Type II Diabetics - Insulin Dependent

Options
I have Type II Diabetes, which was diagnosed about 8 or 9 years ago.

When I joined MFP at the end of August this year, the amount of insulin I was taking daily was about 60 (and the blood sugar levels were not under very good control). Within ten days (after a loss of only a few pounds, but a rapid drop in my blood sugar levels), it had dropped to 38.

It stayed at this level for the next six weeks (despite losing on average about 2 pounds per week). Then the same thing happened (although on a smaller scale), and I had to lower it (virtually overnight) to a dose of 30. That was a fortnight ago, and the insulin taken daily is currently steady on 28.

So in two months, with a loss of 8 kg (about 18 pounds), the amount of insulin required is less than half. :smile:

I had my quarterly checkup with my doctor yesterday, and she was wondering whether any other Type II diabetics (on insulin) had similar experiences. Do you fit this category? Has your insulin levels changed? Mine seems to drop rapidly, then plateau for a while.

The medical clinic often refers their Type II diabetics, who want to lose weight, to MFP - so they are quite supportive. I just thought this would be an opportunity to provide them with some feedback of other diabetic members.

If you don't feel comfortable responding to my post publicly, perhaps you could send me a personal message?

Thanks

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2004. I had a blood sugar of 512. I was not insulin dependent. However I was on meds.

Since starting my workouts in July, I was removed from meds by Sept. What do you know... getting off my *kitten* helped me lose weight and brought my body back in alignment with itself. Who'd of thunk.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic!

It is not unusual for the blood sugar to regulate at better levels when you include exercise into your lifestyle.

I also want to share that my Mom was diagnosed with Type II diabetes and I helped her with a food plan which totally took her off meds. Sometimes you can't always totally get off the meds or injections but a specialized food plan (not the one the diabetic assoc. gives you - I found one better) helps totally.

Congrats to all who have made those changes. Good stuff!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I am also type 2 diabetic diagnoised about 9 or 10 yrs ago now, I am really fighting with my Dr because he wants me on insulin if I dont have a better A1C at my next visit. I dont think I need it yet because I was on metformin with amaryl, the amaryl made it IMPOSSIBLE for me to lose weight for 18 months, and when I told him this he said he didnt agree, so I am going against Drs orders, because I know my body I also know what I am doing should be working to lose weight.

I stopped my amaryl a few weeks ago and in just a few weeks lost 16 lbs,6 just last week alone. My numbers are not great yet but I think if I lose another 14 lbs I should start seeing major improvement. I am very over weight yet very short. I am trying to keep my protein higher and my carbs lower , Dr said dont worry about fats so much as I dont have high blood pressure or any cholesterol issues to contend with so can let that be but I still try to keep it in check.

I know eating back exercise calories helped me so much I stalled and couldnt lose and then I finally caved even though I didnt get it and ate them back and it came off like a charm. I conceded to take Byetta instead but am finding even with the thinnest needle, I bleed out the spot of the injection and then it bruises and I am being gentle. I just have always bruised super easy and even my fingers bruise from finger sticks.

I had lost 30 lbs before and found I was able to go off all medication entirely and was controlled with diet and exercise, wishing now I had kept it up, but stress got the best of me and regained. So now I am back down 16 and hopeful it works again. So yes you might get to be able to come off insulin entirely or get a super low dose if you keep this up. I was able to before and I had been on insulin for only 3 months. Good Luck.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I conceded to take Byetta instead but am finding even with the thinnest needle, I bleed out the spot of the injection and then it bruises and I am being gentle. I just have always bruised super easy and even my fingers bruise from finger sticks.

Littlelaura, thanks for your post. I tried Byetta, but it didn't work for me. I was using it a couple of times a day. It made me feel very nauseous, and I certainly didn't lose any weight whilst using it. My doctor promised me that I would have better control (and not feel nauseous) on insulin - and she was correct.

With respect to your fingers, have you tried using hand-cream, to keep your hands soft? I find this helps, and unless I am very closely monitoring my blood sugar levels and taking frequent measurements (ie the blood sugar levels have been dropping quickly), I find that by having "soft" skin, I don't have many problems with bruising.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I conceded to take Byetta instead but am finding even with the thinnest needle, I bleed out the spot of the injection and then it bruises and I am being gentle. I just have always bruised super easy and even my fingers bruise from finger sticks.

Littlelaura, thanks for your post. I tried Byetta, but it didn't work for me. I was using it a couple of times a day. It made me feel very nauseous, and I certainly didn't lose any weight whilst using it. My doctor promised me that I would have better control (and not feel nauseous) on insulin - and she was correct.

With respect to your fingers, have you tried using hand-cream, to keep your hands soft? I find this helps, and unless I am very closely monitoring my blood sugar levels and taking frequent measurements (ie the blood sugar levels have been dropping quickly), I find that by having "soft" skin, I don't have many problems with bruising.

Well for my injections I usually inject in my thigh or fatty area of my lower side (below the level of belly button but between there and my hip in the middle) my thigh usually is what bruises and bleeds my skin on my legs even as a teenager were always so dry.
    I do use lotion but maybe a stronger kind will keep an eye out for some eucerine creme or something I havent had to use that in years. thank you.
  • diamondrn8
    diamondrn8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is what I wanted to hear! I am taking Lantus 15 units at night and I hate giving myself injections. I pray that I can lose the weight and get off all of these meds.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah. I'm Type II and was on Metphormin, Glypzide and Actos!
    With 74lbs lost, I am now only on Metphormin! Hope to drop it soon!