Do we have anyone from the gay/lesbian community involved wi

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No. Like I said, I am a supporter. It goes against the terms and conditions of the site, unfortunately. I'm telling you so you can quickly add each other as friends and support one another on your walls.

How does that go against the terms and conditions of the site?

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about any of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

I disagree with the rule, but I can almost guarantee that as soon as this post showed up on the right-hand of some poster's screens they immediately reported it.
  • kackerly
    Options
    No. Like I said, I am a supporter. It goes against the terms and conditions of the site, unfortunately. I'm telling you so you can quickly add each other as friends and support one another on your walls.

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about any of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

I disagree with the rule, but I can almost guarantee that as soon as this post showed up on the right-hand of some poster's screens they immediately reported it.

That is sad!!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    yeah we can't be trusted to discuss adult matters on a website limited to 18 and above... go figure
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I feel like putting it out here so my 0.02 are out there for anyone to see. Sexuality =/= Sexual orientation. If you want to take it to that extreme, then you need to enforce it for heterosexual and bisexuals as well. This means if anyone makes mention of being straight, that is worthy of deletion. If not, you're being discriminatory.
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Total supporter, and we, the MFP community, really should take a stand against this bigoted rule. Unless we are going to lock down any thread that mentions anyone's boyfriend, girlfriend, or husband or wife, people deserve to talk about the fact that they are gay. It's not like they are describing the details of their sex lives in vivid detail--it's discriminatory to shut down gay-oriented threads.
  • sunshinesher01
    sunshinesher01 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

That is sad!!

This is pretty messed up... we aren't trying to turn people gay... we just like to feel the support from all angles.
  • SexyMongoose
    Options
    I'm not gay, but fully support all of you (: add me!
  • Bustic
    Options
    were not even talking about sexuality....so they shouldnt close this.....asking if theres a type of person on here..is that illegal too?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'm not a lesbian but my wife is
    That is what my girlfriend says...
    this had me snorting my gin and tonic! well done!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options

That is sad!!

Totally! In the short time I've been here it seems there are a few that get offended easily. Unfortunately this topic will.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm a supporter. I'm bisexual, though in a heterosexual relationship.
  • Bustic
    Options
    oh i added a few of you but didnt put a meesage....anyone else who wants to add me it welcome to do so :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

That is sad!!

Sadly there are some very narrow minded people on the forums (as there are in real life).

The rule is there to prevent members being subjected to insults.

With the introduction of the new group feature (which they are promising will be launched soon), there will be the opportunity to create a group for like minded people to discuss things without reprisal from other uses of the website.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I feel like putting it out here so my 0.02 are out there for anyone to see. Sexuality =/= Sexual orientation. If you want to take it to that extreme, then you need to enforce it for heterosexual and bisexuals as well. This means if anyone makes mention of being straight, that is worthy of deletion. If not, you're being discriminatory.

I totally agree but we can't get the powers that be to see it that way.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Total supporter, and we, the MFP community, really should take a stand against this bigoted rule. Unless we are going to lock down any thread that mentions anyone's boyfriend, girlfriend, or husband or wife, people deserve to talk about the fact that they are gay. It's not like they are describing the details of their sex lives in vivid detail--it's discriminatory to shut down gay-oriented threads.

Unfortunately this won't happen as its the MODS and Mike that lock threads. You could probably report posts all day long but they won't lock them.
  • Schwiggs
    Options

Unfortunately this won't happen as its the MODS and Mike that lock threads. You could probably report posts all day long but they won't lock them.

Always possible to just spam the **** out of the reports just to be a nuisance then.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread, as well as offer a preview of some changes that will be debuted soon at MyFitnessPal. These changes are being made with the express purpose of allowing more leeway in terms of what users can freely post on the site.

The forum guidelines include this item:

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss any of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

In the past, with only a small crew of volunteer moderators to help keep the dialogue on the site positive and supportive, Mike has reluctantly had to create a rule which disallows any posts about these potentially divisive topics. Mike would greatly prefer to allow all of these topics to be discussed on the site, but so far, we haven’t had the resources to moderate such topics in a manageable fashion. Often the tone of the original thread is harmless, but as the threads proceed, members participating in such topics have been subject to insults or attacks, feelings have gotten hurt, and in more instances than we would like, a moderator wasn’t able to step in quickly enough to prevent this from happening.

To help the situation and with the purpose of really letting conversation on the site blossom, two things are being done: the team is training more moderators, and the site will soon feature a new “Groups” feature.

With Groups, Members will be able to form their own groups and invite other members to join. Each group would have it’s own forum, and group forums would have much more leeway in the range of topics discussed. So, for example, you’ll absolutely be able to create a faith-based, or politically leaning support group and discuss the exact range of topics you’d like to discuss. Groups will be able to host a much more diverse and mature range of conversations, and because groups will be able to moderate themselves, we hope they’ll be much better at protecting some of our more targeted populations from unwanted hassle. We plan to heavily promote the existence of groups to all of our members, fostering strong participation and hopefully giving you exactly the community experience you are looking for on our site.

In the meantime, we appreciate your understanding. We’re committed to making MyFitnessPal a place where all members can communicate openly in a supportive, and positive environment that helps them to achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

PS.......

I have indeed locked topics looking for "heterosexual friends for support" & "trying to fix my best female friend up with an MFP male any takers" type threads on more than a couple of occasions. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
  • Schwiggs
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread, as well as offer a preview of some changes that will be debuted soon at MyFitnessPal. These changes are being made with the express purpose of allowing more leeway in terms of what users can freely post on the site.

The forum guidelines include this item:

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about either of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss any of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

In the past, with only a small crew of volunteer moderators to help keep the dialogue on the site positive and supportive, Mike has reluctantly had to create a rule which disallows any posts about these potentially divisive topics. Mike would greatly prefer to allow all of these topics to be discussed on the site, but so far, we haven’t had the resources to moderate such topics in a manageable fashion. Often the tone of the original thread is harmless, but as the threads proceed, members participating in such topics have been subject to insults or attacks, feelings have gotten hurt, and in more instances than we would like, a moderator wasn’t able to step in quickly enough to prevent this from happening.

To help the situation and with the purpose of really letting conversation on the site blossom, two things are being done: the team is training more moderators, and the site will soon feature a new “Groups” feature.

With Groups, Members will be able to form their own groups and invite other members to join. Each group would have it’s own forum, and group forums would have much more leeway in the range of topics discussed. So, for example, you’ll absolutely be able to create a faith-based, or politically leaning support group and discuss the exact range of topics you’d like to discuss. Groups will be able to host a much more diverse and mature range of conversations, and because groups will be able to moderate themselves, we hope they’ll be much better at protecting some of our more targeted populations from unwanted hassle. We plan to heavily promote the existence of groups to all of our members, fostering strong participation and hopefully giving you exactly the community experience you are looking for on our site.

In the meantime, we appreciate your understanding. We’re committed to making MyFitnessPal a place where all members can communicate openly in a supportive, and positive environment that helps them to achieve their weight-loss and fitness goals.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14923-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

PS.......

I have indeed locked topics looking for "heterosexual friends for support" & "trying to fix my best female friend up with an MFP male any takers" type threads on more than a couple of occasions. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    last
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Someone forgot to lock the door.
This discussion has been closed.