Running Tights/Leggings?

Options
Hi! My name is Jessica and I'm fat. :D

Now that I've got that out of the way, the real issue here: it's COLD out there. Like, it was 20F when I walked to work this morning. I want to start C25K, but I also don't want to freeze to death and I HATE cold.

So. I'm 5'5.5", 260ish pounds, and wear a size 22 most of the time. I need to know what is effective for staying warm that's going to fit... especially considering in a few weeks, we'll be below zero.

Suggestions, please! :D

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I hate hate HATE the cold.. so I would join a gym.. but that's just me :P I'm sure you can find some underarmor or similar
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I just got a pair of men's cw-x stabilyx insulated compression tights for $60-ish on Amazon. Maybe start there?
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica!

You are going to want really good thermals to wear under your running pants and shirt. Make sure you get ones that are going to wick away sweat or as soon as your sweat starts to cool on the clothing it will freeze and be really uncomfortable.

Marks Work Warehouse has really great thermal gear. Otherwise try a sports store like Coast Mountain Sports. It will be expensive but when you run outside when it is cold it is important to have the correct thermal wear.

Sincerely,

Someone from the frozen f*cking tundra. (I run inside LOL)
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I wear yoga pants and a long sleeve shirt, sometimes a jacket over that. Also, sometimes I wear thin gloves. The thing is, it may be freezing when you start, but I guarantee you'll be sweating in no time and peeling that jacket off. Make sure it is one that can tie around your waist.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I wear running tights -- I just bought the cheaper Champion version and they work well for me.

Also, I have butt chub. So with my running tights, I wear shorts over. I'm sure I still look silly, but I feel better about it. :)
  • Jeliica
    Options
    Well, I haven't ran in the cold...well ever, but I do workout in the gym, and I use activewear clothing from oldnavy. I wear it sometimes when I'm lazy to change, but it keeps me pretty warm in the winter.

Leggings might be to thin and you'll freeze! I know when I'm walking around I wear leggings, and I buy sweats and just layer myself.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Try Target and Marshall's for dry wick pants. Cotton is NOT your friend when running!!!!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I started running last year during the winter, and was 256 at 5'8" and a size 18/20.

Basically I just wore yoga pants/sweat pants and layered like a mofo! Hats/gloves, long sleeve tee or tow and jacket, wool socks. As you advance to more runnin you'll warm up quicker and actually need less clothing.

As a general rule you should be slightly chilly at first, then warm up.

I'm smaller now (about a 14) and have bought some wind resistant running pants since I'm going to be marathon training through the winter (previously couldn't find them in my size)

Good luck with c25k! Let me know how it goes!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Get tech gear - wick away. You'll also want to dress in layers on the top so you can shed as needed. If you go out and you feel fine (nice and comfy), you're over dressed - in my opinion.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Sincerely,

This made me LOL so hard.

I guess I should have also mentioned I live in the middle of nowhere, my only local gym hours don't work with my work hours, and there are no major sports stores here. :P
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Sincerely,

This made me LOL so hard.

I guess I should have also mentioned I live in the middle of nowhere, my only local gym hours don't work with my work hours, and there are no major sports stores here. :P

Looks like online shopping for you then! :D
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I just wear leggings and thermal gloves, but the coldest i've ever run in is minus 3 or 4. When its that cold i like to wear a face mask for the first ten to twenty minutes then you just warm up anyway
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I appreciate all the replies... but I guess I really need some brand suggestions since I'm stuck with online-only shopping. :) Thanks again!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Layers are the key - you need a hat or one of those head bands that covers your ears, long sleeve shirt, tights or pants, an athletic jacket, gloves. I like the gloves that have fold over mittens so you can get a finger out to adjust your iPod. Remember once you get going you will feel about 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature. I like to pull a running skirt over my tight too.

Here are a couple sites to check out:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodTY_616004.html
    http://www.junonia.com/categories//cold-weather/7-296-104.htm

Good luck!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Awesome, thank you! :D
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Jessi - try under armor. I got my pair of cold running pants there and they are too hot for Oregon right now and I know Amy runs in them in Germany when it snows.