Counting daily activities

Options
I have been debating with a friend over everyday activities. At work I will take the stairs in the AM and PM (Which is three floors) I also take the stairs when I go downstair to get water from the ice machine. So I do about four flights of steps a day. My friend said I should count this towards my exercise log. I say no, since it's in my normal routine. Any thoughts??????

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Nope, normal routines your body gets used to.
    Don't add them. Sorry!
  • crummergrad
    Options
    I agree. They are little things your body becomes used to just like walking around the mall or grocery store doesn't count. Keep adding in extra steps when possible though, it surely doesn't hurt.

Keep up the hard work and it will pay off.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    I don't add stuff like cleaning, gardening, or walking around the mall/grocery store. I do log my walks sometimes, though. I downloaded the free version of RunKeeper to my phone last summer to track my walks and started walking 7+ kilometres every day. Now that grad school has started I don't always have the time, but if I walk for longer than half an hour or at more than 3.5 mph I log that.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only count it if my heart rate gets up to a certain level (usually I start to huff and puff a little). Otherwise I dont really count it.
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm on the same page as everyone else. I'm not logging them!!!!!!!! It seems like I am cheating in away. My thought is if it is extra work and I'm not logging it, then that will give me more of advantage to loosing weight.

Thanks everyone!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that I don't do specifically as "exercise". Once a month I'm unloading and storing several hundred pounds of feed and occassionally bales of hay but I don't log that because it's not "exercise". They have mowing (riding mower) listed in the exercise database and I logged it a couple of times but then I stopped - even though it takes me a couple of hours to mow my front yard. I take stairs any time I can but I don't log that and I park farther away when I go to the store or whatever and don't log that.

There really isn't one right or wrong way to do it but to me it seems if you're logging every extra step you take you're just cheating yourself and you'll probably end up posting one of those "I'm not losing weight, WTF?" topics before too long.