Dieting when you are sick.. advice

Options
I have been sick for about two weeks now. First it started out as problems with allergies, lead to wheezing and coughing (upper respitory infection) and now I'm feverish and sick at my stomach.

My questions: What do you guys do when you are sick and dieting? At first, I was trying to still work out, but it was causing me to wheez and cough more. I'm sure this is because I come down with asmathic like symptoms when I am sick. So, I've not been able to exercise like normal. I do a lot of cleaning and such when I can just to stay active.

Another question: Yesterday, I slept all day after I got off work because I came down with a high temp and was feeling awful. I only got 2/3 of my calories in for the day and I'm worried that due to this my body may have gone into starvation mode.
Will one day really do that?
I was hoping that maybe since I slept most of the day and night that my body wouldn't have needed as many calories to function and it wouldn't have mattered.

Replies

• Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Eat an extra 200 calories, & take some Vitamin C tablets. Keep the exercise going as much as you can. Sweat helps get rid of sick.

Chin up! It'll go away soon, & if it doesn't, you may want to see a doctor for antibiotics. :sick:

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of sicknees. Fever don't eat just fluids if it's a cold then you need to eat but you don't have to over eat.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have been sick off and on for 2 weeks myself - including having 2 babies sick. I don't push myself too hard or I get worse. Just listen to your body. Don't exercise when you don't have the energy or are feeling really bad. I am currently suffering from no voice and coughing. I was going to do a Jillian workout yesterday but by evening I had no energy. I am still trying to stay under my calories, but I have been over a few times. The scale really hasn't been affected either - I am up a lb from my lowest weight but nothing major. Take care of yourself first!!! Listen to your body and don't over do it.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My advice when sick is REST REST REST! Its what doctors tell me to do. You may eat less, but you are also less active. I have noticed at the beginning of a cold I can go for a long run 6-8 miles and usually sweat the cold right out. Once I am in full blown cold mode or have the flu my body could never handle that and I wouldn't want it too...after all REST! Lots of fluids is key when you are sick...and forget about calories. Your body needs energy to fight of the illness so eat what sounds good and let your body do its job!
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Fevers require energy/calories (more than usual at rest), I would still eat, just avoid dairy or other temperature sensitive foods.
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have been to the doctor once last week and have another appointment this afternoon. I have been put on a strong antibiotic and a steriod shot. That usually does the trick, but not this time. It is not a cold or the flu. I typically get this every year around this time.

I do get in some excercise when I can, but my doctor has recommended that I do not do cardio or anything that is fast pace while I am wheezing and coughing the way I am. I have stuck to deep cleaning my apartment. It is well due and I had a little motivation since I couldn't work out.

So bummed though! I had just started 30DS four days before I got sick!
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Rest.... No exercise except walking to what you feel comfortable. Listen to your body. Ifits hungry feed it. Stick to liquids. Don't look at the scale and wait it out.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Eat an extra 200 calories, & take some Vitamin C tablets. Keep the exercise going as much as you can. Sweat helps get rid of sick.

Chin up! It'll go away soon, & if it doesn't, you may want to see a doctor for antibiotics. :sick:

^Sorry, I think this is bad advice. The Mom in me says if you have a fever you should not exercise. Your body and your compromised immune system needs to recover. Drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. Try to keep your caloric intake up (I know it's not always easy when you are sick). One or two days of being under calorie will not throw your body into "starvation mode" (this term is tossed about a bit to freely on these forums). But not giving your body the proper rest and hydration is needs to recover WILL mess you up! So bed rest for you young lady, movies, hot chocolate a good book and a warm blanket!!
  • jakki_brown
    Options
    I know what you mean. There is no way me and Jillian could work out together in this condition! I hope you get to feeling better soon!
  • jakki_brown
    Options

^Sorry, I think this is bad advice. The Mom in me says if you have a fever you should not exercise. Your body and your compromised immune system needs to recover. Drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. Try to keep your caloric intake up (I know it's not always easy when you are sick). One or two days of being under calorie will not throw your body into "starvation mode" (this term is tossed about a bit to freely on these forums). But not giving your body the proper rest and hydration is needs to recover WILL mess you up! So bed rest for you young lady, movies, hot chocolate a good book and a warm blanket!!

I love your advice! It makes me feel like I am home again! I, of course, asked my mom what she thought I should do, but I felt better asking the community being in the same position as me! Totally awesome mom, I have to say!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If I have a head cold, I'll go for a modest run, if I feel up to it. Anything in the chest, I don't work out until it's cleared out.
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Please make sure you are getting LOTS of fluids.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

I love your advice! It makes me feel like I am home again! I, of course, asked my mom what she thought I should do, but I felt better asking the community being in the same position as me! Totally awesome mom, I have to say!

Aww thanks :blushing: