Washington DC Area Fitness Advice

Options
Hi everyone,

After two long years in Midtown Manhattan, I'm re-locating to the Washington DC area. It took me a good 6 months to discover all the secrets of my neighborhood in NYC in regards to the best places to run, quirky and healthy places to eat, wonderful websites for connecting with athletic teams and other secrets of healthy living that are specific to where you live and I'd love to cut that time in half (at least) for DC. So if you live in the DC area (MD and VA as well) and have a favorite running spot or website for connecting to informal sports or other trade secrets of the area, I'd love to hear them. Help make the transition into a new place a bit easier for me :-)

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and if you live in the area (or even if you don't) and want to friend me, feel free.

Replies

• acciomuscles
    acciomuscles Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm unhelpful in the advice department, but I'm from Northern VA :) I'll add ya. Hope you love DC!
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    I'll take new friends any time :-)
  • TaurusGuy70
    TaurusGuy70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also moved to DC not too long ago. I just picked up a book called "Best Hikes Near Washington, DC" put out by Falcon Guides. Seems to be a pretty good book of some great spots nearby. Haven't tried any yet though. Maybe if the rain ever stops.... :) Good luck getting settled into DC!
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    Thanks so much! I love hiking, hence my picture! Friend request sent your way :-)
  • GFreg
    GFreg Posts: 404
    Options
    Hi there! I live in Rockville which is a MD suburb of DC that is about 20 miles North-West. Unfortunately I am not a runner so I can't really give you advice on that. There are park areas around though and you can run on the National Mall. What neighborhood of DC are you moving to if you don't mind me asking? Adams Morgan has some neat bars and food places but can get crowded on the weekends. There are lot's of shops in Georgetown but it is swarmed with people when it's nice out. There is a very small Chinatown, the entrance is at 7th and H St. but it only lasts a few blocks. If you are not familiar, DC is broken into 4 quadrants. North East, South East, North West, South West. North West is probably the safest area, it is where the monuments are located. Adams Morgan and Georgetown are also in NW. You still might run across the occasional crack dealer if you venture in to SW or SE. Although coming from NYC, I'm sure it's not new to you. Friend me if you would like. I'm not a DC guru but I have lived my entire 27 years just outside of it and know it pretty well.

Edit: You can run along the tow path on the C&O Canal. Very popular area to run and bike.
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    Added :-)
  • spencer72
    Options
    Great Falls, MD is a great day hiking spot filled with scenic views. There's an easy 3.x mile trail up there called Billy Goat that would be a blast to run that takes you over trails of rocks, sand, dirt, and through the forest. It's not too far out of town either, maybe 30 minutes from Arlington.

I too am on the search for great places to get fitter here in the area.
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    Thanks so much! That DOES sound wonderful. I got up to the Shenandoah's recently and it was beautiful. If you like hiking/walking/running in the mountains, that would be my recommendation!
  • rjs3455
    rjs3455 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    http://www.hikingupward.com/maps/cenva_map.shtml Great website for a ton of Trails and Hikes in the area.. There is so much to explore in this area! I currently live in Alexandria, VA and we usually go out to the Shenandoah for all our hikes, but there are great trails in Great Falls, on the C&O or you can always go up towards Leesburg, VA and hike some of the AT!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    There are so many trails to bike and run on. I run on the Rock Creek Park path and down by the Mall. There is the Capital Crescent and C&O trails that start in Georgetown. There are a ton of running groups and if you go to meetup.org, you can also find some groups with similar interests.

I love running in DC. Plus you aren't that far from places to go hiking in Northern VA, West VA and Maryland.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the DC area. :smile: Aspen Hill, MD here.

I always see people running near the Washington Hilton Hotel area in the morning. I don't know what that street's called. :laugh: There's also a gym and school nearby that I've seen. It's the same street Wilson HS is on but more near the Hilton.

Yes. I am direction challenged. :laugh:
  • LittleFootLT11
    Options
    http://www.hikingupward.com/maps/cenva_map.shtml Great website for a ton of Trails and Hikes in the area.. There is so much to explore in this area! I currently live in Alexandria, VA and we usually go out to the Shenandoah for all our hikes, but there are great trails in Great Falls, on the C&O or you can always go up towards Leesburg, VA and hike some of the AT!

Thanks so much for the site! It looks wonderful! I've heard of Great Falls but haven't gone out there yet. I've also hiked the Long Trail in Vermont (270 miles, 25 days, 100 of the miles on the AT) and I'd love to get all of the AT under my belt. I'm thinking of doing Virginia this summer if I can get the time off, otherwise I'll just have to do the MA section which should only take a month. So I can't decide if I should save Leesburg or get out there!
    There are so many trails to bike and run on. I run on the Rock Creek Park path and down by the Mall. There is the Capital Crescent and C&O trails that start in Georgetown. There are a ton of running groups and if you go to meetup.org, you can also find some groups with similar interests.

I love running in DC. Plus you aren't that far from places to go hiking in Northern VA, West VA and Maryland.

Thanks so much for meetup,org, that was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! What are the C&O and Crescent trails? I work in Georgetown so it would be easy to explore!
    Welcome to the DC area. :smile: Aspen Hill, MD here.

I always see people running near the Washington Hilton Hotel area in the morning. I don't know what that street's called. :laugh: There's also a gym and school nearby that I've seen. It's the same street Wilson HS is on but more near the Hilton.

Yes. I am direction challenged. :laugh:

Haha I'm directionally challenged too, don't worry! I'll have to do some research in the Washington Hilton Hotel area! Thanks so much!

BTW, Friend requests are on the way for those who haven't already friended me! You all rock!