Cruelty Free Meat Brands..?

Options
Do these even exist? I don't think I can be vegetarian (yet..) but I'm all for the humane treatment of animals. Do they have brands of meat that are organic/free range/hormone free/etc...?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    Probably. Not cruelty-free meat, though. That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yeah understandable. Just wondering if anything like that existed.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Probably. Not cruelty-free meat, though. That's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

LMAO! I'm a meat eater & won't apologize for it. I do love animals(pets) and won't stand for their inhumane treatment.
  • JDNOX
    JDNOX Posts: 619
    Options
    Not sure how you can humanely kill anything but you know what I love meat and it makes me happy. I love animals all of them. Just some are better on the plate.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options

LMAO! I'm a meat eater & won't apologize for it. I do love animals(pets) and won't stand for their inhumane treatment.

I would consider eating them to be treating animals inhumanely.
    Unless you eat other humans.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    Just asking a question guys, not trying to start a debate :ohwell:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you can humanely kill anything but you know what I love meat and it makes me happy. I love animals all of them. Just some are better on the plate.

There are ways to kill them that are more humane than others and which are currently used by some farmers.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options

There are ways to kill them that are more humane than others and which are currently used by some farmers.

Agreed. Just trying to look for the most humane brands possible, that's it!
  • Gary1977
    Options

I would consider eating them to be treating animals inhumanely.
    Unless you eat other humans.

It would depend on what said human looked like & how "organic" it was at the time:devil: :noway: :laugh: :wink:
  • nicolemojan
    nicolemojan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a vegetarian now, but when I ate meat, I tried to buy brands that were "certified humane." This website lets you search for stores that carry brands that gets this organization's thumbs up re: how the animals are treated during their lifetime: http://www.certifiedhumane.org/index.php?page=where-to-buy

Hope that helps! And hopefully you get some replies that actually, oh, I dunno, attempt to answer your question? Yeah, I said it.

Best of luck, glad to hear you're looking for kinder ways to consume!
  • Gary1977
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a vegetarian now, but when I ate meat, I tried to buy brands that were "certified humane." This website lets you search for stores that carry brands that gets this organization's thumbs up re: how the animals are treated during their lifetime: http://www.certifiedhumane.org/index.php?page=where-to-buy

Hope that helps! And hopefully you get some replies that actually, oh, I dunno, attempt to answer your question? Yeah, I said it.

In all seriousness, great reply!:drinker:
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options

Seriously, thank you! This is all I was looking for! (And without the snarkiness...) And yes, you did answer my question. Thanks for your help! :)
  • Timkerbelle
    Options
    To the OP - I realise this is a bit of topic, but have you considered trying a vegetarian/vegan challenge for a few weeks? Since you said "not yet", it seems as though you want to do it but don't feel quite ready.
    If you commit to eating veg for a period of time you may either find that a) it's way easier than you thought, or b) it's not for you (yet! ;))

Even though I don't agree at all with eating meat, I still have to commend you for caring enough to at least look for the "best of a bad bunch"
  • DownSheGoes
    Options
    I only buy free range eggs, chicken meat, pork, bacon etc
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You could have a look at what "free range" or "grass fed" or "pasture fed" options are available in your area.

Be aware though that "free range" doesn't necessarily mean cruelty-free or humane treatment.
    My sister lives in a country town where they produce "free range" chicken and she has discovered that this really means that they are squashed into a big shed with a small outdoor area instead of being in cages. And although they are labelled with the name of the town, when their supply runs low they ship them down from the city and butcher them lcoally so they can label them "local". Not quite the image of happy chooks prancing around a green grass paddock that you might expect.

You might like to go to your local farmers market and chat to the suppliers there and see if any of them are also the producers. Or go along to food shows (if there is such a thing in your town) we found a supplier of meat who ship direct from the farm so you are missing out on the middle men and can get real information on where your meat is coming from. We didn't follow it up because the quantities and prices weren't right for us but there may be options like this where you live.

(By the way, I didn't think people were being nasty, although I know what you are asking, the title was asking for trouble!)
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank you Ruby, took the words I had ready when I saw the title of this thread, right out of my mouth. I commend the OP for caring enough to investigate 'less cruel' methods of obtaining meat products, but investigate a little deeper, and you'll learn that these claims can be pretty deceptive.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Kosher meat is slaughtered in a certain way that is known to cause the animal as little pain as possible, so if you're having trouble finding meat from a source you know treats the animals better, this could be another option that might ease your mind.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Kosher meat is slaughtered in a certain way that is known to cause the animal as little pain as possible, so if you're having trouble finding meat from a source you know treats the animals better, this could be another option that might ease your mind.

That's hotly disputed by people like PETA...
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i find some of the replies on here to be down right sickening.

Most of these idiots do not even know what these animals have to freakin go through when they are being brutally tortured and slaughtered, the rest of them don't care. Sorry, i will spare a life before i eat it, which i find to be sickening also. Human beings are greedy and selfish and that is the end of the story.

I'm sure these *kitten* enjoy watching a bullfight also to go along with there sick mind.

There are some places that kill there animals humanely, you just have to find them.
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Uh oh. Here we go.