How do you know when to stop?

Options
I started this journey at 145. I'm about 5'5. My initial goal was 135 pounds. I'm now at 129. I'm okay with losing a few more pounds, but I know eventually I'm going to have to stop trying to lose and start to maintain. I think I'm scared that I won't be able maintain so after I reach my goal I keep making a new one. Has anyone else reached their goal and was scared of gaining back the weight so they keep losing more? For some reason I think that maintaining the weight will be harder than losing it!

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Thoughts like this can be overwhelming.
    You should now try to change your focus to maintaining - use your fitness as a place to set goals....try to run faster, longer, include weight training and try to increase how much you lift or squat. You can still set goals, just maybe shift the focus from losing to living a great maintenence life and increasing your overall fitness?

Just a thought.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
  • wendrobn
    wendrobn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks psych101. That is a really good suggestion. I have been focused way more on the food side than the exercise part :)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Great question. I am 1 pound away from my original goal of 125 and I changed it to 123. I was thinking about posting the same question......
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yep, I can relate. I started at 165, and reached my goal of 145, then lost another 3-5 lbs. I'm now 142. I felt the same way. Almost like using more weight loss as insurance against weight gain. But at. 142, it's like my body said "you are done!" I have managed to stay between 140 and 144 for many months by weighing in regularly, eating the way I learned to eat by logging and exercising. Truthfully, I don't log much anymore because I feel like after months of logging and paying attention, I truly changed my habits. I am happy at this weight, and focus more on exercise and fitness.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks psych101. That is a really good suggestion. I have been focused way more on the food side than the exercise part :)

I don't mean this as crappily as I'm going to word it so please bear with me:

Why would you care about the number on the scale, especially considering you are already relatively "fit". At least, you are not overweight.

You should really look in the mirror without much in the way of clothing. REALLY look at it. See what you think. See what you want to improve and do it. In your case, looking at the scale isn't going to matter that much at this point.
  • wendrobn
    wendrobn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't mean this as crappily as I'm going to word it so please bear with me:

Why would you care about the number on the scale, especially considering you are already relatively "fit". At least, you are not overweight.

You should really look in the mirror without much in the way of clothing. REALLY look at it. See what you think. See what you want to improve and do it. In your case, looking at the scale isn't going to matter that much at this point.
    [/quote]

You're right. But it's funny, I see more changes in pictures than I do in the mirror. I do need to focus more on toning and gaining strength. I walk at work and climb the stairs (roughly 5 flights). I think setting exercise goals is a good way to overcome this fear of gaining the weight back.