Food for energy.

Options
This may sound like a stupid question and maybe I'm having a brain fart but- Are there foods that wake you up and give you energy? Like coffee does?

Replies

• skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try an apple or orange. They have enough natural sugar to give you a boost, but enough fiber to make it a steady boost without the crash. Really any fruit is good!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Don't know of any that have the stimulant caffeine effect...maybe chocolate. Processed foods and a diet heavy with carbs make you sluggish. Exercise is a great stimulant IMO.
  • JasonWCNewcomb
    Options
    I switched to working out in the morning and found that water wakes me up. Dehydration makes you lethargic and tired. Drink lots of water.

Other than that, everyone is different but I find that carbs which are high in fructose and fiber do the trick. Such as a banana. I make smoothies with bananas, blueberries and flax seed which I find pick me up. Also, eating small amounts frequently prevents me from crashing as well.

But you'll be hard pressed to find a similar sensation as caffeine strictly from food. Sometimes a coffee is what you want. :)

Good luck!
  • poulingail
    Options
    Coffee is the only thing that works for me. Not tea, not chocolate (although that can keep me from falling asleep.) Haven't tried any energy drinks though. I have never eaten any really energizing food. Fruit can be a pick me up when I am dead but it doesn't give me a real burst of energy like coffee.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Salad. Just switch out the iceberg for coca. It's awesome.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Coffee is the only thing that works for me. Not tea, not chocolate (although that can keep me from falling asleep.) Haven't tried any energy drinks though. I have never eaten any really energizing food. Fruit can be a pick me up when I am dead but it doesn't give me a real burst of energy like coffee.
    Energy drinks are BAD!!! Don't do it!!!!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Energy drinks are BAD!!! Don't do it!!!!

Theyre very bad. A friend of a friend died b/c he was drinking eight 5hr energies in the morning and monsters, rockstars etc on top of it throughout the day. His body couldn't handle it, he was in his early 20's.

Thanks everyone for your input!
  • JasonWCNewcomb
    Options
    If all else fails try cocaine. Japes!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    If all else fails try cocaine.

Yea.