Can someone help me with setting up a workout routine?

Options
I am just starting out with this, and I am meeting with a dietician who is helping me with food and I will be eating around 1600-1700cals/day. I just got a gym membership at Anytime Fitness, so I was wondering if someone could help me with setting up a routine that will show results but will be manageable with my busy work/school schedule. Thank you!

Replies

• LindsayT2012
    LindsayT2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is a great way to burn a lot of calories:)
  • dkvote
    dkvote Posts: 58
    Options
    I don't think I can help you as I don't have a gym membership, but I am interested in what responses you receive. I mostly bike ride on a trail near our home plus use cardio DVD's. Good luck!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    How many days a week and how much time per day are you able to devote to exercise? What are your specific goals? What is your past experience with exercising?
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How much time and how often will you go?
  • ActiveFaith10
    ActiveFaith10 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    on demand as great workouts with a scheduled calendar, 3x a week strength training llus optional cardio, and 2x a week cardio, dedicate an hour a day with one or two days off, you got this!!1
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If you have time, take a 20 min walk during your lunches.

Do pilates or some other work out DVD at home when you can't get to the gym.

At the gym, I would mke sure to stretch and warm up before doing about 10-20 min of cardio and 20-40 min of weight before cooling down. To make sure you are losing body fat % and the weight lost is nothing but fat, make sure to do a whole body work out on the weights. Meaning, make sure to do upper and lower body weights.

Hope this helps.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    make sure you are doing resistance training and cardio
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I want to do a good 1.5hrs of workout 4-5 days/week. When I was in high school I was either running or biking everyday running was usually between 3-5miles/day and biking was a good 10miles. I was also in a couple conditioning classes in high school so I was active. I unfortunately got married 5 years ago and gained a lot of weight. I am determined to lose this weight,and to do it the healthy right way. So I'm reaching out for help. Thank you.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I want to do a good 1.5hrs of workout 4-5 days/week. When I was in high school I was either running or biking everyday running was usually between 3-5miles/day and biking was a good 10miles. I was also in a couple conditioning classes in high school so I was active. I unfortunately got married 5 years ago and gained a lot of weight. I am determined to lose this weight,and to do it the healthy right way. So I'm reaching out for help. Thank you.

You unfortunately got married 5 yrs ago? LOL I know what you meant.....
    It's hard for us to give you too much advise as every person has different needs and we only know so much about you. Do they offer a consultation with a trainer/staff? Many gyms do for new members. If so, take advantage of it. Generally, like most are saying, find a good balance of cardio and resistance/weight training. I might suggest alternating them so you dont do strength 2 days in a row. If they offer classes I would highly advise checking out various ones and get involved. You might find that 1.5 hrs 4-5X/week is a little much at first - you may have to build up to that. Good luck!
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week, for 45 - 90 minutes at a time (generally around 60). I alternate between strength days and cardio days.

Strength day
    Warmup:
    Walk, jog, run, jump rope, whatever -- just get your body warm and your muscles loosened up.
    Supersets (or tri-sets) consisting of the following (in whatever combo I feel like for the day), 3 sets of 6 - 10 reps of each (heavy enough so the last rep of each set is a struggle): Assisted pull-ups, assisted dips, squats/leg press, calf raises, leg extension, leg curl, bench press, shoulder press, bicep curl, tricep kickback, back extension, chest flies, lateral raise, push-ups, planks, crunches. (I don't necessarily do all of these on every strength day, but I do try to hit all of the major muscle groups at least once.)
    Stretch

On cardio days, it just depends on my mood--I get a good mix of bike, elliptical, and treadmill throughout the month. I'm always toying with speed and resistence on all of them, otherwise I tend to get bored.
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I'd say cardio 3x week and weights 3x week. Interval cardio is great to up your cals burned. For lifting try to do each muscle group twice a week.

Start slowly, warm up, but don't stretch cold muscles!
  • jbeauchamp1
    jbeauchamp1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Oh I can so related to the married and gained! I try to workout for 1.5hrs a day Monday-Friday and then do some type of informal exercise on Saturday anything from working in my yard to talking a bike ride. I just started today to break up my workouts. I am getting up and going to the gym at 6am to 7am and then doing P90X at home at night after my work, dinner and everything is done. I had to work up to this amount of time so don't stress about the time so much just start doing what you can and work up from there. You don't want to overwhelm yourself with a certain calorie burn or amount of time and quit. You can gradually add more time where it works for you. Best of luck to you!
  • taglientep
    taglientep Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Great way to work up a good burn and hot painful on the body
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    hit the free weights!