starting my weight loss journey

Options
I am beginning my weight loss journey and need ideas on what foods to eat, how many times i should eat: Here is my current food intake:

Breakfast: activa yogurt, oatmeal, 2 slices of chicken breast (from deli dept in grocery store)

Snack: Banana, seeds

2nd meal: whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter on it, and fruit

3rd meal: homemade grilled salad (with only lettuce, tomatoes, light salad dressin, crutons, cheese, and grilled chicken)

4th meal: ill have some baked fries and salad again

I know this needs major improvement any suggestions?!?!?!

Replies

• HelizabethWood
    Options
    i would say try to cut down on your meat (chicken) intake, its good to have it but mayb not in every meal, you could opt for Quorn chicken as a substitute as it has less calories and more protein. also i would stay away from penut butter!! its not as healthy as you might think, i must admit i do love the stuff. other than that, small meals throughout the day are the way to go, keeps you from getting hungry and makes you feel like your able to eat loads!

good luck :)
    xxx
  • Danielle2bfit
    Danielle2bfit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, but what is Quorn chicken?What would consider healthy snacks that you would recommend?
  • BenJoeM
    Options
    First of all - CONGRATS! Your journey will be amazing!

I have been on a long one myself, with plenty of ups and downs.

For snacks I would recommend an Apple and a lowfat or fatfree cheese stick. It is great balanced snack. You can get protein shakes as well for an occasional snack too. Myloplex Lite has some great snack bars. But all of these should be rotated. If youare going to go with the peanut butter, get the most All Natural one you can find. Don't get Skippy off of the shelf. Then limit the peanut butter to once a week or twice a month only. Also lowfat or fatfree yogurt and cottage cheese can be a good snack as well.

My family is very munchy, so we always have a relish tray in the house (with no dip). We can crunch on celery and carrots all day and they are mostly water. The calories you eat are burned just by chewing (well almost).
  • Danielle2bfit
    Options
    Hey Ben thanks so much for the encouragement. Yes, this will be a journey but a inspirational one to someone who will in my same shoes, once I have a testimony to tell. Thanks for the tips on snacks, I feel like i know these things but can't put them to use. Which is why I am going to try and do Weight Watchers, even though I hate to cook. How often should i rotate my meals?

Once again thanks for the encourage and tips!!! Just added you as a friend :)
  • BenJoeM
    Options
    I probably eat the Apple and Cheese stick thing everyweek since it is cheap, easy and no cooking necesary. But if you keep eating the same thing every week, three things will happen.

1. you get bored
    2. you want other things and will indulge (which is okay to do sometimes...I give my self a couple free days a month(
    3. your body will get used to the food and may start to store that new found food source in places you don't want it too.

So I would say every week try a new snack and find things you like.

Every week I try a new bar, a salad, or something to mix it up. Don't look at eating as chore, look at it as an adventure to try new things that will make you healthy. Weight Watchers will be a good foundation for you and if you buy their foods they have some great variety. I love to cook, but my wife doesn't so we we often have to find a balance. One of the things I do for lunches, is if we made a healthy dinner the night before, I immediatly take any left overs and put it in the fridge in ziplock bag. This is to avoid eating more that evening and making sure I have healthy lunch later in the week.

I am excited your are working to inspire others as well. That is why having friends here is important. One of my friends here didn't log on for 10 weeks. I sent her a message 2 days ago, and BOOM she is back! Posting her food diaries and joined a new gym.
  • Danielle2bfit
    Options
    Yes I love eating a apple and cheese! My favorite, weird, but it us! The one thing I don't want to do is let my body get to a plateau and I don't lose any weight. I did that when I worked with a trainer and didn't lose weight for about 4 weeks!!! talk about losing money and time!

A new salad..ummm now that would be the hard thing because I am not a big salad person I usually keep it simple all the time, but I can definitely switch up my snacks every week or every 2 weeks!

And I understand your wife's pain because I hate cooking or lack or better words, I don't know how to cook, mainly because its just me and im single, so its so much easier to eat something simple and on the go! But thanks again for the information Ben I really appreciate! I will definitely keep you up-to-date and possibly ask for tips, if you don't mind! Because again this is not going to be a easy journey.

By the way, do you workout at home or at a gym? I need to save money and I feel like a good workout dvd or Wii fitting game would do me so much justice. What do you think?