Which one do I trust? Help

Options
Hi all, just got back from the gym. Today was the first time I used my sigma pc9 heart rate monitor. I wanted to compare the reading of calories burned between my watch/chest strap and the elliptical machine at the gym. Well, I must say there was a pretty big difference between the two, the elliptical read that I burned around 360 calories and my sigma recorded that I burned around 551 in a 40 minute work out. Both devices were set to my age and weight. Which one do I trust? I don't want to cheat myself.

Replies

• Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I would believe the one that was strapped onto you that determined it by your heart rate.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The monitor - the machines are generic and I usually burn 100 calories less than what they say on my monitor. Also depends on the work out and the intensity.
  • Robina37
    Options
    Maybe average it out... if it was 40 mins vigorous exercise I think the higher number makes more sense :) but it also varies from person to person you know your body :) I would average it.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I would say the one that's strapped to you however, I've learned to stop relying on gadgets and go by how I feel. Do I feel like I worked as hard as I could. Yep. Good enough for me then. The trick here is to be honest with yourself and have the drive to make yourself push.

Good luck!
  • Robina37
    Options
    Good to know :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    has to be the HRM thats strapped to you and calculating your exercise based on your age,height and heart rate..otherwise what's the point in investing in one?
  • BobDierk
    Options
    Assume the lower number is right and you'll get in shape faster. If you assume the higher number and it's not right, you may not meet your weight goals.
  • kjporter83
    kjporter83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I go by my HRM, it will usually stay pretty even with the treadmill until I start running. Once my heart rate increases then there is a discrepancy.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    What was your average heart rate and what is your height/weight?
  • Juliealittle
    Juliealittle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've always heard not to trust the machines at the gym....they just aren't accurate.
  • bmstxcc
    Options
    @Dopeitup.....my average heart rate was 165. I did noticed my heart rate on the machine and my watch were matching up the same. I am 5'4 weighing at 215.

Thanks to everyone for replying, very much appreciated!!!! - Bernadette
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My HRM always shows I burned less than the machines... usually by 100+
    I would go for an average between the two.