digestion before I start I just feel green when I'm done.
    Which is what I did last night and I eneded up taking an antacid in the end I felt so ropey.

I'm not sure it has an effect on weightloss - hopefully someone 'in the know' will answer. I've always thought that it wouldn't be that significant until you are really lean and trying to hone your body and skills. Up until that point a burn is a burn.......?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't like to eat too close to a workout - but I don't like to train hungry either (I get acid reflux very badly if I try). I'd say aim to eat an hour or two before you go. But unless you're having bad effects either way, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Apparently if you work out on an empty stomach then your body is working off your fat reserve, not the food you have eaten.

I find sometimes this works great for me but other times I start to feel dizzy

"There are a few flaws in this logic. First, the body does not switch to its fat burning energy system that readily. It needs a certain level of blood glucose available for that system to kick in --- typically between 75 and 85 mg/dl. Now that minimum level is typically not maintained in people who suffer from hypoglycemia or diabetes. In fact, in these people, blood sugar levels can drop below the minimum several times per day and often very quickly. And as we discussed in prior issues (see this website for relevant articles), these metabolic conditions are more common than we thought and most people who have them have not yet been diagnosed.
    Another problem with this premise is that certain factors must be present for us to have enough energy to begin exercising in the first place. One has already been addressed and that is that our blood sugar has to be at least 75 ml. Another factor is our endocrine system, namely our adrenal and thyroid glands. If these glands are not healthy and functioning the way they are supposed to then no matter how much available blood sugar we have or how much we want to work out, our bodies simply will not respond. And adrenal dysfunction and hypothyroidism are fairly common conditions. In fact, forcing yourself to exercise when cortisol (a hormone produce by the adrenal glands) is too low or too high can place undue stress on the adrenal glands.
    Another less physical but related issue at play here is motivation. Some of us are morning people and some of us are evening people. Likewise, some of us prefer to work out in the morning and some later in the afternoon or early evening. While these preferences are also heavily influenced by our adrenal function (referred to as our “circadian rhythm”), they have a lot to do with how much we put into a workout. If you are not a morning person and you attempt to force yourself to work out first thing in the morning, you will probably work out with less intensity than if you worked out later in the day. And the benefits you receive from your workouts are always determined by the intensity with which you work out.
    So while working out on an empty stomach may seem like a great idea, the reality is a bit more complicated. The solution is to schedule your workout for the time of day when you tend to have the most energy and motivation. If this not practical for you, then you will just have to work out when you can and be more diligent about your diet and other lifestyle habits."

http://www.michaelsallustio.com/articles/95-common-exercise-myths-dispelled
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I definitely don't eat first, especially if it's hot power yoga. It makes me sick. I tend not to be hungry when I'm working out, even after, although I do make a concerted effort to eat a little something within a half hour to hour after working out because I know I should.

Lucy :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Been awhile for me, but my trainer sent my butt home when I had nothing to eat for 4 hrs prior to my workout.

About 1-1.5 hrs prior to my appt I would have 1/2 banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter. This was her suggestion.

Of course this was after eating right all day, and drinking water. I had lunch at 12 and my appt with her at 5. You need energy to lift weights.

I have heard different theories on cardio and eating. Of coure I imagine that has to do with weight, age, and what kind of cardio
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Totally a personal thing. A lot in my gym have a banana enroute or eat an hour before - I can not. I feel nauseous if I eat even 2 hours before - so I exercise on empty. I find I get a stitch in my stomach/side on the treadmill if I eat something first, and/or feel sick trying to go spinning after eating anything !

Personal choice though.. some feel low on fuel without eating.. try both x
  • FasterMummyFaster
    Options
    How do you work best? Empty stomach or eating first? Which ever you feel best with continue. Its all down the personal preference. There are articles out there that say all sorts, but sometimes you just have to go with what works for you. If you perform better in exercise it will help weightloss.

Me personally I eat first, partner and mum don't. See what works for you and don't worry too much about all these articles and sometimes all they do is confuse us all. We then think we are doing something wrong when actually we were fine with what we were doing :)

Hope that helps xxxxx
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I echo the others, I think it's a personal choice and whatever works best for you :smile:
    I can't exercise after eating as it makes me feel sick and sluggish, equally I can't train properly if I haven't much 'fuel' inside me.
    If I have eaten a proper meal I always leave at least 2 hours minimum before exercising, if I have only had something light, e.g a banana or some oatcakes (which I will have before going to the gym if I haven't eaten for a few hours) then I drink Lucazade Sport Lite whilst training to give me some energy.
    :flowerforyou:
    x
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    No matter if you or don't eat before training, you always burn a mixture of fat and glycogen while training. I hate when people say "you will break down muscle for energy if you don't eat before training". What they don't understand is that muscle is constantly being broken down and being rebuilt, so you want to make sure your protein intake and strength training is adequate to maintain or improve your muscle mass. From what I've read, if you do fasted cardio in the morning, you will burn a bit more fat cals than glycogen cals vs. if you've eaten before. Then when you eat afterwards you will end up burning more glycogen during the remainder of the day because you've replenished your glycogen reserves. If you eat before your workout, you will burn more glycogen then fat during your workout, but during the remainder of the day, depending on your macro intake, you can burn more fat cals. So in the end, it'll be basically a wash if your diet is in check.