NSV: I did 108 Sun Salutations!

Options
I don't have a lot of weight to lose. My main battle has always been my (lack of) strength and endurance. I have hypermobility in my joints (I easily over-extend my muscles and injure myself) and fibromyalgia. Between the fear of injury and the overall persistent pain and fatigue in my body, exercise has always been a challenge for me. I've had instructors push and push and push me, way past my limits because they see a relatively skinny girl with a little padding and think I can handle it. I wish more understood that we aren't all built that way! Some of us cannot push through the pain!

I've been eating well for a few weeks and getting to a yoga class once or twice a week for a couple months now. My instructor is GOOD. She really looks out for me to make sure I don't hurt myself or overdo it. When she invited me to a special class to kick off a month long challenge to do yoga (at least 15 minutes) everyday this month, I was pretty sure it was not for me. They would be doing 108 sun salutations. I knew that would kill me. But she assured me there would be plenty of modifications to make it possible. I decided to try, because I was tired of not trying things that I WANTED to do just because I thought I might fail.

Last night I did 108 sun salutations. I sweat like I never sweat before. I felt naucious. I had acid reflux and a sinus headache and my eyes felt like they would pop out of my head from all the inversion. But I did them all. I drank a ton of water and had a giant glass of chocolate milk when I got home, then soaked in a salt bath for a spell.

And I woke up today not feeling like I want to die/kill my yoga instructor. I am so proud of myself and feel so empowered and encouraged. :)

And to anyone who is thinking about trying yoga or has never gone to a class, GO TO A CLASS! Even though I've been to probably a hundred classes in my life, I still get so much from having someone there watch what I'm doing and help me to adjust correctly. And if you go to a class where the instructor is not interacting with you, try a different class/instructor!

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    108?! Dayum! That is awesome! I really need to do more Yoga....* Starts cleaning the laundry baskets off Yoga mat*
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    Congratulations! Wow 108 Sun salutations is ALOT! That's really hardcore! You should be really proud of yourself:)

I do yoga almost everyday. I love it!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    108?! Dayum! That is awesome! I really need to do more Yoga....* Starts cleaning the laundry baskets off Yoga mat*

what she said. WOW! That give me something to shoot for! Congrats, that is a HUGE NSV!
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Holy cow!

That's amazing, 108??? great job!
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! That's an accomplishment for sure!
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The Sun Salutation is my favorite and makes me feel so wonderful!
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Something for me to shoot for by the sounds of things. I thought that a lot of what you said relevant to me.
    Gazz
  • bast2112
    Options
    I did not manage a daily practice unfortunately, but today is the closing ceremony, so I'll be doing 108 again tonight!! A little scared as I've been having more pain than usual due to weight gain. But I trust that she will help me through... now where is my water... I have a lot of hydrating to do today!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!