Motivating kids

Options
okay i asked this on another thread i made about how people find time to exercise

the question is i have a 12 yearold son , he has gross motor skill issues so is not very athletic, but would like to get him walking with me.

would be very much willing to sacrifice speed for him to come with me, for time together and his health but he never wants to go

any ideas on getting him going with me short of actually forcing him?

Replies

• b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old hates taking walks with me as well. I have tried many things to get him to walk with me. If he rides his bike while I walk he is happy though.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    oh i love the comedian you quoted
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Get a puppy... or force him to go. LOL
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump - eight-year-old daughter who is totally exercise averse but loves starches and sugars; not a good combo, obviously
  • kayelrick
    kayelrick Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    How about a treat he really likes afterwards ?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    hmm, my 8yr. old nephew loves going walking with me, but he does like to bring his scooter or bike if he can, but he'll actually walk, and sometimes run to try and outdo me for at least a mile or more. if you guys go to the park maybe he'll want to walk there, idk. or if there is place you guys like to visit (any special interests, the mall, food store, yogurt place, etc . . . ) park your car somewhere close or walk to it from your home, something like that
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Try enticing him with a goal of doing a 5K - but make sure it's one where everyone gets a medal. Medals have a way of motivating kids (well, adults, too). Often you can find what the medal will look like on the web site offering the 5K.

Either that or tell him he is no longer allowed to walk with you. :wink: That might tick him off enough to prove you wrong. Kind of like putting that book you really want kids to read on a shelf just a little too high for them to reach so they wonder what's in it they're not supposed to read and grab a chair to get it and read.

It's difficult to figure out what motivates people. We're all different. Good luck on finding what works for your guy.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Get a puppy... or force him to go. LOL
    we have dogs, they coudl use it too LOL
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    Either that or tell him he is no longer allowed to walk with you. :wink: .

oh so you know my son
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    oh i love the comedian you quoted
    lol me too, I am fluffy!