Illness recovery and exercise.

Options
I'm getting over a mild chest cold, as in I've been feeling a little crappy and coughing a bit but not congested with liquids/mucus or anything. (yeah gross i know)

I've been really wanting to get a 30DS in before Christmas and I tried starting it today. I had to stop 1/3 of the way through because I was gasping for air so badly and coughing that it wasn't worth it anymore. I've done the exercises before completely had had no problems with it, I just wasn't very consistent, but I've never had this problem even in the beginning. And I was only on level one!

What is your opinion? Give it a few more days before starting again? Push through it?

What do you do when you get sick and still want to exercise?

Replies

• Legalchica
    Options
    run :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I would suggest avoiding cardio.. Do something like pilates :)
  • 8dozendiets
    Options
    I've just researched this on WebMD. For some reason, today I cant' load WebMD. I do recall it said IF you have a fever, DO NOT EXERCISE. Period.

Prevention took it a bit further. Here is the link and the info:

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/tips-for-success/exercise-while-sick/article/e75e72e50d803110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

ule I like to use is called the "neck check." You can exercise while sick if your symptoms are all above the neck, like a runny nose or a sore throat. Of course you should always listen to your body and take the intensity of your workout down a bit if your regular pace feels too strenuous.

If you're suffering from congestion or low energy, exercise often helps you feel better. A brisk walk can unclog your sinuses better than an afternoon on the couch. And gentle exercise will rev up your circulation, to counteract that sluggish, rundown feeling. But this is definitely a personal decision. You're the best judge of how you feel and what your body can handle when you're sick.

However, if you have any symptoms below the neck, such as body aches, chills, stomach problems or diarrhea, then I advise you to take it easy until you're feeling better. And if you're running a fever, no matter where your symptoms are, put off exercising until your temperature returns to norma
  • 8dozendiets
    Options
    I am sick right now. It's a head cold. I feel lousy but I've exercised through it. I just don't push myself.

It's up to you as long as you don't have a fever. If you think, "I really can't do this", then you probably can't.

Feel better soon.