Bike recommendations

Options
Hey all,
I am in the process of trying to get a new bike (my old one has given up the ghost) and I wanted y'alls feedback. I am planning to commute to and from work (7 miles one way) and use it to run errands. For those of you that commute or ride bikes on roads regularly, which bike would you recommend? My old one is a mountain bike also which I road around trails and such.
Thanks!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I have a Breezer that I really like. They come equipped and have an internal hub:
    http://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/transportation

Hope you find one you like!
  • MaureenF1969
    MaureenF1969 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    For commuting I would get a road bike, I guess if you plan on doing both trails/road..maybe then a hybrid or simply a moutain bike. Really depends on where you fall...

Trek, Fisher and Giant are all good brands..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want...

Speed/efficiency or comfort?
    Racks for carrying capacity?
    Fenders?
    etc.

I've ridden my tri bike to work, but I don't recommend it for the average person. A hardtail mountain bike with racks and road slicks is probably the most versitile option, but a touring bike with racks and fenders is a solid option too.

• angelapolite
    Options
    I'm looking for a bike as well, but not looking to spend $1000 on one. I found this one that got good reviews and is inexpensive.
    http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Discovery-Womens-Hybrid-Wheels/dp/B0030UESQY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1320240625&sr=8-8
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    This is the one that I am really liking right now, the Schwinn hybrid was another one that I am looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00432U6TG/ref=asc_df_B00432U6TG1765145?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1500-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B00432U6TG

The bike having handle brakes is a must and I want one that will be able to go from road to trails. I have bad knees so the intense biking just cant happen anymore since they want to preform double knee replacement on me and I am only 23.
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a mid priced Novara women's mt bike from REI that I put on lighter tires. I ride to work 5 miles one way, works great. Just bought a rack and truck so I don't have to carry a back pack. I ride bike paths, trails, road, etc.... Love it.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    This is the one that I am really liking right now, the Schwinn hybrid was another one that I am looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00432U6TG/ref=asc_df_B00432U6TG1765145?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1500-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395097&creativeASIN=B00432U6TG

The bike having handle brakes is a must and I want one that will be able to go from road to trails. I have bad knees so the intense biking just cant happen anymore since they want to preform double knee replacement on me and I am only 23.

I like this one too! I noticed it's a 3 speed. Do you think this one is better than the link I sent?
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a slicked-up MTB or maybe a Hybrid. Cyclocross bike might also work but not to everybody's taste...
    It's a pity you need it for off-road too, else I would say definitely get a road bike, they are unbeatable, imho!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Look locally for a used bike... a trek or specialized mountain bike (no rear suspension) should be pretty easy to find and will give you a solid bike that will last and suit your needs perfectly. Put fenders on it if you want and some light duty racks and you're set.
  • Phoenix24601
    Options

I like this one too! I noticed it's a 3 speed. Do you think this one is better than the link I sent?

I like it better because of all the extras that are in the description.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    About the Schwinns:

A three speed is fine if you live in a flat area - if there any hills, even little ones, you may want a 7+ speed

I would never buy a bike I hadn't ridden

A comfortable saddle/seat is one of the most important considerations - the cushier seats are not necessarily the best for longer rides

If I had to do it over, I would not have bought a "step through" (which is what they are calling the bikes previously referred to as "women's bikes") - the reason is simple: they are hard to put on the back of a car.

Hope that helps
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My son has a Specialized Cross Trail Comp - it's an excellent bike - well worth looking at for your use.
    My other son has a Specialized Rockhopper Comp - again excellent but probably a bit too focused on off road and quite expensive.

I have taken more to road bikes and just got a Battaglin Start (Italian make) from Wiggle - very pleased with it - its well fitted out and a lot of bike for the money compared to other makes. Only possible downside for you is that it has not fitments for a rack...but I think a ruck sack is a better bet that a rack anyway.
  • Phoenix24601
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    About the Schwinns:

A three speed is fine if you live in a flat area - if there any hills, even little ones, you may want a 7+ speed

I would never buy a bike I hadn't ridden

A comfortable saddle/seat is one of the most important considerations - the cushier seats are not necessarily the best for longer rides

If I had to do it over, I would not have bought a "step through" (which is what they are calling the bikes previously referred to as "women's bikes") - the reason is simple: they are hard to put on the back of a car.

Hope that helps

Thank you for the info. I wont buy any until I find it in a store and test it. Thats how I am with most things.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have a Ridgeback Speed and I love it

ridgeback-speed-2010-womens-hybrid-bike.jpg
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a hybrid, which takes a rack, then change the tyres if they are chunky. It is also worth noting that large tubing is often less flexible, so you'll feel the bumps more.

Find a decent independent cycle shop and take the time to talk to them. If they are pushy, go elsewhere, and never, ever buy a bike the same day as viewing it. Walk away, search out the reviews on the Internet, and think if it is really what you want/need.

I ride a Trek 7000 for my daily 42 miles commute, and a road bike for 70+ mile/day club rides.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Only possible downside for you is that it has not fitments for a rack...but I think a ruck sack is a better bet that a rack anyway.

The latest versons on the seat post racks are really quite good, so these are becoming much more of an option these days.