late eating

Options
I am going to join the gym on the weekend but, if i am going straight to the gym from work every night and not getting home until 7pm and not eating until 8pm is this bad!?

Replies

• lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bump, would like to know cos I usually eat at 8 ish too!
  • RobinBenetz
    Options
    It's not good, but if you keep those meals light then won't be too bad. I am on the Zrii diet and if I get home too late, I just have the meal replacement shake instead.
  • mudar146
    mudar146 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump...
    I
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat unless it makes it difficult for you to sleep.
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I eat late every night & I'm still losing weight
  • snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Its not the best, but, try eating lean protiens w vegetables.. Not alot of carbs. Are you eating anything before you go work out? My trainer said its best to work out at night cuz we can burn off all that we ate through out the day, but we gotta work out when we can right so...Welcome to the journey...
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You should always try to eat within 90 minutes after a work out regardless of the time!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat late night, every night ( Low fat popcorn and a piece of fruit before bed, usually after 10:00). I just make sure I leave calories for it. I had no trouble losing weight. :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want, meal timing is a myth. It has no effect on weight loss.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options

This.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Because of our schedules my husband and I eat late everynight...anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30....that's what we are accustomed to. From what I understand it really does not make a difference it's calories in vs calories burned. I like going to bed with a pleasantly full belly...we eat appropriate portions so we are not stuffed...just full.
  • Lillemeddy
    Options
    I can't get a clear answer on the subject myself, and I am quite curious if my current habits are unhealthy.
    I keep reading mixed answers to this one.

I work out 7 days a week, but on Mon, Tues and Friday - I don not get out of the gym until10 PM, sometimes later.

From what I understand, it is in fact better to eat SOMETHING than nothing at all. Just watch what you eat. After just cardio, I would stay away from carbs at least an hour after you work out, but if there are weightlifting involved - you want both carbs and protein.
  • krl523
    krl523 Posts: 53
    Options
    It really just depends on when you go to bed. You shouldnt eat 2 hours before bedtime...also, you should eat something light before you workout and just opt for a shake or something low fat if it's late. A trainer even told me if I absolutely get hungry, than a bowl of cereal would be fine!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating late at night! I prefer it, try to keep myself busy 'til about 1900 then I cook so I eat between 1930 and 2000 myself. Means I finish around 2030, wash up and tidy up until about 2100 and so I haven't snacked! By 2200 I've done a few odds and sods, and I have a high carb but small snack for bed. By the time the sugars have normalised, melatonin has been released, I feel sleepy and go to bed nice and sound on a higher blood glucose level which helps aid sleep and feed your brain as opposed to your muscles energy! It won't make you store fat eating late or any of that BS you may have heard. Basically, a study was done where people ate late at night gained weight...turned out the results were skewed...those people ate dinner, and were snacking or eating ANOTHER meal late so their overall daily calories were too high for what they required so they gained weight...because they ate all the time!

Keep eating late at night if you need to, just make sure you don't go over your calories required! A calorie in is a calorie in and it doesn't matter what time you put it in at! :)

Hope that helps!
  • Lillemeddy
    Options

So you're telling me that even if I eat at 11 o'clock at night, because that is when I am home from the gym - that is not bad?

I didn't think so either, but the internet refuses to give me a clear answer on this. I've been googling the subject for weeks, trying to figure this out. Drives me nuts lol.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It is a habit I am trying to break. When my new week starts (on Sunday) I am going to work on shifting one of my evening snacks to earlier in the day. Hopefully this will make me less hungry when I get home.
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    BY THE WAY... you can eat right before bed but it should be carb/sugar food. THIS WILL HELP YOU SLEEP! I saw a shrink when I had some sleep problems (proper doctor one not a counsellor, he has years of experience in sleep problems in particular) and he explained to me why I should have a carb snack/ meal before bed. As explained above. Just avoid caffeine containing products (yes that does include chocolate...a little known fact it contains caffeine)

Suggestions are something like:
    a sugary oatey biscuit such as a hobnob (or two!)
    hot milk with honey
    a small sandwich
    toast with a mashed banana
    dried fruit

Hope that helps as some people are posting rubbish with arbitrary times not to eat before bed.... ignore it... its pure rumour!

Remember a hungry animal can't sleep as he wants to hunt! :)
  • RAFValentina
    Options
    exactly! rad my 2 posts on this thread! :) Hope it helps.... a calorie in is a calorie in and it doesn't matter what time it goes in at. It will still be digested and metabolised. What type of food you eat may affect stuff though. Carbs before bed aid sleep!
  • VictoriaAStone
    Options
    woww thanks guys!!! Very helpful so i will go to the gym for 5.30pm work out and be home at 7pm eat at half seven and then after i can do all my chores (we all know its a slog but got to be done) then shower sit down and it will be too late to snack which is a bonus as i have got really bad at that!!! cheers all : D
  • Gr8Flood
    Options
    Victoria,
    The most important thing about eating that I have learned is to do a lot of it is smaller amounts. I eat early, late, and every hour or two in-between. Keep snack bags of veggies or other health snacks. the more you munch through the day and night the more you will burn fat. It jacks your metabolism up every time you eat something. Make it something healthy and you win. Also, make sure to get some good natural protein within 30 minutes or so of your workout. It will help your body in many ways. So work out and then eat health afterward, then eat some more :) You will never feel truly hungry and you will lose lots of unwanted fat.