Things I never would have done a year ago....

Options
So every once in awhile when I get down on myself because I haven't been doing so well or the scale isn't moving, I think of little things in my life that have changed over the past year. Its nice to get the bigger picture, and remind myself its not all about the scale. Two things I did today that I never would have done a year ago:

1) Gone to the grocery store because I was out of FRUIT (ice cream, cookies, soda-yes; fruit-absolutely not).
2) Said to myself "Its only four miles, I'll just walk."

Anyone else?

ETA: And BTW, I couldn't believe how heavy the 8 pounds of fruit I bought felt-how did I carry around 100 extra pounds all the time?!?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    YES! Love this!

1) I was only able to do 3 miles in 60 minutes by walking at the park, I'm definitely doing more later!
    2) A mile? No problem!
    3) The elevator is busy? That's okay, it's only a couple of flights.
    4) Fries? No thank you.
    5) Half marathon registration. Sure, why not?!
    6) Having trainers know me by name
    7) Refusing junk food

:D
  • krystlpierce
    krystlpierce Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Amazing! I've done that too! Carried around something and thought it was heavy.. Then wondering how my poor body did it doing it every day!

Great job!
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Buying mostly fruits and veggies...used to be very little before
    Going to the gym, being so dedicated that EVERYONE is noticing...I used to look for every excuse to avoid the gym.
    Waking up extra early to get an extra workout in because I want to.

If you'd told me I'd be doing all these things a year ago, I would've told you you've lost your mind! lol
  • repertoire
    repertoire Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm new to this...just been doing this since September....but already I've had a couple of those :)

1. LONGED to work out. Actually can't wait to work out some days.
    2. Considered going to the gym twice in one day! Haha...I'm thinking that right now. I went this morning....but was sort of rushed. So I'm thinking of going again tonight so I can have more time! LOL.
    3. Thrown out a HUGE bowl of halloween candy and not cared less.
  • kdruga
    kdruga Posts: 35
    Options
    First of all, Congrats on the 100 pounds! You look great!!

I started in January. I never thought I'd park on the fifth floor of the parking garage just so I could walk up the steps after work. And I definitely did not see myself saying, I've only burned 700 calories at the gym today, let's do another 300.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I LOVE reading these! You are all such inspirations.
    Keep up the great work :D
  • jforferris01
    jforferris01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to my weekly goal of going to the gym for 5 days in a row....A year ago u were lucky if I went 2 times a week....
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Soda? No thanks, I'll just drink water...
    Cookie? No thanks, I've got my apple...
    Honey, do you want any of this leftover food/ clean my plate? NOPE, thanks!
  • loverstreet
    loverstreet Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    1. Pretty much only drink water or Crystal Light. Before MFP I drank lots of Diet Coke.
    2. Run three times a week and like it. Trying to make it four times a week.
    3. Ran a 5k in September 2011 and running another 5k on Thanksgiving morning.
  • Iamachocaholic
    Options
    LOL ~ I know exactly what you mean!

I have been off-and-on working on my weight and eating habits since 2009, and in that time I have gone from 270 lbs down to 229 lbs, and then back up to my current 229 lbs in the last 3 months. I decided about 2 weeks ago that I am once again going to make myself a priority, and while the weight is coming off slowly, it's still coming off ... so I'm happy with that!

And like you, I too have done the supermarket shock therapy. (lol) In fact, I will never forget the day that I was actually bummed out that the grapes, bananas, and watermelon looked less-than-appetizing ... me??? Or the time that I realized carrying my mom's 20lb bag of dog food weighed HALF of what I lost ... really???

I'm still working on getting the exercise piece in the right place, so feel free to add me ... you have great spunk! :)

Squeaky
  • sabyx_is
    Options
    I can now go through 1.5 - 2 litters of water without it being a big deal anymore.

Also, being able to run 10k was never something I ever dreamt of doing, but it seems that everything is possible with a 'little' work and dedication.
  • franny27
    franny27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    wow those are huge steps. congrads, just be patient with yourself, you probably hit a plateu. Try and pick it up with the excercise, if you can. :)
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Bought a pair of pants online.

Could never have done that before - I had to try on a gazillion pairs before finding one I could squeeze into...
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    working out in the morning! working out after a long day at work, at like 10:30 at night. how about working out twice in a day? leaving french fries unfinished. being proud of biceps and other little muscles popping out! loving this!~!!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    1) Running 5+ times a week
    2) Getting grumpy when I can't get a run in
    3) Think about songs on the radio, debate if they'd be good running songs
    4) No! To the french fries and anything greasy
    5) Get grumpy when there aren't good low cal options on a menu ie at a diner
    6) Say hold the X, I don't need the calories
    7) Take small slices of pie rather than a generous portion, as I've worked the lower slices into my calorie diary
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started on this journey a year ago yesterday. A friend talked me into joining the boot camp class they're offering at our office. I had never really exercises before in my life. I didn't know what I was getting into.

My friend dropped out at the end of the 12 week session. I didn't. I've kept going and I don't see myself stopping.

The class is offered by a local CrossFit box. I was terrified of going there to make up classes I'd missed. One day, I just went. I had a really fun time. I kept going back for CrossFit classes.

In June, I added Olympic weightlifting classes as well. I love that class.

These are all things I would never have done a year ago.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    If you had asked me a year ago to describe a perfect evening spent with my son (he's 9), I highly doubt I would have told you it would include push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, squats, lunges, resistance bands, lots of stretching, and sweat.
    Oddly enough, that is EXACTLY what we did last night and we both agreed that it was down right heavenly.

---- Also, I totally agree about the being SHOCKED to realize that I used to carry around 120+ extra pounds on my body - no WONDER I was always so tired!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    A year ago, well more, "It's too sweet so I add water"
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Actually wanted to ride 5+ miles/day, and being bummed when I cannot.
    Drank water, and like it
    Skipped the snack food asile
    Been excited for clothes shopping
    Sniff the air around a fast food restaurant and not want to gag
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    A year ago (exactly - I'm one week from my 1 year MFP anniversary! ) I would never have:
    - Run 21 k (hell I wouldn't have run 2k)
    - Made my lunch to take to work
    - Eaten protein powder
    - Worked out on the "guys" side of the gym
    - Happily worn a bikini
    - Thought I would EVER fit the jeans in my bottom draw again ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!