November Sugar Detox

Options
I try to eat as clean as possible and I truly believe sugar is one of the worst and most addictive toxins we put into our body. I follow The Gracious Pantry's blog (http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/) and she is starting a 2 week No Sugar Challenge for her followers. I know my weight loss, appetite, mood and motivation are directly affected by the amount of sugar I eat. I thought it would be a great motivation to have a sugar detox support thread. For me, I plan on giving up sugar (in any form), white flour/bread, wheat and limiting my fruit (which will be the hardest). Although, I'm non-Celiac, I am gluten sensitive. If you have never given up sugar, please keep in mind the first 3 days can be very difficult depending on your level of addiction. In the past, I have found lots of cold water and peppermint tea helps with the headaches and gets me through the cravings. With that said, it is not uncommon for me to lose a lot of weight, and gain amazing energy. Please let me know if you like to take a crack and ridding your body of sugar! Good luck.

Replies

• JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Im IN!! the fruit is gonna be hard but im gonna give it my best shot!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    What makes you feel that it's a healthy choice to cut fruit from your diet?
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    What makes you feel that it's a healthy choice to cut fruit from your diet?

I have the same question. Why do we keep seeing sugar as evil? Glucose is the brain's fuel... I understand cutting processed sugars and stuff like that, but fruits? milk? hmmm not for me.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I will not be cutting all fruit from my diet but I eat a lot of fruit (4 to 7 servings a day) so I will be "trying" to cut back to 2 servings. Although very nutritious, fruit has a lot of natural sugar and that sugar can induce sugar cravings. Please tailor to what suits you best. Trust me I realize fruit is very healthy for you.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Personally I go way over in sugar regularly, it's not stopped progress a bit. To each their own method I guess.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I like this idea for cutting out the sugar cubes I put in my coffee/tea. I'm actually trying to incorporate more fruits into my diet, so I'm probably going to just try and cut out all the added sugar I really don't need.

L.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'll follow along for the 2 weeks. I detoxed myself from sugar about 3 months ago. Extra support/information is always appreciated. No sugar added peanut butter was my saving grace over cravings for the 1st 3 days. My weight loss doubled after detox.

When I stay away from sugar, I do not crave foods in the same way. I do not feel compelled to eat from the candy bowl or that second serving of whatever I am eating just because it tastes good, even though my stomach is full. I can plan ahead meals and stick to them. I eat 2-3 servings of fruit daily and can eat starchy grains/veggies without triggering my cravings.

Most of what I learned was through trial and error and listening to my body. I know when I screw up with the sugar (usually a source I had not considered), or a "trial' by adding a source back in). I wake up with a hangover the next morning, if feels just as if I consumed too much ETOH the night before.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm in!
  • sinclare
    Options
    also she encourages eating fruit daily. Here's the rules: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eaters-no-sugar-challenge/
  • sinclare
    Options
    also she encourages eating fruit daily. Here's the rules: http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eaters-no-sugar-challenge/
  • Howbouto
    Options
    So how did everyone do? I've had worse days but slipped a little on a pita at the Greek restuarant. Hopefully, it will be smooth sailing the rest of the day.
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Howbouto--glad to hear your first day went well. If you had to slip up, pita was a good choice to make.
    I hope everyone else had a good first day as well!

I started yesterday, it was hard, but I made it through. Today was a much better day for me. I had been getting slack the past few weeks about sugar sources, and my weight loss has also slacked. This is a great challenge to get me back into the plan before the holidays. I made a stew to eat over the next few days. I have clementines already...and they are the really good ones. That 5 pound bag doesn't stand a chance this week :smile: I tracked 85g of sugar today, but is is mostly yogurt, fruits and veggies. I forgot was I was giving up the power bar for a pre workout snack before spinning this morning, but so far my food craving is well under control. The power bar has natural sugar sources, but with the chocolate flavor, it can wind up triggering my cravings if I am not careful.
    Here's hoping day 2 goes well for everyone :drinker:
  • gjspiller
    gjspiller Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i'm in..i NEED THIS!

i did this a couple years back, just to detox and jumpstart weightloss, and it was definitely hard for 3 days, but after that so much energy, less drowsiness. i wasn't as hungry (no hunger pains like before), regulated blood sugar levels....of course, i eventually incorporated fruit and whole grain/brown rice, and still worked out, and managed to lose weight. but went back to old habits, and gained the weight back and then some.

then i found out i was diabetic, and it all made sense to me why eating low carb worked for me.

i'm going to start on the 2nd! great thread!!

g.

SW: 220
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Wahoo, I'm glad we're picking up support! Welcome all. Yesterday didn't end well, the hubby brought home pizza for dinner (he forgot I told him). But there's a saying fall down 7 times get up 8, so today is a new day. Here's to no sugar Tuesday! And I need to take peppermint tea to work (my craving buster)! What do you use for cravings?
  • sinclare
    Options
    last night I went out to dinner and my husband had a drink and I didn't! That never happens, lol. I didn't tell him exactly about the 2 week thing, but just said I was going without for a few days. I don't want to committ to him about it and then screw up and have him in my face about it! I drink tea, and am going to have to dig out some more varieties. also, I snacked yesterday on leftover cauliflower from the night before... sounds boring but it was just enough to keep me strong..

.the best thing for me when I have a craving is to look at the clock and wait for 5 minutes. Then, do it 5 more minutes. Have something else ready to munch on. The hardest part is planning and taking food with me all the time. A LOT of work!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the challenge. Is it to cut all sugar, wheat products and fruit from out diet. You mention both white processed grains and wheat, so I'm not sure if the "wheat" would include whole wheat, bulgar, etc.

I don't usually eat much sugar or bread, but I wouldn't want to cut wheat entirely from my diet and certainly not fruit/
  • Howbouto
    Options
    Sinclare- What a great NSV!!! I don't think I would be able to do the clock thing, I'm afraid it would make it worse.

Bcattoes- It is a no sugar challenge (added sugar/ white bread/white rice). Personally I'm trying to limit fruit (as I eat a lot of fruit) and wheat (as I mild allergy to same). For me its a personal thing for fruit and wheat, the main purpose of the thread is support for the sugar detoxing. The first time I sugar detoxed it was worse than quitting smoking. This time its not as bad as I was only "abusing" sugar for about 2 weeks. Sorry for the confusion.
  • gjspiller
    gjspiller Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    day one was not perfect but i stuck through it most of the time. so that's good. i just hope i don't mess up on dinner. i "accidentally" (LOL) ate a fun size snicker peanut square (never had one before...OMG so good...sorry, i digress) at my training today. but i forgive myself because i didn't eat the muffins and the orange juice displayed at the training (thumbs up).

for dinner, i'm still contemplating what to eat. i am getting hungry....i want to eat a big fresh salad with either shrimp or chicken..mmmmm.....

g.
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Great job today everyone
    Did pretty good yesterday. peanut butter (natural) , brushing teeth and a hard workout are tools I use to overcome food cravings. I am going to have to give the peppermint tea a whirl. The first time I detoxed from sugar, I thought I was going out of my mind. Every activity seemed to have an edge to it, my head pounded, and then the cravings...This time around has been much milder. I think the crud is finally catching up with me today (my allergies have been active for about 2 months now). When I get sick, my appetite decreases, however I want to eat what tastes good...which is usually the bad stuff. I must stay strong...
    I don't weight until Saturday, but I am already losing weight...a great feeling!
  • topaz23
    topaz23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Sugar is truly my downfall! for heavens sake I work at a cupcake shop!!!! But I need to stop with the sugar!! this is going to be very difficult but I am going to put in the effort! this is just what I need!