Lesley Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds VS walking outside

Options
Hi guys, I have a quick question. I have been doing Lesley Sansone's walk away the pounds 3 mile walk AND walking outside 2 miles a day. My question is ,do you think the 3 mile dvd workout is as good or better than walking 3 miles outside? I walk between 3 mph and 3.5 mile mph when I walk outside. The 3 mile dvd workout is 45 minutes. I burn about the same amount of calories walking with the dvd and walking outside. The dvd does include about 8 minutes of resistance band work. It also includes side steps, kick backs and knee lifts. I just know that when I'm outside my heart rate stays at 73 % of my maximum for the entire walk once I get going. With the dvd my heart rate fluxuates between 55-71 % . It stays at around 65 % the most. So what do ya think? Chuck the dvd workout and walk 5 miles outside OR keep doing the dvd most days and up my walk outside to 3 miles a day? TIA- Cindy :heart:

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I have a quick question. I have been doing Lesley Sansone's walk away the pounds 3 mile walk AND walking outside 2 miles a day. My question is ,do you think the 3 mile dvd workout is as good or better than walking 3 miles outside? I walk between 3 mph and 3.5 mile mph when I walk outside. The 3 mile dvd workout is 45 minutes. I burn about the same amount of calories walking with the dvd and walking outside. The dvd does include about 8 minutes of resistance band work. It also includes side steps, kick backs and knee lifts. I just know that when I'm outside my heart rate stays at 73 % of my maximum for the entire walk once I get going. With the dvd my heart rate fluxuates between 55-71 % . It stays at around 65 % the most. So what do ya think? Chuck the dvd workout and walk 5 miles outside OR keep doing the dvd most days and up my walk outside to 3 miles a day? TIA- Cindy :heart:
  • queen3510
    queen3510 Posts: 180
    Options

Leslie Sansone dvds are great. I would continue with the program you have and just increase my outside walking to make up the difference in the HR %'s. Keep up the good work. Be blesssed
  • trevorbyus
    trevorbyus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I actually have the 5 mile Leslie Sansone Dvd and I love it. But doing both won't hurt you. Leslie give you variety of things to do. Thats what I love about her dvd's. She actually helps me to breathe while I jog on our treadmill. I say do both. The girl I work with has been doing Leslie dvd's for about two months and I have notice a difference in her shape.
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    I love the Lesley Sansone workouts. I am just wondering If walking outside is better in the long run? I love exercising in the morning and in the evening so I will do 2 workouts no matter what. :heart:
  • zaybedowop
    zaybedowop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you answered your own question in knowing that you are at a 75 percentile when walking outside compared to the 55-65% of doing the dvd inside.

I think having both options at your disposal are great. I don't know how many times out of the week you are doing cardio but let's say you are doing five days out of the week.

I would do three walks outside and two days of doing the cardio. Or save the dvd for days the weather isn't as great.

You might even get to a point where you want to do 2 miles outside and then do the 3 mile dvd. Just make sure to change up your routine so your body doesn't get used to the routine. :)

Good Luck!

p.s. I missed that you had said you did two workouts daily. I think if you are at that level then going outside and upping your miles to five is great.
  • crankynurse
    Options
    You will reap the benefits if you stay within 60% to 70% of your max target heart rate.
    Keep up the good work. I love Leslie's videos and I add 2-3 pound weights, or resistance bands with the tapes.
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I also use these, and what I love is that the pace is already set. However, I also walk outside as well. I think if you can keep a steady pace outside, then the benefits are probably about the same. Maybe add some leg weights when you do the outside to boost it up a bit. Which video is your favorite? I have found that if I switch up the ones I use...doing 2 miles here and 4 miles the next day, then going outside and walking 3 on another day..it keeps my body kind of in that shock stage because it's not the same thing every day.

Hope you get the answer you're looking for.
    Best of luck to you!
  • zaybedowop
    zaybedowop Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    applepie: I would disagree about adding leg weights. Most fitness folks would advise against this because it can lead to injuries. Plus, holding up your own body weight is sufficient enough when walking. :)
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi, Applepie I carry 3 pound hand weights on my outside walks. I have the DVD that has the 3 and 4 mile workouts on it. So far I've only done the 3 mile. I plan to move up to the 4 mile soon. I think what i'm going to do is Mon-Sat AM- Watp 3 mile or 4 mile PM- 3 mile walk outside. Sunday I just walk outside. Cindy
  • applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Keep us posted on how it's going.

zaybedowop, that is a good suggestion. I never really thought about our own body weight being considered as 'leg weights' also. Good to think about. :D
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the exact same thing as you have.
    Earlier in the day, every day, I do her 3 Mile Abs video for 45min with the resistance training, and then about half the week I will also go out for a 2 mile walk in the evening. I do the evening walk mostly for pleasure, if the weather is foul I don't go.
    I am finding that the videos are more of a workout than the walk in the evening, but that could be because of where I am walking. If you have a lot of uphill, or uneven surfaces, you might be finding the actual walk takes more effort. I am finding that my heart rate and rate of effort is higher with the videos.
    I also find that my posture is absolutely deplorable! With the videos, I am constantly being reminded of it and keep my posture correct, but I find that my posture sometimes slips when I go out for my walk. If I keep my posture good for my walk, it raises the effort I make. Plus, I actually walk more briskly with better posture. I have heard that you burn more calories with your back straight, and your shoulders slightly back and maintaining good posture, so I am really making more of an effort on it. It's pretty tough.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the exact same thing as you have.
    Earlier in the day, every day, I do her 3 Mile Abs video for 45min with the resistance training, and then about half the week I will also go out for a 2 mile walk in the evening. I do the evening walk mostly for pleasure, if the weather is foul I don't go.
    I am finding that the videos are more of a workout than the walk in the evening, but that could be because of where I am walking. If you have a lot of uphill, or uneven surfaces, you might be finding the actual walk takes more effort. I am finding that my heart rate and rate of effort is higher with the videos.
    I also find that my posture is absolutely deplorable! With the videos, I am constantly being reminded of it and keep my posture correct, but I find that my posture sometimes slips when I go out for my walk. If I keep my posture good for my walk, it raises the effort I make. Plus, I actually walk more briskly with better posture. I have heard that you burn more calories with your back straight, and your shoulders slightly back and maintaining good posture, so I am really making more of an effort on it. It's pretty tough.

I just got the dvd 3 mile , and 4 mile one how are you logging them into the exercise log ?? Im not sure how to log it in to see how many calories im burning!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that walking outdoors gives you fresh air and hopefully a little sunlight, might even help to relieve stress. Those are big perks there!