Anyone else love to hike?

Options
This is my favorite time of year for hiking/backpacking and I go every weekend for at least a long day hike, sometimes go backpacking for 1-2 night trips or longer if I have vacation time and depending on my schedule.

How often do you hike? What is your favorite place to hike? What has been your favorite hike of all time?

Some of my favorite places.....I absolutely adore the Smoky Mountains in TN and NC and they are a regular destination for me. Been a little bit of everywhere in Arizona and the nights there are especially breathtaking. Have a 5 day hiking trip planned in Colorado in the late spring...been there for skiiing, but not hiking so I am excited. Most memorable hike was a 4 day hike along the southeast coast of England, where the beautilful chalk cliffs are, went from Weymouth to Hastings with 2 other friends...I fell in love with that region and would love to go back.

How about you?

Replies

• wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Vermont!
  • atomicpunk1974
    Options
    My husband and I spent a week hiking in the redwood forest along the Del Norte coast of northern CA this summer. It was the most amazing place to hike! Those trees are so awe inspiring! And I loved some of the ocean views at the edge of the forest. That was definitely the best hiking I've ever done.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I love to go hiking but never have anyone to hikin with. my longest hike was 20miles took 8 hours to complete. that was bout 2 years ago

bout 3 weeks ago i went for a hike with a guy and he ended up sexually assultin me. So my hikin days are over unless I go hikin by myself and carry and hand gun for protection or I find a friend who enjoys hiking that I can trust to not attack me.

I've always wanted to go to other states and go hiking.
  • dmacilveen
    dmacilveen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy hiking the East Tennessee area too. We spend many a weekends in Tellico, the Cumberland Gap and portions of the Appalachian trail. I'm primarily in Florida now but hit the Torreya Challenge and Little Grand Canyon in Georgia often.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I love hiking. I happen to live in a lovely pine "forest" in montana, so for me, a beautiful hike is just out the door. :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    We love hiking, it is something I have done all my life. My dad and I used to climb the fourteeners together, here in colorado :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I enjoy bigger, longer hikes... more for the sense of accomplishment though than for the actual activity. Most of my hiking is done in the Adirondacks (upstate NY).
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    One of my favorites was in I believe it's called the Appalachian trail. Absolutely beautiful. Although it is infested with dangerous snakes and bears.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I love hiking. And Fall is also my favorite time to go. We don't get to go nearly as much as we used to due to a special needs grandchild that we help out with. Where doesn't really matter so much to me, but when we were in Montana I admit to being constantly scared of grizzlies and mountain lions when we were in the woods. LOL (we live in the east)

Have you ever tried geocaching? We started this several years ago. It's a great way to cool find out of the way spots (overlooks, waterfalls, etc.) that might now be on the trail map.
  • Dangle52
    Dangle52 Posts: 144
    Options
    Love it slowly doing sections of the Appalachian trail
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Going backpacking this weekend! Hurrah!!!

I love hiking in the Smokies too, and the Asheville area. One of the most memorable hiking vacations we've ever taken was in the Anza Borrego Desert State Park, outside San Diego, CA. Totally different from what we're used to! We normally hike on the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama, or surrounding trails.

I found a great website that uses length of hike plus change in elevation to calculate calories burned:

http://hikingscience.blogspot.com/p/calculate-calories-burned_22.html

I use the AllSport GPS app on my phone to figure out elevation change. The calories come out to about half what MFP calculates, which I'm sure is a much more accurate number.
  • nowornever47
    nowornever47 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, I love hiking now... am pretty new at it, though as I was never in the kind of shape to even want to climb a mountain :) We hiked Scoodic and Black Mountain in NH this summer and are going to hike Mt Monadnock in MA next week... am looking forward to it! I am a bit athsmatic so humidity is my enemy but this time of year should be fine! I haven't done an all-nighter yet but like I said, I'm a newbie so baby steps, ha ha. My husband climbed Mt Washington which was a huge hurdle for him but he did great and loved it! He recently got us outfitted for better outer gear at EMS and REI as we had all of the wrong clothes. What a difference that makes. It's all about the layers, right... So good luck on your hikes and have fun!
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would love to go hiking in Vermont and Maine...especially when the weather is warmer!

Montana has always sounded amazing...any particular region/park that you would suggest?
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    We go backpacking on a regular basis in the Great Smokey Mtns because we live so close. We also go to some local TN parks and did Mt Mitchell in NC recently. I usually like going on moderate to difficult hikes and like to get out and get away from people. It is interesting the amount of people that visit the Smokies but a lot of them never get out of their vehicle. We usually backpack year around but tend to go a lot more in the Fall/Winter.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    wow you all seem to go hiking and backpacking late in the year...here in Colorado hubbie and I are typically done mid-end September.

So yeah, Colorado - love to hike anywhere, especially the 14ers :D.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Great to know there are other hikers out there...this has definitely made me want to check out new destinations for hiking trips for next year!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I like to hike. I don't normally travel too extensively to do so, I have lots of fairly close places that I'll go.
    But the Allegheny National Forest in PA is nice, I've also hiked in parts of NY & VT.
    I love it out west too