Lunch suggestions please!

Options
castadiva
castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
I have been eating cottage cheese and smoked turkey slices on crispbread for lunch most days for the last five weeks or so, and I simply can't face it any more! I have added a bowl of soup and/or some cherry tomatoes some days, but the thought of cottage cheese right now makes me want to gag. It has been working, though (in conjunction with other things, of course), so I don't want to change things too drastically.

Does anyone have any suggestions for lunches? Essential factors: must be things I can buy from the (UK) supermarket to keep in the fridge at work, need minimal or no prep. time, and be easy to eat at my desk, ideally low-calorie/high-protein/moderate-carbs and good-fats!

Any thoughts? Ideas would be much appreciated!

Replies

• skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    How about a nice big salad with some chicken or beans or some egg on it!?
  • Legalchica
    Options
    Turkey sandwiches :) Nature's Own Honey Wheat bread has only 40 cals per slice and there is also a low sodium version. Light MW, american cheese. I usally add pickels and salt and pepper for flavor. YUM
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 slices of honey ham, american cheese, baby spinach and lite miracle whip on 35 calorie bread, an apple or banana and a 80 cal raspberry yogurt. I think yours sounds good, but I can see where you would get sick of it after awhile.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I usually bring leftovers from the dinner I made the night before which is always low cal and high protein. That said one of my staples that I do for a quick lunch is:

2-2.6 oz packs of Starkist Tuna in water 160 calories
    1 TBSP Vlasic Relish 15 calories
    2 TBSP Kraft Miracle Whip Light 40 calories
    Total Calories 215

You can add a hard boiled egg for another 70 calories. I usually just throw the MW and relish in a tub and then mix everything at lunch time. That way it's super fresh! I will then bring a piece of fruit for 60-80 calories and veggies for another 50-100 calories.

Another option is to keep the fixings for an Unwich. I don't know if you have Jimmy John's there, but you can go to their website and check it out. I'll go there, but have been thinking more and more I should just buy the stuff to make my own and save my cash! Anyway, if I get the #7 unwich skipping the cheese and mayo but adding the veggies, mustard and hot peppers it's like 174 calories.

Hope these help!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    An 'unwich' - I like that name! We don't have a Jimmy Johns in the UK, but it's a good concept. Thank you all for the suggestions. I will have to investigate and see if any UK manufacturers make a low-calorie bread to try the turkey/ham sandwich ideas, which does rather appeal. Salad is a good thought, but not really what I fancy now that the nights are drawing in and the temperature is dropping! Thanks for commenting anyway :-)
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Don't know what you can get in the UK, but whole wheat bread that is lower calorie, baby spinach, mustard, slice of tomato, lettuce if you want, and turkey or ham that is lower in sodium usually is a good lunch staple and you can bring all ingridents to work and eat off all week, also saving you some $.
    Salad, fruits, veggies, you name - be creative. I try to because I hate eating same thing over and over. Happy eating :)
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh and any low sodium soups.... there are several on the market that are lower calorie, lower sodium. You could do half the can and half a sandwich.