how to prevent shin splints when running?

Options
anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent your shins from hurting and cramping when running and for days after? I stretch them out good for 15 minutes before running and still can't keep the shin splints from coming!

Replies

• utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Do you have proper running shoes?? I've been running for over three years and my first year were just on generic under armour shoes. I finally went to a running store and got fitted for a good shoe. I developed the worst shin splints ever about six months ago and decided it was time to get new shoes.

You should get new shoes about every thousand miles or so.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Shoes, its all about the shoes.
  • nikkih9
    nikkih9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are definately a good starting point, and stretching is good. You can also try icing them after you go running. What works for me when I get sore shins is getting them massaged - getting rid of all the knots in the muscles makes a huge difference.
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Try streching by placing your foot up against a curb then push your knee of the same leg forward. It seems to help me.
  • wallacam194
    Options
    i probably should get new shoes. i only have my puma running sneakers and have had them a year. ill try getting new ones and massaging/icing my shins. hopefully that will help!
  • jlohern
    jlohern Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My track coach in high school always had us end our practices with exercises to help prevent shin splints. We would have to walk the length of the basketball court and back (1) on our tip toes, (2) on our heels, (3) with toes pointed in, and (4) with toes pointed out. It always helped me.
  • frmeital
    Options
    This is from an article about top causes and solutions for shin splints, I found it helpful when I needed it:

Top 7 Causes and Reasons for Shin Splints
    Shin splints can be caused by a number of factors which are mainly bio mechanical (abnormal movement patterns) and errors in training.
    Here's a list of the different causes and reasons for this condition, including some that probably never occurred to you:

Cause #1 - Inadequate footwear

Changing to new running or workout shoes or wear shoes that don't have enough support. This can happen because of wearing your shoes for too long and they wear out. The most recommended are ASICS Running Shoes

Solution: Changing to better running shoes with the right support or adding Shock absorbing insoles for your shoes.

Cause #2 - Increasing training too quickly

Instead of working up to a training level gradually.

Solution: Reduce your speed and distance when you run.

Cause #3 - Running on hard surfaces

Or changing surfaces from what you are used to. For example, from a trail to concrete.

Solution

Run or exercise only on soft surfaces, such as dirt or grass, and run on level ground avoiding hills.

Cause #4 - Weak Ankle

Decreased flexibility at the ankle joint, tight achilles tendon or weak ankle muscles.

Solution

: Daily stretches of your calf and front of leg. There is a video demonstration of an excellent exercise - Just below this.

Cause #5 - Overpronation of the feet

Pronation is the movement of the subtalar joint. Pronation occurs as the foot rolls inwards and the arch of the foot flattens. Over pronation can cause injury and pain in the foot and ankle. Look at your running shoes: If they are worn on the inside of the sole in particular, you could be suffering from overpronation.

Solution

Get a running shoe with extra medial support. It gives extra support for the load and prevents the foot from rolling or flattening. Also, you can get Orthotic Insoles

Cause #6 - Flat feet

Some people have flat arches in their feet, which can make the feet roll inward when running - possibly causing shin splints.

Solution

Again, running shoes with Extra medial support.

Cause #7 - Bone Trauma

Bone trauma to the lower leg can result in stress fractures. Constant pounding the leg bones may cause tiny cracks and fractures in the lower leg bones.

Solution

Rest is needed to repair these cracks. Without it, cracks grow to become fractures, causing a lot of pain and a long rehabilitation. You can also temporarily try running in the pool or swimming to keep being active and strengthening the ankle muscles - under reduced load and stress. But, without adequate recover, these cracks continue to grow and become a fracture. The result is acute pain and a long recovery.

Source: http://www.squidoo.com/shin-splints-treatment-for-athletes
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist said that I have really really tight calves and that they are causing shin splints, as well as knee and hip pain.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist said that I have really really tight calves and that they are causing shin splints, as well as knee and hip pain.

Is there anything that was suggested to relieve this or is it something you have to just deal with?
  • 1erica60
    1erica60 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump to find later:smile:
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    OP, shin pain is generally thought to have more to do with biomechanics and alignment than stretching or lack thereof. In fact, recent studies have shown that stretching before exercise isn't really effective. Your best bet is as others have described: Go to a running store (a REAL running store, not the sports megamart), tell them what's going on, and have them suggest a good shoe for you. If they don't have you running on a treadmill before selling a shoe, find another store.

After running, stretch your calves and shins well, but not too aggressively. If they hurt after, RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

There's a great book out there on running injury prevention, called "Running Doc's Guide to Healthy Running: How to Fix Injuries, Stay Active, and Run Pain-Free". It's written by the medical director for the Rock and Roll marathons, and has new, updated info for runners. I bet your library has a copy. If not, Amazon does. That is the source for my information.
  • chyloet
    chyloet Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • traviskoehn
    Options
    bump
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    - Always warm-up with a brisk walk or jog.

- Don't push yourself until you're conditioned. Practice slow miles & short runs that give little to no discomfort in the days following, until it's time to turn it up a small notch. (I'm guilty of doing this often, normally while trying to beat a PR. A lot of us do it, but in the long run it will set you back with slower mileage, discomfort/pain & possibly even long term damage.)

- Stretch after the work out & don't rush through it. Although still commonly debated, don't stretch those muscles before the workout, as they'll be cold & tight. (I can almost feel the muscle tears just thinking about it.)

- If you're in the process of trying to adjust your form or gait, take it slow. If moving to mid/forefoot running, only do small portions of your runs in that style, and increase the duration in that stride each week until your muscles are ready. Changing your form overnight is a recipe for disaster.

On the subject of gait analysis: I have mixed feelings about going for gait analysis, as I was fitted for a nice pair of Mizunos a few months ago to correct mild over-pronation on one side and have had more problems with that side since. Give it a shot, but the right shoes sometimes don't make a lick of difference. If it weren't winter here, I'd pop my Vibrams back on for runs, for even with no support they were more comfortable with no pain.

Simply put, "don't over-do it & love those muscles afterwards."
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had shin splints that hurt even when i was walking normal! I went to a physio. she said to keep off it for a good few weeks to help it heal, get fitted properly for a decent pair of running shoes. then as you start to exercise do it gradually e.g. start by walking first before running.

she also recommended that after a workout I stretch a lot and ice up my legs, then wear a compression bandage.

and it worked because i was only sore for a total of 2months and they have never came back!!!

so I definitely recommend to see a physio..........mine said that most people won't go to a physio about their splints until they can barely walk, and by then they've done some serious damage!!!!!! don't push through the pain, legs are important :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    What surface are you running on? Sidewalks (concrete) are ten times harder than asphalt. I run on the side of the road whenever it's safe to do so, or on an asphalt paved runner-biker trail. Sidewalks are terrible for running.