Hello from A Full Time Student who also works Full Time!!!

Options
Hi, everyone, My name is Banks and I just started using the MFP app couple of days ago. I started using it because I received a call from my doctor,after a blood test that my triglycerides level is high and that my weight 185 for my height 5'8 is not healthy and I need to change my diet ASAP, so here I am doing something about it. It's so hard to watch what you eat because all the healthy stuff is so overpriced. I am going to be doing my own research on healthy and affordable recipes, but I am reaching out to you guys, my community now. I will appreciate any tips and advice you guys have to keep me going on a healthier path. Thank you.

Replies

• AshCol25
    AshCol25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! I am also a full time student ans work full time. It is difficult to maintain a healthly lifestyle as well as fit in workouts, but it can be done. SO DON'T GIVE UP!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I dunno how you guys do it! Full time student athlete about has me dying xD
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I feel for you, I have a career and am in an after hours full time masters program, also have 4 kids... its a handful. Good luck with your efforts, lots of folks here willing to help out, myself included. My doctor was envious of my last labs, that was a awesome feeling :) You can do it...but nothing great will be easy...reward is definitively a result of effort...and its easier with friends! Feel free to add me!
  • klynn22091
    klynn22091 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Celery and carrots are cheap and very few calories, also yogurt and oatmeal are great!!! I am a full time student and work full time as well you can do it!!!
  • Soulwriter
    Soulwriter Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of things with mixing soup and rice or soup and noodles especially soups like cream of chicken or cream of broccoli or things like that, I keep a bucket full of rice after you buy it its not that expensive and soup is really cheap, tonight i made rice with cream of chicken soup over it with chicken in it, it was really good its really not too hard to do it healthy and cheaper you just have to know how, I can give you more ideas if you wish :)
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi Banks! Feel free to add me if you'd like some support :)

My favorite nutritional website is skinnytaste.com, she is constantly updating her recipes - they are all healthy versions of the real thing. Even my EXTREMELY picky husband loves the recipes that I have made from her site!

As far as "affordability" --- I have found it is actually less expensive to buy the healthy foods, because you eat them! When we were buying processed, boxed, frozen... stuff would sit in our fridge for months while we continued to do more grocery shopping because we "had nothing to eat!" You will find that its not too expensive if you find veggies that you like, and simple homemade side dishes to replace the boxed goods. Now, I still buy some of those because I like them and sometimes ya just need a quick and easy dinner. So, its just important to keep those things in moderation!

You'll do just fine, MFP is awesome and has been a wonderful support for my weight loss! It becomes a little addicting at times too, because its this whole community of people all striving for the same things! Soooo, welcome!