Broken foot and need motivation

I am in good shape, trying to eat healthly and broke my foot BAD! I have been in a cast for 6 weeks with two to go, then onto two months in a walking boot. I have been eating all the meals given to me by friends including desserts and feel awful. I went from a good hour a day of exercise to nothing. Any suggestions?

Replies

• atg1234
    atg1234 Posts: 8
    I am in good shape, trying to eat healthly and broke my foot BAD! I have been in a cast for 6 weeks with two to go, then onto two months in a walking boot. I have been eating all the meals given to me by friends including desserts and feel awful. I went from a good hour a day of exercise to nothing. Any suggestions?
  • tracylynne29
    tracylynne29 Posts: 49 Member
    I hear walking on your crutches is considered excercise
  • atg1234
    Thanks for that! I wonder how many calories walking around Old Navy with crutches would be?
  • Sorry to hear about your injury! It's tough to stay active when you're battling that...

This is going to sound corny, but have you ever watched "Sit and Be Fit"? I mean, I'm only 24 but I remember my Dad doing that following a knee replacement surgery. You can still work your upper body and abs as well! Ask your doctor what's safe for you to do activity wise as well.

If you really can't do any activity then you're going to HAVE to make smarter meal choices. It's lovely that your friends and family are bringing you "comfort food" but you need to put your foot down! No more fattening foods or delectable desserts. Baked chicken and fish, ground turkey, vegetables and whole wheat rice will do wonders - not just to your weight loss goals but to your energy levels as well! Keep healthy snacks in your house that you won't be tempted to overindulge in: baby carrots, dessert flavored yogurts, unsalted peanuts and fresh fruit are all GREAT options.

Good luck to you hon! Just don't lose your motivation! :flowerforyou:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you get better soon. :flowerforyou:

I have an uncle that is paralyzed. He fell off of a building while working construction about 11 years ago. He has always been a big guy that LOVED to eat. He weighed over 300 pounds when he had his accident. He was in the hospital for almost 2 years and there have been many times when we didn't think he would make it. My family takes care of him at home now and he is doing wonderful. He has lost almost 80 pounds since his injury b/c we carefully monitor his food intake.

It's important for his skin and for the nurses that have to turn him every hour that he be of a normal weight. My point is, if my paraplegic uncle can do it, so can you. :) Just stay aware of what you are eating and realize that if you aren't really moving around that much, you need to seriously (but not too much) decrease your calorie intake.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    I feel for you.:flowerforyou:
    I had foot surgery after a bad sprain & it stinks!
    :grumble:
    I think crutches were worse than a treadmill!
    :sad:
    Hang on till the walking boot. You'll feel like you're back in the game!
  • I broke my ankle about 13 months ago. It was really frustrating because I was not weight bearing at on on my left foot for 12 weeks....and then another 2 weeks before i was walking without crutches. I lived in a third floor apartment, so gettign up my stairs on my crutches was a great work out for my arms, but that was about it.

You definitely need to watch your calories when your activity is restricted.

As you get your cast off listen to your doctor, talk to a physical therapist and listen to your body.

It took me a long time to rehab, but I'm pretty much back to doing everything I want to do (except wear super high strappy sandals....)
  • atg1234
    Thanks, wow!!! I am trying to stay positive, but comfort food, is well, comforting!!:smile: To be honest, I am eating terrible just because I gave up! Now I am back and appreciate all the responses. I see people in wheelchairs all the time, (I'm a nurse), and they give me inspiration. I just needed a little boost! Now back at it at 1200 calories a day!