For Runners....

Options
So I run about 25-30 miles a week, usually 5 miles a day or so, I recently ran a half about 2 weeks ago. Now, my right knee is really bothering me. It is painful when my knee is bent and then I'll have to stretch it out and bend it a few times. When I run, it hurts for the first 5 minutes, but then it feels fine, almost better when I am running at a faster pace.

The weird thing is that it definitely hurts inside my knee- but its sensitive to the slightest touch, like a bruise. Literally my pants will rub against my knee and it feels like a bruise is there.

Does anyone know whats going on???

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You're always sore for a few weeks after a big race, try taking it easy for a week and see if it goes away
  • mewhisler
    mewhisler Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I probably is just because you ramped up mileage for the Half. Look on here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

Maybe that will help.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Bump. I feel like my shins are bruised from the inside out.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    It could be your running form. If you are twisting your leg at any point in your stride you could be damaging the tendon or the muscle. I had the same thing with my knee. It hurt when I wasn't running, and during the first 5-10 minutes and then your adrenaline kicks in and it stops hurting. I stopped running for 2 weeks (due to my circumstances and availability to run) and did the elliptical during that time. I ran again on Sunday after that 2 week break and was pain free. I have run everyday since, and so far so good. You probably need to rest it to let it heal. Try taking a break. In the meantime, ibuprofen (Advil) helps with the pain.

Of course, it goes without saying, that if your stride IS the problem, the pain will eventually come back. Perhaps go to a running store and have them assess your form??

Good luck!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bit of inflammation as sounds as storing some fluid around it... a bit of RICE should help (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) some NSAIDs such as Ibuprofen should help bring down some inflammation and pain. Maybe try cross training for a week or so on something like an elliptical. I got injured lately (I run about the same as you per week) when I fell on a run and broke my ribs... running was impossible but cycling and the elliptical were possible so I could still work out... you may lose a LITTLE fitness (I've lost a tiny amount in 4 weeks - it's negligible but I notice it even though I'm still very fit!) but at least you won't have to lose sooo much and also, if you properly injure yourself you'll have to stop phys entirely and that could be worse! You'll probably be OK in a week or so of "resting", but if you're still concerned, go see your GP/Doc or a physiotherapist! :)
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'd try RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation for a while.

I am just coming off the most painful knee pain I've ever had. I tried RICE. I tried running through it. I tried just rest. Nothing helped. I finally sought help and after about 3 weeks of therapy (massage and electric thingys hooked up to it) it's better. Not perfect, but certainly not waking me up 4-5 times a night with sharp pains that made we want to cry.

The doctor did an x-ray and found "something." He couldn't figure out if it was a cyst, calcium build up, or bone fragment. He was pretty certain I'd have to have surgery, but after his magic touch I don't think I will.

Be alert to it. If it persists, go to a doctor. I waited too long for help. I wish I had gone to see him sooner.
  • wifeygonzo
    wifeygonzo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem after my first half. Ice & motrin, take it easy. It went away.