Calories

Options
Ok, so the site gave me a certain amount of calories I can take in right? my goal is to lose 2 pounds a week. 1650 Is what I can take in, but daily I always seem to end up with like 700 left over. Do I need to try to take in more calories? I mean, I am not going to make myself sick by taking in to little Calories am I?

Just want to be sure, I feel ok at the end of the day but I want to make sure that having that many left isn't going to make lose to much to fast

Replies

• BigGirlB2008
    BigGirlB2008 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok, so the site gave me a certain amount of calories I can take in right? my goal is to lose 2 pounds a week. 1650 Is what I can take in, but daily I always seem to end up with like 700 left over. Do I need to try to take in more calories? I mean, I am not going to make myself sick by taking in to little Calories am I?

Just want to be sure, I feel ok at the end of the day but I want to make sure that having that many left isn't going to make lose to much to fast
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey,

You will actually make yourself sick (by starving yourself) if you take in too few calories. Wow, so you have been bringing in 900 calories a day? That is not enough and your body will not respond favorably. Instead of losing weight in a healthy way, you WILL lose lbs but it will be muscle, not fat and you won't be able to keep it off that way.

Check what your BMR is and go from there. There are several sites that you can find out your BMR based on your height, weight and age......and how to lower it to lose weight.

You would be surprised at how much you can actually eat and still lose weight steadily.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. It calculates my calorie intake at 1200 but I have about 600 left over. I only eat breakfast lunch and supper, a snack once in awile, but I don't eat when I'm not hungry. So with that being said I don't know what to do for extra calories.I also work out for an hour a day then usually take a leisure walk for about haf an ahour. All I drink is water. Thanks for asking the question maybe I'll get some good advice as well.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest reading this post. It should answer your questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

:smile: Jess
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Check out the message boards also. This ques. has been asked before with some great answers. Go to the message boards and use the search tool to find them.
    You don't have to be right on the mark but closer then just 900 would be better.
  • TamTastic
    Options
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    PLEASE EAT YOUR ALLOWED CALORIES!!!

If you search this topic there are multiple posts regarding this situation, but let me sum it by saying that I WAS doing what you are currently doing. Not only did I stop losing weight when I did start eating more (after reading the numerous posts on here and getting some very wise counsel for fellow MFP's) I had to gain weight about 3 - 4 pounds before I could get the scale headed in the right direction again.

So please learn from my mistakes --- EAT, EAT, EAT....your allowed calories and your exercise calories. I didn't believe this either but it really is true.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Definitly EAT all your calories, PLEASE. we really want to see you suceed

but DON'T eat empty calories, for exemple dont grab the nearest chocolate cake to make up for the calories.

get a handfull of almonds, or a glass of milk, or put peanut butter on an apple (hummm), maybe you need to adjust your portions. but stick to full grains. good protein, low sugar carbs ect.
    I find that eat 5-6 little meal of 200-300 calories a day helps me stay on track.

as well .. you if restric yourself too much you probably won't last too long. and give up faster.
    but having a slower but steady weight lost you are most likely to loose all the weight AND keep it off.

i know it sound contracdictory. but EAT all your calories.

good luck !
    may
  • BigGirlB2008
    BigGirlB2008 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for all your help. this is what i was worried about. I will start making my meals bigger. I was really worried about it but my mom said it was ok. I was pretty sure i needed to eat more so thanks alot. :flowerforyou: I really want to be able suceed so all help is welcome
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Anyone who is eating under 1200 calories needs to bring up their calories and even those at 1200 needs to rethink it and check out your BMR to make sure you are getting ENOUGH.

For those that have been getting under 1200, just take it slow and add a little at each meal. You can add some almonds or lean protein or fruit to bring the calories up. Also, probably the reason you are not hungry is because your body IS in starvation mode. Our bodies are amazing machines and it does what it can to protect us. So, when it thinks you are out in the wilderness by yourself and not eating enough to keep your body healthy, it goes into starvation mode which helps to KEEP you from feeling hungry so you aren't suffering as much.

I wish there were a way for people to look at other peopl's food journals on here to get an idea of how they eat at each meal to get up to 1500 (or more) calories.

You DON'T have to suffer to lose weight.
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    ummm whats wrong with me? I went OVER in calories beucase this girthy body of mine needs more. HAHA

i am aloud 1500 calories i beleive? i need to check that, but i make sure and exericse so i can get MORE!!!!

I seem to be ALWAYS hungry! UGH
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    i am aloud 1360. that doesn't seem to be enough for this bod! LOL