i want weight to come off quicker!

Options
Im told that i should eat 1200 calories a day, and i exercise about 15 minutes each day. Plan tells me i will reduce my weight by 0.9lb a week, that dont seem much. i hate exercise! is it ok to reduce my cals?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Gotta hate being fat more than you hate exercise. Reducing calories will only help in slowing your metabolism more in a week or two.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Do you like dancing, sports, or any other type of activity that involves moving around? You don't necessarily have to go to a gym to get exercise.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Try to increase your exercise gradually. You don't have to jump into a huge exercise routine right away.
  • etfbjyd
    etfbjyd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    awwww that wasnt what i was hoping to hear! lol, but ty, its good to know. guess i just gotta get my butt on that bike eh!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Gotta hate being fat more than you hate exercise. Reducing calories will only help in slowing your metabolism more in a week or two.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

If losing weight was easy, everyone would do it! You have to be patient and work hard. Keep yourself healthy, don't starve yourself. That will only do more damage than good.
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of fun activities that can be considered exercise. Especially if you have a Wii or Netflix. I didn't want to do it either. But I started with something fun like Just Dance on Wii to get me moving. Once I did that I graduated onto more heavier types of workouts!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Your calories are the lowest that is really recommended...anything lower and you wont give your body enough of what it needs. Exercise is key.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Im told that i should eat 1200 calories a day, and i exercise about 15 minutes each day. Plan tells me i will reduce my weight by 0.9lb a week, that dont seem much. i hate exercise! is it ok to reduce my cals?

We all want to lose the weight faster! But we all need to be healthy and a 0.9lb loss is almost 1 pound per week! That's a safe amount to lose. Please don't go below your 1200 cals per day.

ninerbuff is right. You do not want to slow your metabolism!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I started out with almost 100 lbs to llose. One of my biggest hang ups is wanting it to come off quickly -- like 50 a month! Totally unrealistic. I started out by making very small changes, logging in my food here on MFP, working to stay within my nutritional goals, modifying here and there when I saw that I could do better, and then I started moving more. And trust me -- if anyone hated, HATED to exercise, it was me - 100%! But I made the commitment to start moving 3 times a week for 20 minutes initially and went walking faithfully and started adding in other things I could do. In 2 months, I have lost 20 pounds but the other benefits are just as important.

You have to start somewhere and you have to make a commitment to yourself.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great way to get started moving too! Bikes hurt my hiny.
  • jessecates
    Options
    Exercise is fine and dandy, but at the end of the day losing weight is more about what you eat than what you burn. Think about it - at 15 minutes of exercise a day at most you might burn 200 calories doing a high intensity cardio workout like running. Eat a medium french fries from McDonalds or have one non-diet soda in a day and you just negated that calorie burn and ate through your workout.

The recommendations I've read to maintain your weight is that you should be doing 30 minutes of exercise a day. If you want to exercise to lose weight it should be more like an hour a day. I don't want to discourage you though because the benefits of exercising extend far beyond losing weight and go more towards promoting better health. I can only speak from my own personal experience but as a long distance runner that burns usually 800-900 calories from one run the only times I really lose weight are when I watch what I eat carefully. Only at the very beginning when I started running did I not have to care about what I ate and I lost weight from just what I burned. So from my experience from a pure weight loss standpoint, what you eat is more important than what you burn.

The only real way you are going to get weight to come off quicker is if you go all "Biggest Loser" and start working out 12-13 hours a day doing high intensity workouts with a personal trainer on an extreme reduced calorie diet where you are fed by a personal chef.
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    if you lose it too quickly you are more likely to put it back on!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I started out with almost 100 lbs to llose. One of my biggest hang ups is wanting it to come off quickly -- like 50 a month! Totally unrealistic. I started out by making very small changes, logging in my food here on MFP, working to stay within my nutritional goals, modifying here and there when I saw that I could do better, and then I started moving more. And trust me -- if anyone hated, HATED to exercise, it was me - 100%! But I made the commitment to start moving 3 times a week for 20 minutes initially and went walking faithfully and started adding in other things I could do. In 2 months, I have lost 20 pounds but the other benefits are just as important.

You have to start somewhere and you have to make a commitment to yourself.

small incremental change is the way to go.
    Besides if you do a drastic change to lose weight.
    It will be another drastic change when you go to maintain.

The slower you lose the more likely you are to KEEP IT off, because you're learning how to modify your eating habits in a practical way that you can apply when you maintain.

My Mom was always over weight it never really seemed to slow her down.
    But now, I'm here because I see how it's affected her in her later years.
    I want to be healthier than that.

I'm all about finding a way to do this for the long haul.

-B