Flu jab?

Options
Anybody had the flu jab before? Did it make you feel ill afterwards?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    flu jab?
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Influenza is a mutating virus with multiple strains so there's no such thing as immunity in this case. Getting the vaccine does give you a 'mini-flu' (which is how the vaccine works, it gives you the virus so your body can build of defenses against it), but it affects different people to varying degrees. Some feel just as bad as having the full flu, some don't even notice. Because the shot doesn't protect against many strains of flu and because of the low probability of getting the flu, I skip it.
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lots of people get sick after and it is usually flu-like symptoms. Give it a few days and see if you feel better, if not call the doc!

Get better soon...
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I'm not feeling ill...just weighing up the pros and cons of getting the jab...thanks to those of you who have answered.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Influenza is a mutating virus with multiple strains so there's no such thing as immunity in this case. Getting the vaccine does give you a 'mini-flu' (which is how the vaccine works, it gives you the virus so your body can build of defenses against it), but it affects different people to varying degrees. Some feel just as bad as having the full flu, some don't even notice. Because the shot doesn't protect against many strains of flu and because of the low probability of getting the flu, I skip it.

This is absolute bollocks. The flu jab (at least in the UK) is not a live vaccine. It will not make you feel ill. Your arm might be a bit sore for a day.

I had the flu and pneumonia vaccines and went for a run the same day.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    After actually getting the flu one year and being out of work for a full month, I get the flu vaccine every year. I figure if it prevents me from getting even one strain of flu, it was worth it. I never feel sick afterwards.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've never had one. And I haven't had the flu in over 10 years. I've known people to get one...and then get the flu. No thanks...
  • Lanaellithorn
    Lanaellithorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have it every year. It doesnt make you feel ill as such but i sometimes get minor symptoms of a cold. The after effect i get is the feeling of a heavy, bruised arm where its injected.

Worth it though as it lasts all year round
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    you again?

i work for a hospital, we're required to get it. it always makes people sick for a bit. they're injecting a small bit of virus into your bloodstream - it's normal. sometimes it makes your arm hurt. you'll survive. and if you don't, you won't care.
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    The flu shot is not a live vaccine, and there is literally no chance of a non-live vax giving you the virus-- there is a chance that YOU will have a rare reaction that causes you to feel icky, though. And no, that's not super likely. (eta: Actually, I forget, I think the nasal mist we have here in the US might be live? Still, my kids have gotten it, no problem. It's still very unlikely to bother you in the least. And FYI, the nasal mist of course doesn't hurt at all, and the shot from the flu vax is the tiniest needle ever, hardly feel it, truly.)

I've had the flu vaccine pretty much every year, when there hasn't been a shortage anyway. My kids get it every year as well. None of us has ever had even the tiniest reaction. None of us has ever gone on to have the flu, either. Of course, there's a chance we wouldn't have gotten the flu, anyway, I'm a 'better safe than sorry' kind of person, and the reality is, though people think of "the flu" as the 12-24 hour throw up bug, the real flu, influenze, offers days or weeks of misery; no thanks.
    The other thing is, if you contract it, you're probably spreading it to a few people. I might say "oh, I'll survive the flu, no big deal,' but if I get it, I probably give it to my immuno-compromised mother, or some stranger who just had a liver transplant at the grocery store, before I ever show a symptom, and it might kill them. So it is a big deal.

I find the logic of avoiding the vax because multiple strains of flu exist a little fuzzy-- yes, there are tons of strains. And yes, they pick the few that are likely to be the worst in the upcoming season to innoculate against. The reason those strains don't go on to spread as much is precisely because so many people get the shot.
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    The flu shot is not a live vaccine, and there is literally no chance of a non-live vax giving you the viru

Exactly! This!

Get the facts people! before you spout off suggestion people don't get vaccinated because they will have an increased chance of getting flu. Mis-information is so dangerous!
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

This is absolute bollocks. The flu jab (at least in the UK) is not a live vaccine. It will not make you feel ill. Your arm might be a bit sore for a day.

With all due respect, it is not "absolute bollocks" and it does make me "feel ill."

I have had the flu shot 3 times and every single time, without fail, I spent the next day or two in bed alternating between a high fever and chills. The high fever and chills happened within 24 hours of the shot so I can't help but feel there is a strong causal relationship between the shot and the high fever and chills I experienced.

It should also be noted that I have gone on to get the flu later in the flu season after every time I got the flu shot while in those years I have not gotten a flu shot I have not gotten the flu. While I don't think there is nearly as strong a causal relationship (if there is one at all) between my have the shot or not and my getting the flu later or not, it was enough to convince me to not get a shot for the last few years.
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I work in a pharmacy and we're required to get it, I ran a fever for a few hours after I had my shot this year and I slept like a rock, but woke up just fine.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have gotten it every year for a while. Usually no reaction. I got a pretty high fever this year. 101 I was better the following morning.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Just got it this morning and I got a dum dum. It was awesome!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    The thing is, you can find people who will say "I've had sex unprotected 978 times, and I've never gotten pregnant." And that may be interestingly true. But I'm going to go ahead and trust science, kwim? The flu vax is not a live virus, there is no scientific way if gave you the flu. There is possibly a magical way, I suppose, but not a scientific one. LOL Though there is a chance you have a reaction, perhaps you're allergic to an ingredient or something to that effect-- it's not the flu. And if you react, then by all means, avoid it!

There are people who have gone on to get "the flu" after geting the flu shot. This is possible, but scientifically (not anecdotally, not magically, but scientifically), you're protected, and you just had the bad luck of getting a different strain, or more often, you had something else and called it "the flu." There are still tons of people who think "the flu" is a gastro-intenstinal virus, let alone other misconceptions, so I don't really put a lot of stock into all the anecdotes that abound on the internet regarding this, and I hope readers of this thread don't, too.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Got it yesterday... afterwards I was a little tired and had a low fever. Today I feel fine in that regard.

The injection site HURTS though... I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but for some reason flu shots really hurt for me!! Last year I got a shot in each arm (flu shot and something else, don't remember what) and the flu shot DEFINITELY hurt more, and left my arm sore for days.

All day yesterday after I got the shot, I couldn't lift my arm higher than my shoulder... so if you use your arms a lot, just be cautious, because it might hurt. Still hurts today, but I'm able to lift it higher than yesterday, so that's good!!
  • Givemewings
    Options
    I'm not feeling ill...just weighing up the pros and cons of getting the jab...thanks to those of you who have answered.

Absolute bollocks lol :laugh:
    Thankyou
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    SarabellPlus3 speaks the truth and with some facts and science. Just because someone got "the flu" (or a normal cold) at some point after they had the flu jab does not mean that was the CAUSE.
  • Givemewings
    Options

With all due respect, it is not "absolute bollocks" and it does make me "feel ill."

I have had the flu shot 3 times and every single time, without fail, I spent the next day or two in bed alternating between a high fever and chills. The high fever and chills happened within 24 hours of the shot so I can't help but feel there is a strong causal relationship between the shot and the high fever and chills I experienced.

It should also be noted that I have gone on to get the flu later in the flu season after every time I got the flu shot while in those years I have not gotten a flu shot I have not gotten the flu. While I don't think there is nearly as strong a causal relationship (if there is one at all) between my have the shot or not and my getting the flu later or not, it was enough to convince me to not get a shot for the last few years.
    Thanks for your input. I guess everybody is different . I think I will go ahead and have it and hope for the best. I get ill every winter and hope that this may help me.