early morning exercisers ?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I try my best to get up at 4am to workout before work, but it doesn't always happen.

Do you find that if you don't get it done in the morning, there's a very good chance it won't get done? How do you find the motivation to get it done at night, especially if you know you're going to get up again in a few hours to exercise again?

I don't do that well with night exercise if I miss in the morning. I know I should, but I just lack the motivation at night. I guess I need to make myself get up no matter what.

Replies

• ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    i find that i can be more consistent when i dont' try to get up at some ungodly hour... EVERY day. I do it 3x a week and that works really well for me, I rationalize and think, I can sleep in a little more tomorrow, just DO IT TODAY. On the days where I don't get up early, it's a fun challenge to see where I can fit in the workout.

Everyone has their niche..
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I WAS exercising at 4:30 P.M., but then my husband complained that it woke him up, and now I'm going to have to become an evening exerciser whether I like it or not. I'm a teacher and also have my own business, so all of that paperwork will have to shift to my old early-morning work-out time slot. I think it'll be okay, though. The nice thing is that I'll already know how many calories I need to burn *before* I start my work-out :)
  • carleyb74
    Options
    I just started (again) a week or so ago and for the first time in my life I am working out at 6am instead of 8pm. The difference is remarkable. I work harder in the mornings and tend to feel better through the day. And, to answer your question, when I used to work out in the evenings I would regularly decide to skip a session because I couldn't be bothered. At least I have nothing to stop me in the mornings!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    I let how I feel motivate me. I feel better after I work out, even if is a light work-out. Also, I allow myself to not get up if I feel I need the the rest.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    oh I hear ya!!!
    I try to workout in the morning, cuz then I feel better. I feel terribly guiilty if I don't, but s&^% happens sometimes and you can't always exercise in the morning.
    then I def try to get some sort of exercise in the evening. (try is the opportune work)
    If that doesnt happen....then it is a unscheduled rest day :)
    Do the best you can and tomorrow is another day with new goals.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    On days that I am waking up early to get my exercise done it's because that's the only time I'm going to get it done, other wise I sleep.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    oh I hear ya!!!
    I try to workout in the morning, cuz then I feel better. I feel terribly guiilty if I don't, but s&^% happens sometimes and you can't always exercise in the morning.
    then I def try to get some sort of exercise in the evening. (try is the opportune work)
    If that doesnt happen....then it is a unscheduled rest day :)
    Do the best you can and tomorrow is another day with new goals.
    We sound exactly alike! I will sometimes get it done at night, but I really, really have to motivate myself somehow. I do feel better and less edgy if I get it done in the morning, and I always kick myself a few hours later after I should've exercised because I can feel the mood change already. I need to keep reminding myself that when the alarm goes off!
  • Emily102102
    Emily102102 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I normally work out in the morning but couldn't yesterday, When I finally had the chance it was 9:00 at night & I Had NO motivation, & was even grouchy.
    So I logged onto MFP & inserted "treadmill 60 min" & felt obligated! LOL I thought to myself ugghh this is going to seem like forever but about 5 min in I was actually enjoying it! When I was about 45 min in I felt like quiting but I had to go 60 min. cause I logged it. When I was done I felt Great & was in a very good mood!
    I worked out this moring probably about 3hrs after I normally would & Tomorrow I will be back on track :)
    (When I do workout @ night I Don't do the same exercises I do in the mornings)
    ~Congratulations on your 110 lb loss, you look great ~
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    I'm completely with you!!! I was doing so good for awhile, getting up at 5am and going to the gym but I got in a slump and have tried going after work a couple times but it's just not happening. Cheers to early morning workouts!!!
  • BArdovino78
    Options
    I'm an early morning exerciser (4am as well) when I don't have my kids (I'm divorced and have my kids 50/50 every week). I just get up and do it because I know it gives me a ton of energy for the day and I usually like to add another workout when I get out of work for that extra calorie burnage :) Motivation comes from within, it's something that drives you to get up and get going and want to get it done. I love to workout whenever I can find time :) Give yourself a week of early morning workouts before you throw the towel in. It's a great way to jump start your day! Good luck!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I started working out in the morning but I would have a hard time getting up and would be upset at myself if I hit snooze. Now I get home from work (6:30), change clothes and tell myself "its only 20 minutes" (altho its usually 30-45 because it feels so good after I get started) - I try and do that 3x per week and do hot power yoga a few times a week at night - it makes me sleep so well :yawn:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I idolized the early AM peeps. Here I think I'm doing well to hit the 7:45am skating session. I don't know what early is, apparently!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i have been an early morning exerciser for a very long time and i still argue with myself every single morning! if i turn off my alarm and lie back down i don't fall back asleep anyway, i lie there and feel guilty. i am on-call some nights and if i get a million phone calls or get called to the hospital i don't get it done in the morning so i try to walk at lunch.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Sucking it up and getting up early to workout made all of the difference for me. Here's why:

1. I have more energy during the day
    2. I think twice before making poor eating choices, remembering what I did in the morning
    3. I know how many calories I have for the remainder of the day
    4. Less temptation to stop for fast food before/after/instead of the gym
    5. Working out at night, I could not just get home and sleep. Ended up staying up way later, affecting me the next day
    6. I've read that getting enough sleep helps one avoid cravings, and in my case, appears to be true.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I workout at 5AM M-F. Saturdays I sleep in until about 7. It's what I have to do to make things work with the family/work schedules. I guess I am just that motivated. :)
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I generally try to get a good 40 minute run in prior to my work day on weekdays.

On weekends its whenever.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! You are definitely helping me re-find my motivation to get up early. I will do it tomorrow! :smile:
  • DannyX66
    Options
    Kave and Amy,
    Your both such great inspirations. I don't get up at 4am but I do get up 45 minutes earlier than I used to for a workout. I also don't run yet but really hope to work toward being a regular runner. I could always use more friends as inspirations as I am just getting started. Please feel free to friend me if you would.

Thanks,
    Danny
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I work out around 4.30am from Monday to Saturday.
    For motivation, I have the INSANITY calendar to keep me motivated. Doing the "X" every time I completed something is a great feeling.

I used to workout after I come home from work but then I realize I am too tired to workout after work hours. So I switch to sleeping early (10pm) and wake up early (4am).

To kick myself off the bed, I drink some pre-workout mix and caffeine. It helps me to get going. I also learned that if I eat before I workout, I have less energy. =D

It's been more than a month that I do such regime and it has been great! We can keep each other motivated too.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I got up and get it done at 4am this morning! Thanks for the motivation!