Vegan Recipe Help

howardnsmith
howardnsmith Posts: 3
edited October 4 in Recipes
Hello all,

I'm currently experimenting with vegan, and I am looking for some fun and interesting recipes to try out in the kitchen, does anybody have any good recommendations? I've been having a particularly hard time with breakfast because I don't have a lot of time in the mornings (ie. I like to sleep in) but I still need a solid meal before going to the gym. I used to just have hard boiled eggs and protein shakes but that's considerably harder to find in vegan varieties. Also, I'm not very hungry in the mornings, and even when I get up an hour before my work out, heavy foods will make me sick. Recipes I can prepare in bulk and portion out for lunches and dinners would be super helpful: if I don't measure out servings I end up eating everything in sight. It's the inner fat man trying to get out.

SIde notes: I'm a carbaholic and I'm looking to up my protein intake. To make things more challenging: I'm allergic to peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts et al. Pecans, hazelnut, pistachios are okay! I'm a very indiscriminate eater and am willing to try anything once so hit me with whatever you got!

Thanks in advance for any help,
-Howard

Replies

• Runner_mick
    Runner_mick Posts: 115 Member
    I'm in the same boat. i started a Vegan diet yesterday. For lunches and breakfasts I am okay. I replaced dairy milk with soy for my cereal. But I have no idea what to do for dinners. Recipes that are quick would be awesome.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Burrito's!!!! Any type of beans even slap some hummus on there and presto!!! Granola and almond milk....
  • byroman
    byroman Posts: 75 Member
    I have a team mate from college who went vegan. He is now an ultraman competitor. He wrote a cookbook that is supposed to be pretty good, although I wouldn't know firsthand, because I am meatatarian. Check out is book here

http://www.jai-lifestyle.com/cookbook/
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    http://ohsheglows.com/recipes/ has some good ones :) There's a "Breakfast" link a little ways down, but she also has lunch, dinner, snacks, baked goods, etc.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    So far the only breakfast that has worked for me is muesli, but they aren't very high in protein (mine is 6g) and some of them may not work with your allergy.
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Try Allrecipes.com. Just do a search under vegetable, breakfast, and meatless and you should come up with something. I get tons of recipes off that site.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    i have sprouted grain bread with soy spread, it is also good with nut butter and fruit or even just some chocolate soy or coconut milk tastes great
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    There are lots of vegan protein shakes- i like Vega, Lifetime Life's Basics, and Garden of Life Raw Protein.

Oatmeal is good too- add nut butter for more protein.

Tofu scramble is another high protein option that can be good if made right. (http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-and-tof-me-scrambled-tofu-revisited/)

Feel free to add me to check out my diary and blog for ideas! :) I've been vegan for a month now, was vegetarian for a year prior.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I use vegan rice protein "Nutribiotic"

I read this week that chia seeds make a good egg replacement in recipes - soak, smash, and texture should be gel-like
  • i use vegweb.com they have tons of recipes!
  • I am not vegan but my running partner and her husband are. We talk about it all the time. They burn a lot of calories so oatmeal prepared with soy milk or water, adding fruit, either dried fruit like apricots, raisins or dried cherries and a little crushed walnuts. It's hardy enough for a workout and to keep you fueled quite a while.

Obviously peanut butter on toast is popular with them too, jelly and natural peanut butter on whole wheat pita or egg and honey free bread is totally vegan and good pre workout carb.

Actually breakfast is the easiest vegan meal in my opinion.

For other meals you have to get creative. Different kinds of grains, beans, hummus, rices, veggies and fruits make up good vegan meals. The meatless stuff like Tofurky is not my cup of tea. A lot of that is high in sodium, but I like Morningstar meatless sausage links with my frozen waffle and a half cup of blueberries in the morning. I am more "flexitarian" but I like to eat vegetarian/vegan too. Maybe psychologically but I just feel cleaner.
  • Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks!
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Hi! I am 'almost' vegan and a really keen cook so I have loads of variety in what I eat. Breakfast is usuall porridge or a cereal bar. For lunches I tend to have leftovers from the night before - so I make dinners like root vegetable curry, a hearty soup , Moroccan stew with chickpeas and lentils, stir fry with rice noodles etc. If you want to add me, you can look through my diary, although I've been workin a lot lately and not been as inventive as usual!
    Try fatfreevegan.com for some great recipe ideas as well as the books Appetite for Reduction, the Happy Herbivore (happyherbivore.com) and The Kind Diet (thekindlife.com). You can have a look at my recipe blog too holdthegoatscheese.blogspot.com
    Good luck!!!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    My go-to meal (for either lunch or dinner) is whole grains, beans, veggies, and EVOO. Experiment with different varieties! So many options, really easy to make, and delicious.
  • basenji
    basenji Posts: 208 Member
    I recommend www.peasandthankyou.com for recipes. The blogger, Mama Pea, is vegan and has some great recipes. She recently wrote a cookbook that I bought and love. She has a recipe for spicy peanut soup that is super good. Recently she put together a meal plan for weight loss that she calls "pealightful plans" http://peasandthankyou.com/recipage/pealightful-plans/
    The blog is very entertaining...she is very funny!
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    :drinker:
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    This is a good dinner recipe, will give you plenty of leftovers too

http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-15-bean-soup-404879

throw out the seasoning packet...

1 7/8 lbs 15 bean soup mix
    1 quart low sodium vegetable broth
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, chopped
    2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
    2 carrots, thinly sliced
    1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    8 tablespoons lemon juice (about 2 lemons worth)
    2 bay leaves
    3 dashes Tabasco sauce
    1 tablespoon oregano
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground thyme
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1/2 tablespoon salt
    Directions:

1. Soak beans overnight, or at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse.
    2. Cook beans in water until just tender by simmering on the stove in 2 qts. water for 1 1/2 hours. (Can also cook in slower cooker or pressure cooker.).
    3. Shortly before the beans are done, saute onion and garlic in oil until slightly brown.
    4. When beans are done, drain half the cooking water.
    5. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, for 40-60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Makes eight 1.75-cup servings, about 265 cals per serving.

***I left out the black pepper, and this was still really spicy. Next time I would probably cut the cayenne or chili in half
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    Get the veganomicon

http://www.amazon.com/Veganomicon-Ultimate-Isa-Chandra-Moskowitz/dp/156924264X

or Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Reduction-Filling-Low-Fat-Recipes/dp/1600940498/ref=pd_sim_b_1/188-6889094-0233058

I use the veganomicon myself and i can recommend it, i don't have appetite for reduction but i've heard very good things about it from people whos judgement i trust.
This discussion has been closed.