New Mom Breast feeding trying too lose weight

Options
:smile: Hi everyone im ne here on fitness pal, i recently had a baby and am trying to get back in shape any pointers? Also how do i *kitten* to my accountthat im breastfeeding so that my calories to take in per day will be counted and changed? thanks in advance for help blessings to u all on ur weight loss journeys

Replies

• jnissi
    jnissi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First of all, hooray for you for choosing to breastfeed. Breastfeeding burns an additional 500-600 calories per day! So, that is wonderful. I am not sure that this site has a breastfeeding element, but I am newer. Maybe you could just choose an exercise that equals that amount per day. Losing weight while breast feeding is quite possible, but do make sure that you eat enough to maintain your supply. :) Good Luck and welcome to MFP! :)
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    dont cut down too much on cals while your breastfeeding. 2000 a day is recommended by midwives, you need to be eating the right foods too..bubs needs it :) breast feeding alone burns through the cals so thats a bonus! and dont do too much vigorous exercise, it can also affect your milk supply. i went through this not long ago and couldnt supply enough milk for my baby as i was eating too little and exercising too much!! :(
  • Ritala1987
    Ritala1987 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    well thats what midwives in nz recommend..maybe ask yours? :)
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) Fellow breastfeeding mom here. When I first started on this site I used a -500 cal, now that my baby is starting on some solids i'm doing -300. You set up your account like normal but every day you add "breastfeeding" like you do a food. I just add it in with my breakfast. Just look in the database and theres a few options. If your baby is under 6 months make sure you're doing the 500. Feel free to add me or check out my diary. :flowerforyou:
  • LeihaS
    LeihaS Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    search "breastfeeding" in the food data base- i usually add mine to snacks (the total for the day)

you can choose the 500 cal (average) option or you can do it by oz. which I feel is more accurate.

congrats on your baby! :)

I had my second baby 8/19!
  • raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    and dont do too much vigorous exercise, it can also affect your milk supply. i went through this not long ago and couldnt supply enough milk for my baby as i was eating too little and exercising too much!! :(

Exercising is fine as long as you eat back ALL of your exercise calories. The problem with exersising is that if you don't eat them back your net will be wayyyy low and you wont be able to keep your supply up. It's all about your net calories.
  • chewhi
    Options
    Hi! I'm new here too and to tell you the truth, had no plans whatsoever to get involved in the message boards and such. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to maintain the food and exercise log BUT I happened to see your post in the sidebar and I'm a CLC so, of course, am interested. :smile:

You may have to make an original entry to get breastfeeding included in the "exercise" section... I went to the exercise search and did not see it already listed to choose from.

Here are a couple of good links to check out on the subject of breastfeeding and dieting....
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-calories-fluids.html

kellymom.com is one of the most trusted breastfeeding sites on-line. Hope this helps!
  • yes breast feeding takes determination it was truly a challenge in the begining it has gotten a lot better now that she is 3 months, sorry for all the typos and thank u
  • oh wow ok thanks for the tips i definitely dont want my suppl to decrease
  • thank u for the kellymom site gonna look into it asap
  • thank u all for responding you all gave me info i had no clue about