do you workout when you are sick?

Options
I HATE missing an exercise day , in fact i have not missed one in 60 days however today I am sick, stayed home from work, went to the doctor, double ear infection and a sinus infection ( oh yeah I feel like crap!) But the idea of now exercises at all is making me feel even worse...... what do you do when you are sick?

Replies

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Usually if I get sick its bronchitis so I cannot do any cardio so I just try to watch my calories and eat a little less than I normally would and as soon as I feel better I get right back on it. Listen to your body and don't overdue it or you will not get any better.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Sick like that - bed rest, no working out. If you stay home from work because you are too sick for work, you are too sick to exercise.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    60 days! jeez louise. take a rest dude. I want to exercise when I am sick but I don't as it usually just makes you worse. I also read a study recently that mentioned that exercising when sick may weaken your heart, that is in regards to a viral infection.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Best to let your body rest- your immune systems needs all your body's resources to fight off whatever has got you down. The added stress of exercise could prolong your illness and potentially be harmful. If you feel your MUST do something- some gentle stretching and/or yoga at home or a walk around the block to get some fresh air might be OK. But really, best to rest up so you can give it your all when you are better. :smile: Hope you feel better soon!
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm taking today off because I think I would barf for sure if I did...
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick (like I am now), I sleep - ALOT. There is no way I could exercise right now; I would pass out from my head spinning. Take care of yourself.
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    if it was bad enough to stay home from work you might need the rest on the other hand, if you are feeling antsy it could be just what you need. sometimes working out can make you feel a lot better, the sweat and the endorphins are good for you, plus all the mucus and such that you get out when you get moving.

start off slow and go in knowing that you will likley have to/want to stop early and be extra cognizant of what your body tells you so you dont make things worse. also, if you are doing anything that requires much coordination (ie playing a sport like basketball) be extra careful because your balance and reaction time may be off even if you dont realize it.
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    It can seriously detriment your health ( depending how sick you are)

Think about it , your bodys to do list will have " get me better " at the top of it

Dyah think it wants to worry about building muscle and shedding weight too?

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/injurypreventiontreatment/a/trainwhensick.htm

read (:
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My son is a competitive cyclist, and the trainers that he has worked with have told us this rule of thumb:

If you are sick from the neck up - Head cold, sinus, etc.. - Exercise is OK.
    If you are sick from the neck down - Chest, bronchitis, intestinal, etc. - Better to rest.

Good luck.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    being sick is your bodys way of saying "i need a break" take a few days to rest,hydrate, take care of you and your body will thank you later.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of sickness I have. If I have a head cold I will allow myself to do maybe 100 crunches (like today!), and sometimes go for a short walk/jog. But I'll keep it light. Any other kind of sickness I just rest. It's what my body is telling me to do anyway!
  • spartanmomca
    Options
    I ended up taking my dog for a 35 minute walk, it kinda drained me so I am heading to bed early, thanks for all yoru advice and well wishes!