I need some advice...

Options
Okay, so here's my situation. My weight was at an average of 171-172 lbs in June of 2011. In the beginning of July I decided to truly commit and got a gym membership. I was working out for about 5-6 weeks
(5 times a week) and saw close to none weight loss (maybe a pound or two). During that time, I was doing strength and cardio workouts. I would do weights two days and cardio 3 days in a week and then reverse it the next week. At some point, I decided to drop strength training entirely. My weight went down to around 165 between mid-September through end of October. I was thrilled!
Here are some recent problems - I've been 165 for the whole last week and felt comfortable at this weight. I had quote a bit of food over the last weekend, probably around 2000-2500 kcal a day. Stepped on the scale on Tuesday and saw 166.6 - devastating... and I know, it's silly, but the number on the scale does dictate my mood. I wish it didn't but I still have a lot to learn. Yesterday and today I've felt "blobby", I feel like I don't get my heart rate high enough on the Cybex cardio machine (but still burn about 500 kcal and work out 4 times a week), and also I feel that my snacking is back in full force. For a while, I was able to say no to mindless eating that didn't satisfy hunger, but I feel like it's back as of the last week and a half... I am at a really rough point. And going back to the blobby feeling, I was considering adding some of the strength training to my workouts, but I am not sure whether I am ready for it. The reason for it being, if I gain or don't lose weight for a long period of time I know I will be discouraged and unhappy. So maybe I should just push for the cardio and concentrate on toning once I reach my goal of 150 lbs? I'm really not sure what ot think... I tend to eat around 2000 kcal a day on average (my diary is open) - I know what healthy foods are, I just don't always eat them... I often eat something and right after I didn't feel like I "consumed food", just made motions with my moth... if that makes any sense. Also, to add to this awful vent, I went to see a dietician at the end of September and seemed to be instantly motivated and dropped weight jsut days after. She calculated my BMR at 1410... she also told me to only eat back the 1410 kcal - 1530 kcal in a day, and not eat back workout calories. I have read people say often on this forum that eating the calories back is recommended... not sure what is ideal for me. Either way, many questions and struggles here, but I appreciate all comments and help from all you experienced peeps.

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If you start lifting now, then you will look much better at your goal weight. If you cut out strength training completely you are likely to turn into a skinny fat, and have more muscle break down - not so attractive!
  • klkoehn
    Options
    It's not about weight. It's about health. Get back into the strength training, watch your calories and the weight will follow.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you start lifting now, then you will look much better at your goal weight. If you cut out strength training completely you are likely to turn into a skinny fat, and have more muscle break down - not so attractive!

That's probably a good idea.... :) I just hope the weight keeps coming off if I do that, otherwise I tend to be hard on myself :(
  • tarabell88
    Options
    Before I go into my advice for you I will let you know a little about where I have come from. In April this year I was at my heaviest and most depressed, just went through a horrible breakup and instead of dwelling on the past I took advantage of where I work (I work at a huge athletic club) Since April I have lost 40lbs. I did it in a healthy way to not lose more then 2lbs a week, and I have officially changed my lifestyle to a new and improved me. I have spent all my time researching and talking to the trainer as my club to get as knowledgeable as I can get. With that said:
    My advice to you is to NOT cut out strength training. You should be doing cardio at least 5 times a week and adding on strength training 3 times a week. Now what I am not sure what your cardio workouts consist of, but to let you know what I do is a lot of interval training. Here is a sample of a workout that I love to do,

4 Rounds:
    Run 400m
    20 Kettle bell swings
    10 pull ups
    10 incline push ups
    10 dips
    10 weighted sit ups

Look up cross fit workouts if you have not yet looked into them. They are amazing workouts that will give you FULL body strength training/cardio workout. Also if you are afraid of the strength training...add some pilates to your workout...that will lengthen your muscles and elongate your whole body.

Now workout is obviously not a whole part of weight loss. What we eat is soo critical. I see myself struggle with this EVERYDAY still. But I do know if you want to loose weight then you have to cut out 500 cal. out of your total allowed calories per day. so if you are eating about 1500 a day (which is what i do) then say I work out and burn 600 cal. allowing me to have 2100 calories. I will still only allow myself 1600 to cut out that extra 500 cal.

I am still working on being the best me and where I am comfortable at. But I find my inspiration in helping other people to. So I hope I have helped or have given you better ideas. You can always contact me if you need a friend or advice :) GOOD LUCK!!
  • anitam1987
    Options
    Before I go into my advice for you I will let you know a little about where I have come from. In April this year I was at my heaviest and most depressed, just went through a horrible breakup and instead of dwelling on the past I took advantage of where I work (I work at a huge athletic club) Since April I have lost 40lbs. I did it in a healthy way to not lose more then 2lbs a week, and I have officially changed my lifestyle to a new and improved me. I have spent all my time researching and talking to the trainer as my club to get as knowledgeable as I can get. With that said:
    My advice to you is to NOT cut out strength training. You should be doing cardio at least 5 times a week and adding on strength training 3 times a week. Now what I am not sure what your cardio workouts consist of, but to let you know what I do is a lot of interval training. Here is a sample of a workout that I love to do,

4 Rounds:
    Run 400m
    20 Kettle bell swings
    10 pull ups
    10 incline push ups
    10 dips
    10 weighted sit ups

Look up cross fit workouts if you have not yet looked into them. They are amazing workouts that will give you FULL body strength training/cardio workout. Also if you are afraid of the strength training...add some pilates to your workout...that will lengthen your muscles and elongate your whole body.

Now workout is obviously not a whole part of weight loss. What we eat is soo critical. I see myself struggle with this EVERYDAY still. But I do know if you want to loose weight then you have to cut out 500 cal. out of your total allowed calories per day. so if you are eating about 1500 a day (which is what i do) then say I work out and burn 600 cal. allowing me to have 2100 calories. I will still only allow myself 1600 to cut out that extra 500 cal.

I am still working on being the best me and where I am comfortable at. But I find my inspiration in helping other people to. So I hope I have helped or have given you better ideas. You can always contact me if you need a friend or advice :) GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you, that is very helpful and encouraging. I have tried crossfit before and have actually really enjoyed doing it, only did it for 3 weeks (groupon special in December 2010). I think you are right, I might have to up my intensity and do more of an all-around workout. Right now I get on a cybex (elliptical-like) type of machine 4 times a week for 50 minutes, I burn around 480-500 kcal per session.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

That's probably a good idea.... :) I just hope the weight keeps coming off if I do that, otherwise I tend to be hard on myself :(

The fat will come off :]

remember its 80% diet and 20% exercise. You don't have to eat that healthy to lose weight, work on portion control for now and staying under your calories :D
  • tarabell88
    Options
    If you go online you can look up different cross fit workouts. (If it looks impossible, change the numbers to work for your fitness level) Or if you have a smart phone there is an app for crossfit workouts. And always tricking your body by changing up your workouts will make the weight just fall off :) I never try to do the same cardio in they same week or if I do I change how I do it. but doing intervals of say...running for 2 mins regular pace, 2 mins sprint. You will see results. Promise :) and just dont "cheat" on your food. Ha but certainly don't deprive yourself of things you like. Otherwise It will never stay off! and you are still happy.

If you can find someone to workout with like a friend or someone who is wanting the same thing you are at the gym. Workout together. You will get your competitive nature out as well as you inspire each other to keep going and not cheat on your workout. Its the best thing I have found. Me doing a workout by myself...forget it! will never be as tough as when I workout with a buddy.
  • anitam1987
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the great advice :) feeling ready to hit the gym first thing in the morning!!!