In need of some awesome recipes- cookies & squares

Options
kerrilucko
kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
Alrighty guys, as some of you know my wedding is quickly approaching and I we are having a catered dessert reception yuuuum:laugh: I want to make a selection of cookies and squares to place alongside the collection of cakes and pies that are being catered. I'm not big on making squares so I don't really have recipes for any! Here's what I'm looking for:

6 different square recipes including:
-something peanut buttery
-something lemony or fruity
-something chocolatey

6 different drop cookie recipes.

I'm going to make small batches of each a week or 2 prior to the date, freeze them and then thaw them for the wedding. I love to bake and I know I can do this but I want some fab recipes to try out beforehand. I'm not looking for low-cal recipes, just family favourites or sweet treats you think I'll love. Thanks to anyone that can help! (and yes I browsed allrecipes.com, but they just have so many and it's too hard to decide!)

Replies

• kerrilucko
    Options
    Alrighty guys, as some of you know my wedding is quickly approaching and I we are having a catered dessert reception yuuuum:laugh: I want to make a selection of cookies and squares to place alongside the collection of cakes and pies that are being catered. I'm not big on making squares so I don't really have recipes for any! Here's what I'm looking for:

6 different square recipes including:
    -something peanut buttery
    -something lemony or fruity
    -something chocolatey

6 different drop cookie recipes.

I'm going to make small batches of each a week or 2 prior to the date, freeze them and then thaw them for the wedding. I love to bake and I know I can do this but I want some fab recipes to try out beforehand. I'm not looking for low-cal recipes, just family favourites or sweet treats you think I'll love. Thanks to anyone that can help! (and yes I browsed allrecipes.com, but they just have so many and it's too hard to decide!)
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Marking for myself. I have some awesome recipes at home, so I'll post them after work.

P.S. I love seeing different dialects in posts. I had no idea what squares were, until I kept reading. We call them bars in the Midwest US.
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! This I can do! A dessert reception sounds so awesome. Here's one of my favorite cookie recipes. Hope you like it!

Snickers Cookies:

1 cup each - sugar, brown sugar, butter, peanut butter
    2 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    3 cups flour
    1 (16 oz) pkg minature snickers (or milky way) candy bars

Cream together sugar, brown sugar, butter, peanut butter. Add vanilla, beaten eggs. Mix. Add baking soda, powder and flour. Cut snickers bars in half, wrap dough around bar half. Shape into ball. (At this point you could roll in colored sugar) Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Yummy! (makes about 40 cookies)

These cookies are really easy to make and soooo good. But you should probably make them several times beforehand and watch them closely as ovens vary and they go from done to burnt in seconds (and burnt caramel is icky!). Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure how well these will freeze. I'm sure lots of folks will respond, but if you need more, I'm happy to send more tonight.
  • stimpy6298
    Options
    The bar dessert I used to make was peanut butter bars w/chocolate

I just used the packaged peanut butter cookie mix and made as directed in a square or rectangle pan.

After it cooled I melted a bag of chocolate chips and mixed in 1 tbs. of oil. (So when it hardens it has a glossy shine.) Put in the fridge to set up and harden.

The are good but very sweet.

I hope you get some really good recipes.

I miss baking sweets :cry:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    These are cute cookie things that I used to make often.

You take peanut butter cookie dough and roll into small balls (about 1 inch). You drop them into small muffin pan. When the cookies are done, you take mini reese cup and push them into each cookie. They make yummy little peanut butter cookie cups.

Then I use to do the peanut butter cookie dough. Bake as directed. Then, when fresh out of the oven, push a Hershey kiss down into each cookie.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Hey girl! This I can do! A dessert reception sounds so awesome. Here's one of my favorite cookie recipes. Hope you like it!

Snickers Cookies:

2 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    3 cups flour

Cream together sugar, brown sugar, butter, peanut butter. Add vanilla, beaten eggs. Mix. Add baking soda, powder and flour. Cut snickers bars in half, wrap dough around bar half. Shape into ball. (At this point you could roll in colored sugar) Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Yummy! (makes about 40 cookies)

These cookies are really easy to make and soooo good. But you should probably make them several times beforehand and watch them closely as ovens vary and they go from done to burnt in seconds (and burnt caramel is icky!). Admittedly, I'm not entirely sure how well these will freeze. I'm sure lots of folks will respond, but if you need more, I'm happy to send more tonight.

mmmm those sound delish. I :heart: caramel!

Thanks for the PB ideas too guys. I love PB desserts but I'm only going to have to limit them or else everything will taste the same :laugh:

I used to have this PB square recipe and the base was a mixture of melted butter, grahm crumbs, PB and icing sugar, pressed into pan, then on top butter melted with choc chips, poured over. I LOVED them but I can't find the recipe? Has anyone heard of that one?
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i have THE most delicious recipe for squares, close to yours, but has coconut, peanut butter, chocolate, graham cracker crust-no icing-shall i send it?
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    If you like sweet and coconut, try the "Irish Potato Candies" from allrecipes. com. There's no potatoes in them, but they really do look like potatos (that's why I made them).

You can make them with cinnamon (as the recipe suggests) or cocoa powder (as some of the reviewers suggested). The folks at my work LOVED them (they were a bit too sweet for me, even though I cut back on the powdered sugar (3 cups instead of 4).

My next try at them would be to dunk them in a chocolate granache (maybe made with Guinness stout) and then they'd be little mini-Mounds bar bites. Mmm. Sounds good just thinking about it.

Good luck!
    -Deborah
  • decca
    decca Posts: 8
    Options
    I made awesome Lemon Lime Bars this weekend - from the Whole Foods Cookbook. They were especially good warm, but I'm sure room temperature will be grand as well. Here's the recipe:

2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted, plus 1/4 c.
    1/2 c. powdered sugar
    1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
    4 large eggs, beaten
    2 c. granulated sugar
    3 tbsp. lemon juice
    3 tbsp lime juice
    1 tsp. grated lemon zest
    1 tsp. grated lime zest
    1 tsp. baking powder
    Powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Sift the 2 cups sifted flow and the powdered sugar together. Cut the butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Press into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the pan from the oven.

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, granulated sugar, and lemon and lime juices and zests for 1 to 2 minutes, until frothy. Sift the remaining 1/4 cup flour and baking powder together, and stir it into the egg mixture. Pour over the baked crust. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until set. Remove from the oven, and allow it to cool. Sift the additional powdered sugar over the top, and cut the lemon-lime dessert into squares.
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    i have THE most delicious recipe for squares, close to yours, but has coconut, peanut butter, chocolate, graham cracker crust-no icing-shall i send it?

Yes please :) I 'm sure I could just top it with a chocolatey ganache if it needed it right? I'd love the recipe!

Those lemon bars sound SO yummy!
  • skinnymel
    skinnymel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    here you go! please forget this recipe immediately afterwards as it can be dangerous!!!

TRIPLE LAYER COOKIE BARS
    makes 24 to 36 bars (actually makes many more-can be cut into pieces the size of fudge, it's so rich)

1/2 cup butter
    1+1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1 package (7oz) flaked coconut
    1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
    1 (12 oz) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, whatever you prefer)

Preheat oven to 350 (or 325 for glass dish). In 13x9 " baking pan, melt butter in oven.
    Sprinkle crumbs evenly over butter. Top evenly with coconut then sweetened condensed
    milk.
    Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
    In small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate with peanut butter. Spread evenly over
    hot coconut layer.
    Cool 30 minutes. Chill thoroughly. Cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

there you have it! pretty easy. i keep mine in the fridge. i like the crunch of them being cold...yum!!!
  • kerrilucko
    Options
    Thanks Mel, they sounds delish!!
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Snickers Cookies:

2 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    3 cups flour

mmmm those sound delish. I :heart: caramel!

Thanks for the PB ideas too guys. I love PB desserts but I'm only going to have to limit them or else everything will taste the same :laugh:

I used to have this PB square recipe and the base was a mixture of melted butter, grahm crumbs, PB and icing sugar, pressed into pan, then on top butter melted with choc chips, poured over. I LOVED them but I can't find the recipe? Has anyone heard of that one?

I make these cookies every year at Christmastime and they freeze really well. Another idea for a garnish is to just bake them without rolling them in sugar, and when they are out, you can drizzle them with melted lines of chocolate or sprinkle them with powdered sugar. If you don't want to mess with cutting the snickers in half, just buy the smallest mini snickers and they fit right inside the little ball of dough. These are my favorite all time cookies but I only bake them at Christmas because they are also irresistible!
  • codykitty
    codykitty Posts: 729
    Options
    disclaimer: not low fat or calories. This is From Barefoot Contessa, but it is scrumdiddlyumptious!

Lemon Bars
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-bars-recipe/index.html

these are peanut butter and jelly bars!!!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/peanut-butter-and-jelly-bars-recipe/index.html

If you are looking for healthier options, Ellie Kreiger has some great choices
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?Nr=Record Type:Result&N=4294924680&fnSearchString=bars

hope this helps...