tape measure vs scales

Options
Hi
Can anyone explain to me how I have lost inches this month, but not seen much loss on the scales? I don't mind this, I have to say, but am curious as to how this happens.

Replies

• louisebear
    Options
    ur lossing inches rather than weight because ur gaining lean muscle!!! have u been exercsing more??
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Most likely you're toning your body and gaining muscle. Although a pound of muscle weighs as much as a pound of fat, they don't take up the same amount of space.
  • KrzyRiver
    KrzyRiver Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing strength training or lifting weights? You're toning up. Muscle is denser than fat. You won't see a change on the scale because you're building up muscle (or "gaining" muscle weight), but you're clothes will start to fit better because you are still burning fat and slimming down.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mussel weighs more then fat
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I assume you exercised throughout? then you most likely build muscles and they are heavier than fat, so you won't see it on the scales but you tone, hence smaller :)
  • ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Gained muscle....takes up less space than fat (lb for lb)...so can pack more in...therefore not much change on the scale but will look smaller
  • HealthyWayorNoWay
    HealthyWayorNoWay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When you burn fat and build heavier muscle, your weight may not change or even increase even though your body is tighter and smaller
  • ERAY13
    ERAY13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Muscle mass that you've built, water retention, etc.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/losinginches.htm
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi
    Can anyone explain to me how I have lost inches this month, but not seen much loss on the scales? I don't mind this, I have to say, but am curious as to how this happens.
    very simple muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less space. As you gain muscle or loss fat the scale might not change but you will lose inches
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    ok.. someone explained this to me once.. lets see if I have it right!

If you have been doing lots of exercise, even as fat starts breaking down, your body replaces it with water at first which also helps your muscles to heal.. you may notice your fat is more squidgy and looks 'lumpy', as the fat isn't as solid your measurements may be less.. when your body gets rid of the water.. the scales will go down and that area will then be smoother again (hopefully).

Something along those lines! . I'm sure a resident expert will come along to correct me if its wrong or explain it better!

.. but areas going 'squidgy' is basically good news as well as inches going down cos weight going down will follow! :laugh:
  • Tywana
    Tywana Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You are toning , loosing fat and gaining muscle. For ex: 5 pounds of cotton looks bigger that 5 lbs of chicken but non the less, 5lbs is 5 lbs. Muscle is more dense... Keep it up your doing it! :wink:
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    You are losing the fat in those areas but gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Inches lost are a wonderful thing! My weight has been hovering but I am seeing those inches diappear and fitting into smaller clothes. Keep up the good work!
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes Muscle takes less space than fat does:) SImple. Muscle weighs more so you don't really see a shift in the scale but you see a shift in the SIZE!!! WTG good for you
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    No idea. Maybe your bones got heavier. Just kidding. It is water weight or food in your belly plus scales go +/- 2 pounds.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The Truth About Your Weight

What does your weight say about you? If you think about it, that number doesn't tell you a whole lot. The scale shows your weight, but does it tell you how much of that weight is muscle and how much is fat? Or how much of that weight is water, bones or organs? A bodybuilder's weight could be off the charts because of extra muscle, but does that mean he's overweight or fat? Most of us would say no because we know that weight doesn't tell the whole story.

Knowing your body composition is crucial information if you really want to get results and, unfortunately, the scale doesn't tell you that. Another reason scale weight isn't so reliable is that it changes all the time. All of us experience weight changes throughout the day, sometimes by as much as 10 pounds depending on what and how often we eat and drink. You could gain weight right now by putting on a pair of heavy boots, but does that mean you've gained fat? No. Just as taking those boots off doesn't mean you've lost any fat.

While the scale isn't completely useless, it may not be the best tool for people just starting a fat loss program. If it doesn't help you stay on track and reach your goals, maybe it's time to throw out the scale for good.

Source: http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/losinginches.htm
  • leanne_maxdot
    leanne_maxdot Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You probably gained muscle. 5lbs of muscle takes up a LOT less space than 5lbs of fat.
    So your tape measure is telling you that you've lost inches/fat, where as the scales are telling you that you've gained muscle (or at least Lean Body Mass)
  • PBJunky
    PBJunky Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    You lost fat but gained muscle mass
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way... which weighs more: 1lbs of muscle or 1lbs of fat? They weigh the same. Muscle, however, is smaller. Therefore you may have traded a pound of fat for a pound of muscle therefore shrinking your measurements when you tape but not lowering the number on the scale. I prefer tape to the scale... I despise the scale because the numbers on it are either deceiving or capable of causing unhealthy tendencies.

Good luck :)
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training? Muscle is denser than fat so if you're replacing fat with muscle it'll take up less space and thusly you lose inches without losing weight. Good luck:)
  • inspiration345
    inspiration345 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's not that easy to build muscles so fast though. It takes a lot of work to build a pound of muscles and if you were not trying to build muscles by lifting weights and increasing calories then chances that you built new muscles are not too high. Some muscles do get built but you do not gain 5 pounds of muscles in a week.