(CLOSED) No November Nonsense!!!! Healthy Hump Day!

Options
Alright everyone, you asked for it!! Today is Healthy Hump Day!!!:laugh: Everyone post your favorite healthy recipe! Hopefully we get some good dinner ideas so i dont have to put much thought into what im having :wink:

Yesterday i accepted a few more people to join us and the spreadsheet shows 32 members now (so we actually have 34 that i know of because of technical difficulties with 2 lol. They SHOULD have everything figured out today :huh: )

And for those of you who didnt catch the Mini Challenge link last night here it is again. Its nothing exciting just some circuits i found that will keep you busy until some more unique ideas pop into my head (or other members heads, keep the Challenge suggestions coming!!!) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C2XvPpGf_DnXInC-RQQYjKskJqr7pTI_qITkujJyU4s/edit

Also, looks like most are getting the hang out checking in on the spreadsheet daily! Great job everyone! Keep on moving and we WILL reach our goals!!! Just imagine how AWESOME we all will look in December for the Holidays!!! OOOH YEAAHHH! lol :smokin:

Have a good one everyone!! Now go workout!!

:heart: Meg

(can you tell that i found the awesome smilies!? lol, i knew they were there just never used them...i think im a smiliey addict now!! :love: )

Replies

• MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    This is my go to recipe when i know im going to have a kick-*kitten* workout. The calories are a little high but the other factors are nothing but awesome such as fiber and protein (the way i eat them anyway)

Oatmeal Pancakes!! :love:

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup quick cooking oats
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1-1/2 cups (skim) milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
    2 egg whites

Directions

Place flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, vanilla, oil and egg in a food processor and puree until smooth. (i dont have a very big food processor so i just ground up the oatmeal into a powder and mix them in a bowl with a mixer.)
    Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. When i make them this makes about 11 pretty big pancakes and i usually eat 2 with about 1/2 tbsp peanut butter on each and im STUFFED for a long time!!(thats where the extra protein comes in and its better than syrup!!)

Heres the stats! (This is for each pancake)
    Cal: 95
    Carbs: 19
    Protein: 4
    Fiber: 2
    (So usually when i eat them my meal comes out to 285 with 2 cakes and 1 tbsp peanut butter) :o)

Enjoy!
    :heart: Meg
  • KerriMx5
    KerriMx5 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Will be back with a yummy idea in a bit.
  • lizlee8
    lizlee8 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Will do tonight :wink:
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    In the colder months I like soup and eating soup. It's comfort and warmth both in bowl and in my tummy. I also love the taste of chicken pot pie but not all the calories and what nots associated it with it so when I saw the recipe from the Skinnytaste website http://www.skinnytaste.com/ for those who don't know about it I knew I had to make it. I actually made it back in September but it was super yummy and filling and if you had the extra calories left you could have a biscuit with it. It's good without though. Oh I also left the mushrooms out because I didn't have any.

This is the link for the recipe http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html if you want to go directly to the site.

Here's the info for the recipe

The taste of chicken pot pie, in a soup!

Chicken pot pie is ultimate comfort food and this creamy, chunky soup is loaded with chicken, potatoes, mushrooms, peas, carrots, corn, celery, onions and green beans in every bite. You can modify this with the vegetables you like to suit your taste. If you want to get fancy, you can serve this in hollowed out bread bowls or serve it with cut-out baked pie crust (extra points).

This recipe requires cooked chicken breast. If you have raw chicken, poach 3 breasts in water for 15 minutes, then remove and dice into bite-sized pieces. This soup is filling! One cup filled me up, but if you want a larger serving, I posted nutritional info for a bowl as well.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup either 1 cup or 1 bowl serving information.

Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pt • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 169.2 • Fat: 1.2 g • Protein: 18.5 g • Carb: 21.2 g • Fiber: 2.3 g

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 bowl (1-1/2 cups) • Old Points: 5 pt • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 253.8 • Fat: 1.8 g • Protein: 27.7 g • Carb: 31.9 g • Fiber: 3.4 g

1/4 cup flour (to make gluten-free use 2 tbsp cornstarch instead)
    2 cups water
    4 cups fat free milk
    1 large celery stalk, chopped
    1/2 medium chopped onion
    8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
    2 chicken bouillons
    fresh ground pepper
    pinch of thyme
    10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
    2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
    16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small
    salt

Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.

Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken bullion, thyme, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables and return to a boil. Partially cover and simmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove lid, add potatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken, and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well as you add. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.

xo

Amber
  • boncharlie
    boncharlie Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite banana cake ever- can't believe how easy it is!

Enjoy :)

BANANA AND SULTANA CAKE

Per 50g serving - 100kcal/0.4g fat

1lb 3 oz (475g ) ripe bananas (approximately 5 large) peeled.
    2 beaten eggs
    6oz (150g) brown sugar
    4oz (100g) sultanas
    8 oz (200g) self-raising flour

Mash the bananas and add the eggs, sugar and sultanas. Mix well, then stir in the flour. Place in a lined 2lb (800g) loaf or cake tin. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180c, 350F or Gas Mark 4. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. When cool, store in an air-tight tin for 24 hours before serving.
  • rebeccask
    Options
    I started this recipe last night by soaking dry beans and started the crockpot this morning to have ready by dinner time. It's pumpkin chili from skinnytaste.com. Here's a link to the recipe: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/crockpot-turkey-white-bean-pumpkin.html

Because I'm vegetarian, I'm omitting the turkey altogether and subbing the chicken broth with low sodium vegetable broth.

Crock Pot Turkey White Bean Pumpkin Chili
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pts • Points+: 5 pts
    Calories: 182.6 • Fat: 2.3 g • Protein: 23.3 g • Carb: 10.9 g • Fiber: 8.8 g • Sugar: 2.1
    Sodium: 429.8 (without salt)

Ingredients:

cooking spray (I use my misto)
    2 lb 99% lean ground turkey
    1/2 tsp olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tsp chili powder, to taste
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    2 (15 oz cans) of white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained
    15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
    4.5 oz canned chopped green chile
    2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
    fat free sour cream for topping (optional)
    chopped cilantro and chives for topping (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat a large heavy saute pan over high heat and lightly spray with oil. Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 5 minutes. Add to crock pot.

Add oil to the saute pan, then onions, garlic, sauté about 3 - 4 minutes; add cumin and sauté another minute.

Add to crock pot. Add beans, pumpkin puree, green chilis, broth, chili powder, oregano, and bay leaves. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.

Remove bay leaves and adjust seasoning to taste before serving. Enjoy!
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Vegan Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies!

My FAVORITE recipe ever...and it's a lot healtier than regular cookies (these also can be made as muffins).

PLUS it's the easiest recipe ever (and EVERYONE loves it).

Needed:

1 box of Duncan Heinz Chocolate Fudge cake mix
    1 16oz can of pumpkin pie filling
    1 bag of Gheradelli (or any other brand) dark chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350.
    Mix everything together.
    Scoop mix onto cookie sheet into cookie like-blobs (they don't really spread while cooking).
    Cook for 13-16 minutes.

AAAAAAND...DONE!
  • MegSommer
    Options
    Great start guys! Amber i think your Pot Pie soup may be the winner for my dinner (lol im such a poet!) Keep em coming!!!! :drinker:
  • MegSommer
    Options

My FAVORITE recipe ever...and it's a lot healtier than regular cookies (these also can be made as muffins).

Needed:

Preheat oven to 350.
    Mix everything together.
    Scoop mix onto cookie sheet into cookie like-blobs (they don't really spread while cooking).
    Cook for 13-16 minutes.

AAAAAAND...DONE!

OMG im Drooling!! :love: :love:
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

I know what I'm making this Saturday! :love:

xo
    Amber
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I will come back to this tonight! I haven't thought of what recipe to share yet... sweet or savory....
  • berv0009
    Options

Needed:

Preheat oven to 350.
    Mix everything together.
    Cook for 13-16 minutes.

AAAAAAND...DONE!

YES! I have also just made these into "brownies" by pouring it all in a 9X13 pan! YUM!!
  • berv0009
    Options
    Black Bean Turkey Chili

Ingredients
    •1 pound ground turkey
    •1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
    •1 red bell pepper, seeded & cut into 1/4-inch cubes
    •2 cloves garlic, minced
    •2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
    •1 tablespoon chili powder
    •1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    •1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
    •1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
    •1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
    •1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    •1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    •16 ounces whole, canned, tomatoes, undrained & coarsely chopped
    •16 ounces black beans, rinsed and well drained
    •1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
    •4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
    Preparation

In a 3-quart saucepan, combine turkey, onion, red pepper, garlic, jalapeño peppers, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, marjoram, red pepper flakes and cinnamon. Cook mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink.

Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.

Stir in beans and cilantro. Continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes.

Serve topped with cheddar cheese.

Makes 6 servings

Prep Time: 15 mins
    Cook Time: 55 mins
    Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins

Nutrition Facts
    Number of Servings: 6
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 249
    Total Fat: 10 g
    Cholesterol: 72 mg
    Sodium: 433 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 18 g
    Protein: 23 g

YUM!
  • ML1020
    ML1020 Posts: 39
    Options
    Basil Chicken over Angel Hair Pasta

(I haven't made this yet but it's on my menu for next week)

Ingredients
    1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
    2 cups boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cubed
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions
    In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook angel hair pasta until it is al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
    In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and garlic. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken, and basil. Reduce heat to medium, and cover skillet. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is hot and tomatoes are soft.
    Toss sauce with hot cooked angel hair pasta to coat. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Nutritional Information:
    Servings Per Recipe: 4

Amount Per Serving Calories: 362
    Total Fat: 10.8g
    Cholesterol: 57mg
    Sodium: 536mg
    Total Carbs: 37.8g
    Dietary Fiber: 3.7g
    Protein: 28.4g
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin bread and cookies. Any recipe you want only instead of the oil or butter use that amount of pumpkin puree and only 1Tbsp of oil or butter.

Below is my pumpkin cookie recipe
    1 3/4 cup pumpkin
    1 c sugar
    1 3/4 oats
    1 1/2 flour
    1 egg
    1Tbsp shortening
    1 cup chocolate chips
    1/2 tsp soda
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp salt

preheat oven to 400 degrees
    mix all dry ingredients then add wet ingredients.

Bake for 15 min

If you make 36 cookies they only have 90 cals each!

*As a note they will not be crunchy like most oatmeal cookies. They have an almost cake-like quality and they don't really spread like cookies normally would so whatever shape they are when you put them on they will be in almost the same shape when they are done cooking.
  • berv0009
    Options
    Low-Fat Vegetable Lasagna

Ingredients
    • 9 lasagna noodles, uncooked
    • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced thin (optional)
    • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    • 1/4 tablespoon salt
    • 1 (10 oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed, drained thoroughly
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    • 2 cups meatless tomato sauce
    • 15 ounces low-fat ricotta cheese
    • 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    • 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
    Preparation

Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain and cover with cool water until ready to use.

While pasta is cooking, combine onions and oil in a skillet over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute. Spoon out half the onions and reserve for later. Add the mushrooms (if using) to the onions in the skillet. Cook, stirring over medium heat, until the mushrooms are tender and slightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the parsley and a pinch of salt; transfer to a bowl.

Add the reserved cooked onion and the spinach to the skillet. Cover and cook over medium heat until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Uncover and cook over medium heat to evaporate any excess moisture, about 1 minute. Season with a pinch of salt.

Heat oven to 350° F. Drain the lasagna and pat dry with paper towels. Mix the oregano and basil with the tomato sauce. Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9 x 3-inch pan. Arrange 3 lasagna pieces, slightly overlapping, in the pan. Spoon the spinach mixture on top in an even layer. Spread with half of the ricotta. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese.

Arrange a layer of 3 more lasagna pieces. Spread with the mushrooms, the remaining ricotta mixture, and 1/4 cup of the mozzarella. Top with the remaining 3 pieces of lasagna, 1 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake until brown and bubbly, about 45 minutes.

Makes 8 servings

Prep Time: 15 mins
    Cook Time: 1 hr
    Total Time: 1 hr 15 mins

Nutrition Facts
    Number of Servings: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 243
    Total Fat: 7.7 g
    Cholesterol: 23.7 mg
    Sodium: 228 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 29.9 g
    Protein: 15.1 g

243 cals in ONE PIECE!!!!!!!!! that's what I'm talking about!!! :)

This is a great recipe -- I love pasta. I love cheese. I love veggies :)