Lasik Eye Surgery

Options
Alexa712
Alexa712 Posts: 62 Member
My daughter wants Lasik eye surgery. Were going for a consult on Sat. Im on the fence about this... Has anyone done this and how was your outcome. I want to know the pros and cons if anyone has had this and would you recommend it... Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Had it done and I recommend it to anyone. It's been about... geez over 10 years now and I still see fine. The procedure itself isn't exactly a blast, but it's not the worst thing in the world. I don't even remember that I used to not have perfect vision.

A day or two after the surgery you see just fine and it's smooth sailing from there. A small amount of people experience problems, and that just sucks, but everything has risks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I had PRK done 4 years ago and should have had it done even sooner!!! Dang, I wish I had done it back in the 90's. I had discomfort for a couple of days, but it's very well worth it!!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    How old is she? I had it done at 20 years old and I haven't had any problems. For some people, their eyes keeps changing until they're about 23-26. You don't want to have to get it redone. Your eye doctor should be able to help you figure that out.
  • Bratsche
    Bratsche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did for myself! If shes old enough, to have it done, by all means - do it! The procedure isn't bad at all. Just make sure you have a trustworthy doc - good luck!
  • Alexa712
    Options
    How old is she? I had it done at 20 years old and I haven't had any problems. For some people, their eyes keeps changing until they're about 23-26. You don't want to have to get it redone. Your eye doctor should be able to help you figure that out.

She is 25... I'm so happy to hear good reviews...
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I got it done roughly 8 years ago. I was 23. I don't remember what my vision was but if I wasn't wearing my contacts (like swimming) people were mostly just fuzzy blobs and I couldn't make out their features. The procedure didn't last long. I had Valium to relax me. Directly afterwards, my eyes watered like crazy and I couldn't see a thing just because of the excessive tears. My parents took me home and I fell asleep. When I woke up a few hours later, I could read the alarm clock across the room. My vision is now 20/15 (better than 20/20!!!). My eyes were extremely bloodshot for about a week and you have to wear some protective goggles when you sleep so you don't rub your eyes. They accidentally ripped out some of my eyelashes with the surgical tape and as a 23 year old female that was a bit of a tragedy until they grew back :). Overall, I highly recommend it. Just be sure to go with a doctor you trust and not a "bargain."
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had it done four years ago, wish that I'd done it sooner!!! Well worth it. I'm at the age where reading glasses come into play, but they informed me before the lasik that would be an issue. Cheap reading glasses are readily available.

Don't go for the one eye near and one eye far sighted procedure, that messes up your depth perception. IMHO

DO IT if you can afford it. If not, save up and DO IT!!!
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had it done and would recommend it as long as she is a candidate. My vision went from having to wear glasses/contacts to 20/20 and that was about 7 years ago. It does make it a little harder to see for night driving and in the rain for me, but well worth it. I always had issues seeing at night anyway. They do say by the time you hit your 40's you may need reading glasses. I think there have been enough surgeries done to prove it successful. My Dr. was one of the first to perform and has done over 10,000 surgeries so just do your homework before deciding on a Dr. if she goes through with it.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    My best friend had it done....she was getting married in a month and didn't want to have to wear glasses down the aisle. Doctor told her it was a possibility of redness for 2 weeks at the most. A month later, she walked down the aisle with one blood shot red eye. She is awesome and we had a great day anyway. It wasn't anything the photographer couldn't Photoshop out ;-)

I wouldn't plan any huge events for a couple of months but she is VERY happy with the overall results. I vote yes!!!
  • Alexa712
    Options
    Best thing I ever did for myself! If shes old enough, to have it done, by all means - do it! The procedure isn't bad at all. Just make sure you have a trustworthy doc - good luck!

Alot people say its the best thing they ever done.. She is 25.. this appointment on Sat. is the 2nd one were going on... The dr. is very well known and has done hundreds of procedures.

thanks for your input....
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I had it done in 2000. I couldn't even read the big E on the eye charts. I still have great distance vision but like any 60ish person, I need reading glasses. I am very happy with the results.

Just do your research and get a good doc with experience and ask a lot of questions. This would be no time to shop price.
  • Alexa712
    Options
    My best friend had it done....she was getting married in a month and didn't want to have to wear glasses down the aisle. Doctor told her it was a possibility of redness for 2 weeks at the most. A month later, she walked down the aisle with one blood shot red eye. She is awesome and we had a great day anyway. It wasn't anything the photographer couldn't Photoshop out ;-)

I wouldn't plan any huge events for a couple of months but she is VERY happy with the overall results. I vote yes!!!

LOL!!!! I love your costume!!!! Thanks for you input..
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! She will be thrilled not having to worry about glasses and contacts again.
    I had mine done in 2004 and my vision is still great. I'm happy about waking up and being able to see the clock.

This will be a wonderful gift for her.
  • Alexa712
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... I'm starting to feel better about doing this... I know all surgery's have risks, but playing with your eyes is too scary.. I'm glad that everyone's experience went well. Thanks again for your help.. I will let everyonone know what we decide.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I had LASIK done in 2004. I have regrets..that i didn't have it done 20 years sooner!

When I had it done my eyesight was 20/457 and 20/375. I couldn't see the alarm clock when i woke up. I wore glasses and contacts for years.

I haven't had one challenge in 7 years. I could see 20/15 by the time they finished. Took a nap woke up and could see the outline of trees for the first time in my life.

As far as investments it's the best I've ever made.
  • Alexa712
    Options
    I say go for it! She will be thrilled not having to worry about glasses and contacts again.
    I had mine done in 2004 and my vision is still great. I'm happy about waking up and being able to see the clock.

This will be a wonderful gift for her.

She just wants to wake up and be able to see.. LOL!!! I happy to hear everyone's great recommendations...
  • Alexa712
    Options
    I had LASIK done in 2004. I have regrets..that i didn't have it done 20 years sooner!

When I had it done my eyesight was 20/457 and 20/375. I couldn't see the alarm clock when i woke up. I wore glasses and contacts for years.

I haven't had one challenge in 7 years. I could see 20/15 by the time they finished. Took a nap woke up and could see the outline of trees for the first time in my life.

As far as investments it's the best I've ever made.

Thats what she keeps telling me that this is a great investment... No more contacts and glasses... she's been wearing glasses since she was 12.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had it done about 6 years ago, before I started grad school. I'm 30 now, and just had to get a pair of reading glasses last year, but with all the reading I do, it's pretty much expected. I've had friends' doctors tell them to wait until they finish grad school so they don't have to read as much. I say go ahead and get it done - it's the best decision and investment I've ever made.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I had it done four years ago, wish that I'd done it sooner!!! Well worth it. I'm at the age where reading glasses come into play, but they informed me before the lasik that would be an issue. Cheap reading glasses are readily available.

Don't go for the one eye near and one eye far sighted procedure, that messes up your depth perception. IMHO

DO IT if you can afford it. If not, save up and DO IT!!!

This exactly...:smile:
  • Alexa712
    Options
    I had it done about 6 years ago, before I started grad school. I'm 30 now, and just had to get a pair of reading glasses last year, but with all the reading I do, it's pretty much expected. I've had friends' doctors tell them to wait until they finish grad school so they don't have to read as much. I say go ahead and get it done - it's the best decision and investment I've ever made.

She's finished with grad school, so no worries... Yea she keeps trying to convince me that its the best investment.. Thanks for you help.