Which one do I trust? Help

Hi all, just got back from the gym. Today was the first time I used my sigma pc9 heart rate monitor. I wanted to compare the reading of calories burned between my watch/chest strap and the elliptical machine at the gym. Well, I must say there was a pretty big difference between the two, the elliptical read that I burned around 360 calories and my sigma recorded that I burned around 551 in a 40 minute work out. Both devices were set to my age and weight. Which one do I trust? I don't want to cheat myself.

Replies

• Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    I would believe the one that was strapped onto you that determined it by your heart rate.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    The monitor - the machines are generic and I usually burn 100 calories less than what they say on my monitor. Also depends on the work out and the intensity.
  • Maybe average it out... if it was 40 mins vigorous exercise I think the higher number makes more sense :) but it also varies from person to person you know your body :) I would average it.
  • I would say the one that's strapped to you however, I've learned to stop relying on gadgets and go by how I feel. Do I feel like I worked as hard as I could. Yep. Good enough for me then. The trick here is to be honest with yourself and have the drive to make yourself push.

Good luck!
  • Good to know :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    has to be the HRM thats strapped to you and calculating your exercise based on your age,height and heart rate..otherwise what's the point in investing in one?
  • Assume the lower number is right and you'll get in shape faster. If you assume the higher number and it's not right, you may not meet your weight goals.
  • kjporter83
    kjporter83 Posts: 21 Member
    I go by my HRM, it will usually stay pretty even with the treadmill until I start running. Once my heart rate increases then there is a discrepancy.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    What was your average heart rate and what is your height/weight?
  • Juliealittle
    Juliealittle Posts: 22 Member
    I've always heard not to trust the machines at the gym....they just aren't accurate.
  • @Dopeitup.....my average heart rate was 165. I did noticed my heart rate on the machine and my watch were matching up the same. I am 5'4 weighing at 215.

Thanks to everyone for replying, very much appreciated!!!! - Bernadette
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    My HRM always shows I burned less than the machines... usually by 100+
    I would go for an average between the two.