soda

Options
can anyone tell me why drinking diet soda is bad? i like them but everyone in mfp seems to be giving them up. why? i understand giving up regular soda, that stuff is bad news. but diet?

what about mineral water? it is carbonated too. i looooooove mineral water, please don't tell me it's bad for me!

Replies

• jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    can anyone tell me why drinking diet soda is bad? i like them but everyone in mfp seems to be giving them up. why? i understand giving up regular soda, that stuff is bad news. but diet?

what about mineral water? it is carbonated too. i looooooove mineral water, please don't tell me it's bad for me!
  • kirianne
    kirianne Posts: 1
    Options
    well, it's yummy, but...

I do know that it weakens bones, over the long run. Sugar and sweeteners do that, but so does any carbonization, not just cola. What happens is that it makes the blood more acidic, which your body then has to use calcium to regulate and return it to its natural pH. In pretty much every case, your body is going to get that calcium from your bones... and long-term, that spells osteoporosis.

strangely, lemons and limes help your body with alkalinity--to fight acidity. So if you squeeze a lemon into your diet coke, you'll help the problem (but not solve it).

Hope that's helpful! Good luck!
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well while diet is better than regular, soda (or pop as we say in the midwest), soda of any kind doesn't help you lose weight. Mainly its the sugar plus there are healthier choices so why not take those if you can. And trust me, pop was the hardest thing for me to give up! I don't do diet but give me a can of regular cherry coke or pepsi and it is like crack to an addict!! Seriously...lol! So I would say, get rid of it all together until you reach your goal weight and a glass here and there after to maintain. At least that is what I am going to do! :laugh:
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners are pretty bad... they've been linked to cancer and learning disorders, and they confuse your metabolism into thinking there are no calories in sweet foods. The artificial sweeteners are not recognized by the brain as sugar, so they don't curb a sweet craving.

There's also sodium in soda, which causes water retention.

Basically, soda is just toxic sludge in a can (whether regular or diet). If you can't give it up completely, try to limit it.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    here's a list of reasons why soda is bad (some of them are repeats):
    *its processed
    *it has no nutritional value what-so-ever
    *as mentioned before, any carbonation will leach away the calcium in your bones and teeth
    *again, as mentioned before, it has artificial sweeteners that have been linked to multiple health issues.
    * the caffeine is a diuretic and will make you dehydrated

if you don't want to give it up all together, then try to limit it as much as possible
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    oohhh... just for fun, let's look at the ingredients in Diet Coke:

* Carbonated water (the only apparently OK ingredient....)
    * Caramel color (a coloring agent that is made by heating carbohydrates until they turn brown and
    sticky)
    * Aspartame (a controversial artificial sweetener that might be linked to brain cancer)
    * Phosphoric acid (a type of acid that gives a sour or tangy taste and is linked to lowering bone density)
    * Potassium benzoate (a preservative used to preserve taste and shelf life, not recommended for
    children in the EU)
    * Natural flavors (these can come from just about anywhere... so your guess is as good as mine...)
    * Citric acid (a flavoring that erodes tooth enamel and BTW, when used as a processed food additive,
    it doesn't come from citrus - but fermented by Aspergillus niger mold from scrap molasses)
    * Caffeine (a stimulant, and my vice....)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

with a little time, patience, persistence, and effort you can learn to love purified water and herb tea (iced or hot)----your body will thank you for it.

good luck:flowerforyou:
  • bathedinshadow
    bathedinshadow Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Jenlynengel posted a pretty good explanation to this in another thread. Here it is:

"I am no expert but I do want to be a nutritionist someday and I am going to school for it...my personal opinion about Coke Zero and any diet soda for that matter is that it is complete poison on every level. The sweetness of it comes from artificial sweetners which = chemicals! Personally I believe it is better to drink normal sugary soda than to put your body through the havoc of diet sodas. To answer your question though, will it make you gain weight? no; but it certainly won't help in your effort to lose weight either. It can however cause bloating, constipation, fatigue, headaches, kidney problems, skin problems, depression...etc. The thing is that your body knows what to do with sugar, but it doesn't have the slightest clue what to do with chemicals. If you really love soda, my advice to you would be to try sparkling water with lemon or lime or whatever other fruit you want in it. Some people ( I know many) find that they are more attached to the refreshing effervesence of soda rather than the sugar anyhow. As for the artificial sweetner thing...you should really give Stevia a try! It's a completely natural fiber supplement that just happens to be sweet, and you can put it in just about everything. I carry it in my purse."

So though regular soda has more calories, diet sodas are worse.
  • Snags
    Snags Posts: 43
    Options
    its the aspertain in it but i can cut it out all together and not lose anything i dont know why everyone i know that drinks soda and stops all together loses wight but not me so i still drink it. ive lost 13 lbs in a lil over 3 weeks and idrink 2 cans of dt mountain dew a day