Just started!

laceybriana
laceybriana Posts: 2
edited October 4 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all! Just signed up for this program to help me keep track of what I eat and where I need to cut back...My goal is to lose 8 lbs by Christmas (or sooner!). Time to get back on track with eating the right sized portions and exercising again. Any tips are appreciated! Thanks! :)

Replies

• kaciroberts1585
    kaciroberts1585 Posts: 53 Member
    Hey there! I started last week and love love love this program. In just over a week I've lost almost 8 pounds and have completely revamped my eating style. I was totally blown away at the amount of calories I was eating in a day while thinking I was doing good. Logging everything has been a HUGE help. Good luck on your goal!! :happy:
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Welcome to the group. I've found it very helpful just keeping track of my food. I hope that you have a wonderful experience here. ENJOY!!!! Feel free to add me. if you'd like.....

12117749.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • niceguy63
    niceguy63 Posts: 38 Member
    Welcome Lacey!!!
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Welcome! This is what works for me best and I have tried almost everything. I think you will love it! Add me if you want.
  • Welcome!

11239200.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    I started this last January and managed to lose 15ish pounds (it's been fluxing lately) in 5-6 months (because of my laziness, probably would have been 1 month if I'd been more dedicated). It really is mostly about just sticking to it. Even if you skip over a weekend, or even drop off for a week because it's stressing you out, if you always try and come back you'll make it. For awhile for me it was dedicated during the week, not so great during the weekend. But I always started over on Monday. Eventually, I made it. It will work for you, and 8 pounds, I think you can totally achieve that goal by Christmas if you're very strict with yourself.

A tip for the holidays: you can save calories for a big day, aka Thanksgiving. Don't by any means eat less than 1200 (including what you burn for exercise, so if you burn 300 calories, then don't go lower than 1500 that day)--but if you stay exactly on goal--or near to--the whole week before you can be a little free with your calories on big days like Thanksgiving. I have a friend with Weight Watchers, and they tell her this same thing, though they say the extra calories you've saved are only good for about a week.

You could do the same with Christmas time, since candy is all around, maybe you only have it on Fridays. I've also found getting snobbish about my treats. Like I'll save the calories for some peppermint bark vs. a couple Hershey's kisses at the office, or eating someone's homemade cookies vs. the store-bought less good ones.

I also chew a lot of gum to tide myself over.

Best of luck, you CAN do this!
  • Hi everyone, I'm Cathy from the Netherlands. I'm a newbie with this kind of program but I like it a lot! Huge eyeopener to write everything down and see what it amounts to. Good luck and I hope hearing from you.
  • steffiegirl
    steffiegirl Posts: 3 Member
    Am just starting back too. The first few days are going to be hard! But I have to do it. Lbs creeping on. NOT GOOD! lol
  • Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement!! I hope this is the start to a successful journey with lots of support along the way! :)
This discussion has been closed.