Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

plateau....

I have reached a plateau and now I find that I make any excuse to eat poorly again, I work in a doctor's office and the drug reps bring in such temting food. I know it is as simple as walking away from the food,but I can't find the motivation. Any ideas? How do you get back on track?

Replies

• Try changing your workouts to get past that plateau, up your game. Maybe put the tempting treats that are brought into work across the room, so they're out of sight per-se. Have ready-made healthy snacks available to curb those cravings, drink a big glass of water beforehand. Really think of how far you've come before reaching for a calorie laden snack. You've worked so hard to get where you are...don't let that sugary treat dictate your emotions! :flowerforyou:
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    It took me several months to get out of my plateau. I was about to give up hope. What really got me going was joining a challenge group on here. I've lost 8lbs in the last 6 weeks(I think it's been 6?) which is more than I've lost since May.
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    I've been seemingly stuck for the past 2 months...only losing 4 pounds total since September. However, I still keep plugging away because I really want this. I want to live a healthy life. I too have so many temptations ( I teach first grade...snack time is a killer) but I know that I never wanna go back to the way I looked 10 months ago. I kept working out diligently and I've seen the scale move a bit in the past couple weeks because I've mixed it up by throwing a circuit training session in with my usual stuff. Most often your body just needs a swift jolt to realize what it's going on and that it needs to lose again.
    You can do this!
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    I have reached a plateau and now I find that I make any excuse to eat poorly again, I work in a doctor's office and the drug reps bring in such temting food. I know it is as simple as walking away from the food,but I can't find the motivation. Any ideas? How do you get back on track?

I read this article once about how WE are to blame for plateaus and not our bodies. basically, most people experience a plateau after a period of dieting whereby they aren't as careful as they once were even though mentally they still think they are being careful about what they eat.

for example, after a few months of diligently paying attention to what we eat and how much we exercise, we get a bit weary and start slacking off even though we still think we are doing the same amount of exercise. according to the study, the participants thought they were still being strict with their diets even though they weren't.

So i would say that its the bad food and choices that are making you experience a plateau and not the plateau that is making you make bad choices.
    I hope that makes sense.:ohwell:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Hard to answer without knowing what you're already doing...

What is your age/height/weight/goal weight?
    Are you sure your settings are correct?
    Are you exercising and tracking the calories with a good HRM and chest strap?
    Are you eating your exercise calories back?
    How often do you exercise?
    How much fluid do you drink?
    Do you watch your sodium?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Last night I started a 1,000 minutes of exercise in November challenge (for me I have to do 1k cardio because I already do a ton of strength). This is a huge thing, I hardly ever get into the gym to do any cardio... here and there I get a Zumba class in... but thats it! I did two things to help motivate myself. I hand-wrote a special calendar to track my minutes and progress, and I found a few fat pictures of myself and made myself a little "fat collage". On it I wrote in stickers "Is this you?". I set this next to my bed so I will get my butt out of bed in the morning!

Both of these actions I did after I had already planned to top off my Halloween splurging with two sugar free pudding cups. After I made the calendar and the picture... I had enough control to put the pudding back and take it back OFF of my food diary!
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member

I read this article once about how WE are to blame for plateaus and not our bodies. basically, most people experience a plateau after a period of dieting whereby they aren't as careful as they once were even though mentally they still think they are being careful about what they eat.

for example, after a few months of diligently paying attention to what we eat and how much we exercise, we get a bit weary and start slacking off even though we still think we are doing the same amount of exercise. according to the study, the participants thought they were still being strict with their diets even though they weren't.

So i would say that its the bad food and choices that are making you experience a plateau and not the plateau that is making you make bad choices.
    I hope that makes sense.:ohwell:

I think this is really good 'food for thought'.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Unhappy to admit this...but, when I find myself at a plateau it is usually due to my not eating as I should. Begin to log EVERTHING that you eat. You may find that you are consuming more calories than you thought.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    I've been through it too recently... just completely change things around.. more exercise.. more food.. just mix things up for a week or so and then you'll be back to normal!

Add me if you need support xx
  • DonnaHazel
    DonnaHazel Posts: 30 Member
    What you said is exctly how I am. I am so tired of watching my caloric intake and watching everyone nibble! I still work out diligently. Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
  • DonnaHazel
    DonnaHazel Posts: 30 Member
    Becky...You always seem to be there when I need encouragement! You must have a sixth sense! Thanks.
  • Swissmiss
    No sixth sense, Donna. It is just that I find myself in this position too many times. So, I am speaking to myself.:bigsmile:
  • Swissmiss
    I am so hoping to not fall away this time.