Help, I don't understand..

Options
im new to all of this and was just wondering about my daily calorie limit.. after my exercise today it says i have an extra 288 calories .. am i supposed to eat more calories or what? someone please help me to get my head around this? Thanks!!

Replies

• annanoel21
    annanoel21 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The extra cals are what you burned off when you worked out. You can eat those back. Some people do - i rarely ever eat back my workout cals.
  • JanetGordon21
    Options
    Thanks guys! So am i supposed to eat the calories i burn off back... but then i wont lose any weight no? Ahh im confused right now. Will i be hindering my weight loss if i don'e eat the calories back? :S
  • kantone999
    Options
    If your daily calorie goal was already low enough for you to lose weight, you will still lose weight at that rate if you eat the calories you added back to your total by exercising. If you don't eat them back, you'll create a greater calorie deficit and lose a few more ounces. Hope this helps.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    For me if I do not eat my exercise calories I have better weight loss. There are some days when you will run into your exercise calories but don't worry it won't cause you to gain weight. See what works best for you,
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i refuse to eat back the calories i burn off during excersise. i usually complete my food intake for the day, then i complete my excersise for the day. it works better for me that way. less temptation to over eat :) good luck
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    This site has your calorie deficit built in already. You should start by eating your exercise calories back. If, after a few weeks, you are not losing weight, try cutting back to eating half of them back. It is better to have more to eat and feel good while you are losing weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! So am i supposed to eat the calories i burn off back... but then i wont lose any weight no? Ahh im confused right now. Will i be hindering my weight loss if i don'e eat the calories back? :S

There are a few things to consider:

1) MFP already calculates a deficit, so if you eat back all of your exercise calories, in theory, you will still lose weight at the pace you set MFP to calculate for you. Granted, this uses estimations all over the place but it's best to trust them and adjust as needed.

2) That being said, MFP also overstates burn calories, so eating back 100% of them is not always a good idea, unless you have a very accurate way of calculating your exercise calories.

It will not hinder your weight loss to not eat them back in the short term. I would not recommend this strategy long term.

A safe way to go and a good compromise would be to eat back a portion of them regularly.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Did you read this? It will answer all your questions.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • JanetGordon21
    Options
    Thanks guys! I understand now! You are all so lovely for helping me out! Can't wait to keep going with this! I am truly optimistic right now and i'm only on day 2!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Generally, you do not have to eat back all your exercise calories back unless you are netting below 1200.
  • annanoel21
    annanoel21 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

As long as you eat over 1200 cals you should be fine. Dont go under that. i dont normally eat my workout cals back - i havent been as hungry since i started working out. And ive been on this site going on 2 weeks. I started at 225 when i signed up and im at 220 now. It wont hinder your weightloss if you dont eat them back.