So you want to get in shape huh?

Options
Losing weight is a great endeavor and I applaud everyone who is on this journey. The blood, sweat, and tears are worth it. My new long-term/short-term/every-term goal is to get into shape. This is a lifelong process. Many people want to "lose weight for an occassion." I suspect because people don't want to appear out of shape or to make an impression. This is great but what usually happens after those few lbs are lost and the occassion passes by? The weight comes back and bad habits settle in again. I know, I've been there several times before. But this time I'm setting my sights high and pledge to live a healthy life to get in shape. I'm not satisfied anymore with losing weight. I want to see how much my mind and body can improve until the point where I just can't improve. who knows where that plateau is? Well, that's my point. I don't know so I will spend the rest of my life trying. WDYT?

-Jerome

Replies

• Shineonme06
    Shineonme06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It's more about changing the way you look at food and excercise. Setting new maintance weights to live by. Hopefully it's a weight that's reasonable to maintain (or a bodyfat % that's reasonable).

I want to keep fit to play with my 6 yo daughter as long as I can. I also coach a 11 boys b-ball. Lead by example for as long as I can. At 43, I need to keep using it or risk losing it.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Very admirable goal! Good luck on your journey and to lifelong good health!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Losing weight is a great endeavor and I applaud everyone who is on this journey. The blood, sweat, and tears are worth it. My new long-term/short-term/every-term goal is to get into shape. This is a lifelong process. Many people want to "lose weight for an occassion." I suspect because people don't want to appear out of shape or to make an impression. This is great but what usually happens after those few lbs are lost and the occassion passes by? The weight comes back and bad habits settle in again. I know, I've been there several times before. But this time I'm setting my sights high and pledge to live a healthy life to get in shape. I'm not satisfied anymore with losing weight. I want to see how much my mind and body can improve until the point where I just can't improve. who knows where that plateau is? Well, that's my point. I don't know so I will spend the rest of my life trying. WDYT?

-Jerome

That's the spirit!!! :bigsmile:
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Dead on, it's all about a change in lifestyle. Many of us here talk about it, this is a journey that lasts a lifetime not a trip that's completed in a few months. It is strange how our society has embraced periodic dieting as a normal course of every day life. Indeed our goals should be a healthy overall diet so we don't have any need for periodic dieting. I think many here have made the same pledge you have, I know I did back on July 1, and I don't intend to ever fail that pledge.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Great outlook! loved your post, and I'm realizing I want to make a LIFE change too!
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    4 months ago I had decided that I'd lose the weight first then work on my fitness. My trainer (who is awesome by the way) decided to start getting me moving more and setting me goals that exceeded what I thought I could do and now I've realised I dont care much about the weight anymore, getting into shape is doing so much more for me. I'm getting stronger, getting more endurance, feeling fantastic and seeing better results.

This was always meant to be a lifestyle change for me and now I know it will be.

Heres to a better life! :)
  • prunella1066
    prunella1066 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    But this time I'm setting my sights high and pledge to live a healthy life to get in shape. I'm not satisfied anymore with losing weight. I want to see how much my mind and body can improve until the point where I just can't improve.

This is a very difficult decision for people to make........a lifelong commitment to health and fitness. I admire you and am glad to be one of your MFP buddies to be able to follow your progress!!

I'm trying to make a lifelong commitment to change as well!! There are many changes that I want to make in myself besides just weight loss.....that is just the tip of the iceberg!! :wink:

Good Luck in your journey!!
  • sugarsprinkles
    Options
    Love your post! I have been the classic "occasion dieter". Most recently, my daughter's wedding last weekend. Well here I am, in full realization that the work I put in the past three months, did get me to "slim", but this journey is now going to continue... not quit! I have found through the grace of God, a place of support and education for health and body understanding unlike anything I have ever experienced. One day at a time, and one day better each day. On a funny note, I thought of the movie "Lawnmower Man" when I read the end of your post ;))))