Starting Couch to 5K today!

Options

Replies

• kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    so I did the first day of week 2 tuesday, I'm going to try to do day 2 tonight. But running for 1:30 was not too hard for me either, so maybe I can do this!!
    We just booked a cruise for August 2013, i know its 2 years away, but its definately motivation to lose weight and get fit, lots of walking on cruises and I don't want to be out of breath just going down the hallway!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Three questions for those who have finished the program:
    1) Week 5 day 3 they randomly throw in a 20 min run!!:noway: This scares the crap out of me! I've read that you will be surprised what your body can do by this time but I have to say; it's intimidating! So, just wondering how everyone else did on this day?
    2) I've read about breathing properly. I feel like I have an issue with this. Any tips?
    3) I want to do some exercising on my 'off' days but certainly not too much this early in the program. I was thinking some strength training but with a decent calorie burn? Any ideas?

1) I wasn't looking forward to the 20 minute run...but it was fine, I found it easier than the 2 x 8 minute runs on the day before (no really!). I think because you don't have the hassle of slowing down and then speeding up again.
    2) No idea, just don't forget to do it! I find I huff and puff a bit on hills but it soon straightens itself out when I'm on the flat without me thinking about it.
    3) I'm doing 30-day shred which is easy to fit in and sort of fun if you like being shouted at by Jillian Michaels. I find talking back to her cheers me up tremendously. I burn 158 calories in 20 mins as it counts as circuit training.

For those of you in the UK, I've started doing parkrun each Saturday which is really good fun, free 5k runs in parks all over the country and a lovely atmosphere.
  • Yary2931
    Yary2931 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am not a runner, however always wanted too.... Never tried the program and would love more information. I want to start on a treadmill. Any information on this, along with recommended speeds, etc would be great. If you are in the same situation as me and would love for us to motivate each other, feel free to friend me.

Thanks!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am not a runner, however always wanted too.... Never tried the program and would love more information. I want to start on a treadmill. Any information on this, along with recommended speeds, etc would be great. If you are in the same situation as me and would love for us to motivate each other, feel free to friend me.

Thanks!

Hi there! GIRL !! I live in Willoughby!! We are like 30 min from each other!! hahahahaha

If you have a smart phone then download any C5K program and just start...It tells you what to do and when to do it. VERY easy, it starts you out slowly. If you've been working out or walking you will find it easier than you think. On the treadmill do an incline of 1.5-2 which ever is comfortable. Start out on whatever speed you are comfortable with as well. I do recommend doing at least 1 day outside every week....it's different outside, you are actually moving your body forward. For me the treadmill is awful because I can't really relax, I'm always fearful of falling and giving myself a concussion!! ha aha ha And I find it terrible boring just staring at a wall or whatever. If you have a park nearby with trails try that. !!

I could never run but always wanted to..On Sunday I ran 5 MILES! for the very first time and it was EASY!!!!! I have my first 5K on Sunday!

Please feel free to friend me...and Good Luck!!!

~Dawn
  • conchita962
    Options
    THE MOST AMAZING THING HAPPENED TODAY.....

Today, after 9 weeks of 'training' I ran my first 5K !!

I had been a bundle of nerves since last night. I didn't know what to expect and didn't know how I was going to do. Went to bed last night thinking "OMG it's really here..no joke...NOW it's time." I woke up at 6 am (race starts at 8am) Met my best girlies who were running with me. We get to the site and get our numbers. WOW I gotta number!! And I'm nervous.."what if I have to pee? or worse??" Meds that I am on give me terrible dry mouth..i was worried. And not to mention it is FREAKING COLD!!
    So i kinda do a little warm up-ish..and next thing ya know it's time to go!!

I started out quick and almost regretted it..my heart was pounding, my breathing was crazy. I thought I would get it under control soon. So I kept telling myself.."i'm gonna settle down.." I didn't. UGH! I'd never ran in cold air before and lemme tell ya it was a HUGE difference and I was scared. The whole time I couldn't catch my breath...I was thinking all kinds of things. I was a bundle of nerves..I hadn't eaten breakfast and I can't breath...i can't settle down..OMG! I just wanna finish..that's it I don't care how slow I am going. I FELT like I was going slow...There was a guy shouting out times "10:45". But my inexperience didn't know what it meant!! DUH! I saw a sign that said '2nd mile'. I thought "Holy crap-balls I've only went a mile??" Thought I was gonna die. Then a man shouts another time "22:45". So I'm like okay I'm really going fricking slow..but that's okay..just finish...don't walk. So I actually see where I am and realize it's not too much farther..good okay...Then my friend, Helen, who was running her first race comes right up beside me and says.."Let's do this"..WELL, that was the crazy insane psychotic push I needed and I moved..we ran together.
    Now I can see the finish line and my 2 other friends clapping and yelling..WOW..

THEN...I see the time clock !!!!! 35:20!!!!!!! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! I DID NOT SUCK!! I was NOT going slow!
    I immediately gush a thousand tears...So damn proud of me..I was sucking air and crying and my chest was pounding with pride that I have never ever felt in my life. (other than having a beautiful daughter). And I have people hugging me telling me I'm awesome and I felt awesome.. I'm 42 yrs old..I'm your average girl..nothing too special, nothing too unspecial..Until today..

Today I learned many many things..

1- When the guy is shouting out times it means that's where the hell you are pace wise..I have never run a 10:45 mile!!!!
    2- When you see "2nd mile" you are DONE with the 2nd mile...22:45 pretty damn awesome.
    3-Don't ever ever ever tell yourself "I suck" you might be pleasantly surprised.
    4-Wear something over your mouth in cold weather.
    5-Warm up at least 10 min before a short race.
    6-I can do anything...anywhere...anytime if I want it bad enough.

Sorry for the long post...Maybe you'll get the message here. Don't quit and BE GOOD TO YOURSELF!
    Keep moving everyone..Find people to run with. and Have Fun!

Thank you for reading...

Dawn..A runner
  • kel9680
    Options
    THE MOST AMAZING THING HAPPENED TODAY.....

Today, after 9 weeks of 'training' I ran my first 5K !!

I had been a bundle of nerves since last night. I didn't know what to expect and didn't know how I was going to do. Went to bed last night thinking "OMG it's really here..no joke...NOW it's time." I woke up at 6 am (race starts at 8am) Met my best girlies who were running with me. We get to the site and get our numbers. WOW I gotta number!! And I'm nervous.."what if I have to pee? or worse??" Meds that I am on give me terrible dry mouth..i was worried. And not to mention it is FREAKING COLD!!
    So i kinda do a little warm up-ish..and next thing ya know it's time to go!!

I started out quick and almost regretted it..my heart was pounding, my breathing was crazy. I thought I would get it under control soon. So I kept telling myself.."i'm gonna settle down.." I didn't. UGH! I'd never ran in cold air before and lemme tell ya it was a HUGE difference and I was scared. The whole time I couldn't catch my breath...I was thinking all kinds of things. I was a bundle of nerves..I hadn't eaten breakfast and I can't breath...i can't settle down..OMG! I just wanna finish..that's it I don't care how slow I am going. I FELT like I was going slow...There was a guy shouting out times "10:45". But my inexperience didn't know what it meant!! DUH! I saw a sign that said '2nd mile'. I thought "Holy crap-balls I've only went a mile??" Thought I was gonna die. Then a man shouts another time "22:45". So I'm like okay I'm really going fricking slow..but that's okay..just finish...don't walk. So I actually see where I am and realize it's not too much farther..good okay...Then my friend, Helen, who was running her first race comes right up beside me and says.."Let's do this"..WELL, that was the crazy insane psychotic push I needed and I moved..we ran together.
    Now I can see the finish line and my 2 other friends clapping and yelling..WOW..

THEN...I see the time clock !!!!! 35:20!!!!!!! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!! I DID NOT SUCK!! I was NOT going slow!
    I immediately gush a thousand tears...So damn proud of me..I was sucking air and crying and my chest was pounding with pride that I have never ever felt in my life. (other than having a beautiful daughter). And I have people hugging me telling me I'm awesome and I felt awesome.. I'm 42 yrs old..I'm your average girl..nothing too special, nothing too unspecial..Until today..

Today I learned many many things..

1- When the guy is shouting out times it means that's where the hell you are pace wise..I have never run a 10:45 mile!!!!
    2- When you see "2nd mile" you are DONE with the 2nd mile...22:45 pretty damn awesome.
    3-Don't ever ever ever tell yourself "I suck" you might be pleasantly surprised.
    4-Wear something over your mouth in cold weather.
    5-Warm up at least 10 min before a short race.
    6-I can do anything...anywhere...anytime if I want it bad enough.

Sorry for the long post...Maybe you'll get the message here. Don't quit and BE GOOD TO YOURSELF!
    Keep moving everyone..Find people to run with. and Have Fun!

Thank you for reading...

Dawn..A runner

Awesome!! Congrats on your 5K! I'm no where near there yet, but hope to be someday! I'm gonna look for one for the spring when it starts to get warmer, i just don't like the cold anyway, really don't want to run in it! lol
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Dawn, Thanks so much for the posts - those are great! I've been trying to improve my breathing as I tend to get a side stitch and i see it's from breathing too shallow. It's been a lot better than I expected.

I finished Week 3, Day 1 today - Ran 3 minutes at a time. I really didn't think I'd be able to, but it was a lot easier than I expected! I'm starting to think this might be possible!

I also downloaded the runkeeper app - looks great! thanks for the info, everybody.
  • conchita962
    Options
    Dawn, Thanks so much for the posts - those are great! I've been trying to improve my breathing as I tend to get a side stitch and i see it's from breathing too shallow. It's been a lot better than I expected.

I finished Week 3, Day 1 today - Ran 3 minutes at a time. I really didn't think I'd be able to, but it was a lot easier than I expected! I'm starting to think this might be possible!

I also downloaded the runkeeper app - looks great! thanks for the info, everybody.

Good for you! I promise if you keep doing it..you will be running longer than you've would have imagined! Once you start running more you'll find it easier because you'll be warmed up and your heart rate and breathing will settle down. I know it sounds weird but the first time i ran 5 miles I was shocked that after I was warm (about 1.5 miles in) it was more relaxing and i could enjoy myself.

Keep on runnin'!!!!
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am feeling so down! I am LOVING doing the C25K and really look forward to the days when I can go out for my 'run'. I'm only on week 2 (taking it slow) but thought I'd do one more day and then attempt week 3. But... I have developed plantar faciitis (sp?)! It really is very painful, and it seems that the best thing that I can do is rest it! Apparently, walking/running is one of the worst things I could be doing and I must stop. Seriously, I feel like crying!

I do not want to end up going back to week 1! And I do not want to stop this cardio exercise (I should be able to continue with my yoga and pilates)! Argggggh! Sob sob...
  • NB_Eric
    Options
    Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that Yase, I suffered thru that a few years ago and I feel your pain, it is horrible :( Do you have access to a pool? If you could do cardio exercises in water it greatly reduces the strain on everything and you still get a wonderful cardio workout!
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks Eric, that's a great idea! There is a pool near here, but it has a funny schedule and I'm not sure of the times it is open to the public for swimming. I must check it out as soon as possible!
  • kel9680
    Options
    Ugh! I'm so frustrated today! I was getting ready to do my last day of week 2, literally, getting ready!! I was getting dressed to go run, just got home from work, was taking off my shoes from work and pulled out my back!! Seriously, who pulls their back taking off shoes!! so it hurts so bad there was no way I could run without totally injuring myself! I've done it before so hopefully in a few days i'll be back to new! so now here I sit with a lidocane patch and ibprofun!!

Ok sorry just had to vent about that!!
  • conchita962
    Options
    Ugh! I'm so frustrated today! I was getting ready to do my last day of week 2, literally, getting ready!! I was getting dressed to go run, just got home from work, was taking off my shoes from work and pulled out my back!! Seriously, who pulls their back taking off shoes!! so it hurts so bad there was no way I could run without totally injuring myself! I've done it before so hopefully in a few days i'll be back to new! so now here I sit with a lidocane patch and ibprofun!!

Ok sorry just had to vent about that!!

I know your frustrated ! I would be too. Take the time to do some lower leg exercises if you can, for shins and calves, etc. Do stretches. Take it easy and you'll be back in no time!!!

Hope you get better real soon!
  • Christi6604
    Options
    I just completed Week 4, Day 1! It was the easiest one yet, I can't believe it. It was the first one that I've done on the treadmill and I was not looking forward to it, but it was great. I'm wondering if I found it so much easier to breathe, etc. because of the treadmill instead of outdoors or another factor?
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i am on week 4 day 3 today, i cant believe im running 5 minutes non stop...never thoughti would especially uphill and in the cold! xxx
  • rheiah
    rheiah Posts: 84
    Options
    I have always hated running & avoided the treadmill at the gym but recently made a decision to start running.

I'm now on week 2, run 2 & absolutely loving it! I can't wait to move on and on and on...

I do my runs on the treadmill though, not outdoors, as I find it easier to control my pace and combine the run with weight training.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I started this last week, skipped week 1 as I am quite fit already and it would have been too simple for me.

On week 3 now but I change it up a tiny bit. Like run 2mins30 instead of 1min30 etc.

Love it. Run on a treadmill in the gym and I do the rest of my programme before and after it. Takes me a few mins to get into it but once I do, I find my groove and keep going. I used to run years ago so I can slip back into it fine. Roll on week 4!
  • conchita962
    Options
    I just completed Week 4, Day 1! It was the easiest one yet, I can't believe it. It was the first one that I've done on the treadmill and I was not looking forward to it, but it was great. I'm wondering if I found it so much easier to breathe, etc. because of the treadmill instead of outdoors or another factor?

Actually...the longer you run the easier it gets! Your body finally gets a chance to warm up, your heart rate and breathing settles! Now is when it gets good!

Keep going!

~Dawn
  • Christi6604
    Options
    Thanks! It was actually *gasp* fun! I couldn't believe it. :)

Actually...the longer you run the easier it gets! Your body finally gets a chance to warm up, your heart rate and breathing settles! Now is when it gets good!

Keep going!

~Dawn
  • Christi6604
    Options
    Disappointed. After my highly successful day the other day, I thought I'd have it made today.

I ran outside again instead of the treadmill and I couldn't quite finish the last part. I had to stop two minutes short. I had a really hard time breathing. :-( I wish I knew what the factor was...the cold air? the terrain vs. the treadmill? was the speed significantly different? I just don't know. I guess I'll just repeat this week until I can nail it. Definitely not giving up....but disappointed. I had really thought I'd turned a corner.
    Thanks! It was actually *gasp* fun! I couldn't believe it. :)

Keep going!

~Dawn