Down 29 lbs.

Options
1JenMilam
1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
So for years I have been a yo yo dieter. Down 20 up 20. Now that I have made it past the 20 mark I get a little discouraged that I haven't gotting any recognition from people outside of my weight loss group. (selfish I know).( About 10 years ago I lost 80 lbs and gained it back plus). I wonder if it is because I have done this so many times that people are waiting to say good job until the feel I am actually sticking with it? Or did I just get so big that no one can quite tell yet.

I know I feel better and that should be enough. Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I got my first comment from someone in my office a week or 2 ago. At 41 lbs lost :\

It wasn't even a very nice comment. lol. It was her: "You've lost weight". me: "yes" awkward pause. me: "thanks" her: "you look good"

um not a very convincing compliment. lol
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    &&&&&& congrats on your weight loss!!! :)
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    knowone noticed or mentioned my weightloss until i got to about 30.. some people might notice just dont know you well enough to say something.. dont get discouraged 29 is fantastic and you can go as far as you want. seems though as soon as one person noticed so did everyone else.. :-)

good luck you are doing great
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your lose. Keep it up and you will have the last laugh.:drinker:
  • tena1028
    tena1028 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I feel you on that. I have lost 23 and I am waiting on the "WOW, you have lost weight!" I think some of it might be that you see these people so often they sometimes don't notice as easily as if you see someone you have not been around in a while. Just so you know what you have done, BE PROUD!! Losing weight is hard. GREAT JOB!!!
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    hey great job keep it up! ive just hit 42 pounds down and getting complements daily at work. quite amazing seeing as i work with a bunch of men!! lolx
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs and no one has said anything to me. Not even my closest friends. I'm not worried about it. This is for me, not them.
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's may be that they haven't noticed. I know you are so excited about losing all that weight that you think surely people will notice, but that isn't always the case. Perhaps because it is gradual it isn't noticeable. If someone hasn't seen you in a while they might notice more readily. I am right where you are. It has just been the last two weeks that some have started asking if I am losing weight. I have just tried to keep in mind that for me it is not as much the weight loss as the overall health improvement that I know I need. Perhaps people in general aren't as observant as we would like to think we are...even close friends and family! Keep at it. You know it's worth it in the long run! Best of luck!
  • TimeToWork
    Options
    People may not want to say anything for fear that it wasn't intentional or they may not want to come off as appearing judgemental of the size you once were.

But good for you!
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I know I am doing it for me but darn it... lol
  • lsunderl
    Options
    It took me 6 months to realize that my sister-in-law (who I see on a weekly basis) had lost 20 pounds over a 6-month period. Wasn't until I saw her in workout clothes that I saw she had dropped a considerable amount of weight. Don't fret it - people will be checking out your hot body soon enough!
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new success! Keep at it, regardless of what others say or don't say! Like someone else said in an earlier reply...this is for you, not for them!

For me, I've lost about 20 pounds so far, but over about a 6 month period of time. Other people seem to see the loss more than I do. Aside from the scale and dropping pants sizes, I don't see a huge difference in myself. I guess since it was pretty gradual. I'm now wishing I had taken a "before" picture!
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I worked with a girl once who was really upset with me because I didn't notice she had lost 15lbs. She was already thin, about a size 7/8 and never mentioned trying to lose any weight. I saw her often and just didn't look at her like that, checking to see whether she gained weight or not. Plus at work she wore baggy clothes anyway.

Now if one of my friends tells me they are trying to lose weight then I try to pay more attention but again, its one of those sore subjects. Many of my friends lose ten pounds, give up and end up gaining it back so I feel a little awkward asking how their weight loss is going if they didn't bring it up first.

There's a number of reason people probably haven't noticed or said anything. Same reason it takes people a month to notice I've completely changed my hair color. I wouldn't take it personally. At least you know if you have a slight slip up, nobody but you will notice!

Eventually people will catch up.
  • normusnonaliam
    normusnonaliam Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!

I think sometimes people also feel a little awkward mentioning it. If I don't know someone very well I get a little nervous.
  • philsy1
    philsy1 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about the same as you for people to say something. First, my best male friend said "You're starting to make me look bad"... later hesaid that he suspected that there was something wrong in my head, So much for male support systems!! Later on some folks at church noticed, mostly women. That's nice, because I am trying to improve my appearance as well as improve my health and fitness.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!