what is the best way to lose body fat?

Options
What is the best way to lose body fat? ( out of the kitchen)

Cardio? Weights? combo?

I have been working out for about 4 months seriously. Running a mile a day, just started insanity and before that was doing jillian michaels. At one point i had a trainer once a week. My problem is that i dont see a difference in me. I've lost 20lbs, ( 150-129.8) but i still have that jiggle in my stomach and its driving me crazy!

Some one also told me its body type and i just might not have the body type to be lean, which sort of hurt. I dont mind being thick and curvy i'm okay with that, i just dont want to be jiggling in the wrong places!

My current weekday work out is:
1 mile run
1 insanity dvd
20 min power walk
and ab work.
I do some aerobics on the side, but not sure how to classify those. * Trainer's instruction*

My weekend work out is:
2 mile run
1 insanity dvd
Jillian 6pk6wk.

Any help i appreciate!
Everyone have a great day!

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The training looks great!

What will amp up your fat loss is having a focus on your food plan. Up to 80% of reaching your fat loss goals is based around what you are doing with your food plan.

I would be more than happy to pass on what I have used and what my other gal pals I have help - use.

Hugs,
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your routine looks good, but can you sustain that type of cardio routine long term? I'd add in a few days of weight training. IMO, long term success is more likely when strength training is included... it builds muscle which burns the fat for you.

Then just make sure your diet is in good shape... maintain a moderate calorie deficit and get plenty of protein (1g per lb of body weight as a rule of thumb).
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Ever thought that you might be over training? Do you take a day off? What is your meal plan like?
  • PersnicketyFits
    Options
    Wow, that seems like a lot of working out. Just curious, what's your net calories approximately each day? Also, how much water are you drinking? If you're working out that intensely every day, you might not be getting enough so you could be looking at water weight. Also, how much protein made a huge difference with me (especially for breakfast). Morning protein is hard for me since my taste buds have decided they don't like eggs so much lately.
  • Gr8Flood
    Options
    If you add small amounts of weight to your cardio (hand weights or similar) you will burn much higher levels. I know that you said out of the kitchen, but that last layer of belly fat will not leave without huge efforts in the kitchen. Also, you are doing it correctly to strength train one day and cardio the next.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    80% diet, 10% exercise (cardio and strength), 10% genetics.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Cardio? Weights? combo?

I have been working out for about 4 months seriously. Running a mile a day, just started insanity and before that was doing jillian michaels. At one point i had a trainer once a week. My problem is that i dont see a difference in me. I've lost 20lbs, ( 150-129.8) but i still have that jiggle in my stomach and its driving me crazy!

Some one also told me its body type and i just might not have the body type to be lean, which sort of hurt. I dont mind being thick and curvy i'm okay with that, i just dont want to be jiggling in the wrong places!

1 mile run
    1 insanity dvd
    20 min power walk
    and ab work.
    I do some aerobics on the side, but not sure how to classify those. * Trainer's instruction*

My weekend work out is:
    2 mile run
    1 insanity dvd
    Jillian 6pk6wk.

Any help i appreciate!
    Not enough strength training IMO. You burn the MOST fat when you're at rest. Yep, not when you're working out. So raise your resting metabolic rate and you'll burn more fat. How do you do that? Hard and heavy weight training. Compounds movements with heavy weights and low reps builds strength but can greatly increase you RMR.
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Try doing HIIT!

Works great. My cardio instructor says its one of, if not the best way. Keeps your body from being in a steady constant pace say when you run. Mixes things up and causes you to burn more.
  • nirvana1
    Options
    first of all, just to let you know, you generally shouldn't be working your abs everyday, they need to rest to see results. Personally I think circuit training, cardio and strength combined, is the best way to burn fat. You burn more calories doing both at the same time- for instance, jumping jacks with dumbells. You really need to be giving yourself a rest day as well, I normally take Sunday to rest.
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options

Cardio? Weights? combo?

1 mile run
    1 insanity dvd
    20 min power walk
    and ab work.

My weekend work out is:
    2 mile run
    1 insanity dvd
    Jillian 6pk6wk.

Any help i appreciate!
    Not enough strength training IMO. You burn the MOST fat when you're at rest. Yep, not when you're working out. So raise your resting metabolic rate and you'll burn more fat. How do you do that? Hard and heavy weight training. Compounds movements with heavy weights and low reps builds strength but can greatly increase you RMR.

This^
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Rest is as important if not more to your training. You need to get a rest day in there somewhere.
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Its really that simple. I don't know why people overcomplicate things.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Maintain a calorie deficit.
    Get plenty of protein (1g per lb of body weight).
    Lift.

repeat.
    ^^^^ This^^ I will just add LIFT HEAVY!! Don't go for the 3 or 5 lb weights. Pick up some weights that are a real challenge. You will not bulk up I promise but if you want to get rid of the jiggly stuff LIFT!!!
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I do believe that is .8 g per Kilo of body weight... This 1g per pound is miss information from somewhere... not sure where but somewhere... mixing metric and english measurement systems just isn't how we do things...
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I agree that having a rest day or two each week would help. As for the training days, I'd like to see 2-3 days of more intense resistance training...whether its lifting heavy doing the primary compound exercises like presses, pull-ups, squats and deadlifts...or some form of HIIT (I've got a couple HIIT routines in my workout blog below).

also....continue to maintain a caloric deficit.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Precisely. Also, how much weight/fat do you have to lose? 4 months might seem like a long time but it isn't. How many years did it take you to put on the extra weight?

Add strength training to your exercise routine. And I'm not talking about using light weights while watching an exercise DVD like Jillian Michaels, The Firm, etc. There are lots of great programs out there. I'm currently doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. Check your local library or Amazon for the book. When I'm done with that I will look for another program, maybe Starting Strength.

Keep at it, you're doing great!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    This ^ Heavy weights increase muscle which will lead to more calories burned at rest. Remember rest is important so that you muscle tissue can rebuild. Get enough sleep, drink enough water and focus primarily on diet. From the info you gave, you are overtraining.

Cardio? Weights? combo?

1 mile run
    1 insanity dvd
    20 min power walk
    and ab work.

My weekend work out is:
    2 mile run
    1 insanity dvd
    Jillian 6pk6wk.

Any help i appreciate!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I do believe that is .8 g per Kilo of body weight... This 1g per pound is miss information from somewhere... not sure where but somewhere... mixing metric and english measurement systems just isn't how we do things...

Actually you're wrong. .8/kg is a ridiculously small amount. 1g/lb is alot for someone that's overweight (fat) but someone that is lean it's about right. More accurately, it should be 1g/lb of lean mass. So someone that has alot of fat to lose, using 0.8g/lb of body weight would be a good starting point.