Help with Sugars!!!!

Options
I added the "Sugar" column to my food diary and I cant seem to stay under the amount listed. I eat a lot of fruit (not that thats alllll the sugars listed) but how critical is the sugar column in my diet? Should I ignore it? What are your ideas?

Replies

• rodeomc
    rodeomc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    listening in.
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. Focus on carbs. try making ratio 40/30/30 Carb/ Fat/ Protein. It should be easier. Also make sure most of your carbs are complex/
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Delete the "sugar" column from your diary. Then, continue eating fruit.
  • janak7801
    Options
    I am still new with this and I have the exact same problem! From my understanding, sugar turns into fat but I don't know how it all factors in. I am glad you asked this question as I am wanting to know what others say :-)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    ... From my understanding, sugar turns into fat but I don't know how it all factors in. ...

A caloric surplus turns into fat - whether it's from sugar, protein, fat or other carbohydrates.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Ignore it. Sugar is simply a very quick and efficient way of storing energy. As long as you are under your calorie goal it's fine, especially since you are eating fruit.

Sugar does not turn into fat. Excess calories turn into fat.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    @!!!!!!!!!!!
  • allisonj87
    allisonj87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am always over on my sugar every time I pick up a piece of fruit!! I try to ignore it.
  • gracielee1
    gracielee1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The body needs those sugars in the fruits which give you energy. It's best to eat your fruits in the morning when your metabolism is at its peak so that your body can break down those sugars throughout the day for energy. Try to avoid fruits toward evening as it can exacerbate your stomach acids. I had a small plate of sliced pineapples, cantelopes and strawberries this morning and my metabolism has been working in overtime. Fruits in the morning is a good thing to help you flush out your toxins especially if you had a toxic dinner the night before. .

As for the sugar column concern in your daily log, as long as the consumption of those sugars are mostly in the morning hours, that is ok. But everything should be in moderation
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Excess calories from about any source will turn into fat.

Natural sugars from fruit I don't count as it's got all kinds of micro-nutrients and fiber etc that slow the absorption. Barring underlying health issues don't sweat it. Worry about the added stuff, like sugar you add to coffee or the processed cereals we get in boxes or yogurt etc. Seriously watch your yogurt, 21 grams of added sugar in a bowl? Yikes, brand change. :)

I certainly didn't get to over 300 lbs by eating too many fruit.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Disregard tracking of sugars unless you have a medical condition requiring you to monitor it. As long as you are in a calorie deficit, you will continue to lose weight. Also, you can eat said sugars whenever you feel like it.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fruit eater so I don't track sugar. I track sodium instead since it can lead to water retention, higher blood pressure, etc.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks all will delete the sugar back off!!!!! I added it because my salt was high and added that to monitor it and while there added the sugar in... I love my fresh fruit though! lol
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think eating fruit is more important than monitoring sugar levels, personally. You get a LOT of important vitamins from eating whole foods, especially fruits. If that's where the majority of your sugars are coming from, I think you're fine! If you are like me, and sometimes the majority of your sugars come from bread and M&Ms, then... yeah. Not so good. :)