Too Much Protein?

Options
Just a question concerning protein.

Wouldn't you gain weight if you put too much protein in your diet?

Replies

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you were eating more protein than your caloric allowance provided. :)

ETA:
    That said, if you were eating only protein and no fat and carbs, that wouldn't be a balanced diet. Of course, it would be pretty much impossible to have a protein-only diet.

But if you're eating 2000 calories per day, and you eat 150 grams of protein, 100 grams of carbs, and 50 grams of fat, then as long as you're under your daily caloric intake for the day, you won't gain weight due to the fact that you're eating proportionately more protein than fat or carbs. :)
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No and Yes. If you eating over your calories to gain the protein then Yes, if you just mean because your protein is in the red but every thing else is green then No
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You gain weight if you consume more calories than you take it. MFP sets the protein pretty low here. I suggest bumming it up. I eat 150-180 grams a day (30% of my calories), but I train heavy. I've been told to go for 1 gram of protein for every lb of lean mass.

So no, if you are under your calories, but over your protein you will not gain weight.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No and Yes. If you eating over your calories to gain the protein then Yes, if you just mean because your protein is in the red but every thing else is green then No

Correct. Your body can only absorb so much protein at one time. Too much and you just pass it.
  • CarolineBooth
    Options
    Not necessarily - it all depends on how much carbs you combine with that protein. The body struggles to process protein fully in the absence of carbs. However, getting a good ketone level on a test stick may not mean you are burning body fat but fat that has been eaten along with the protein. Short term it can be a way of breaking a habit of the sugar fix but long term it can be downright boring ;) Even if you add the veg, etc.
  • 8dozendiets
    Options
    In and of itself, no.

There are some great articles out there on protein and diet. Why don't you Google some? Just be wary of sources like Yahoo Answers and bulletin boards. Always go to reliable sites like WebMD or The Mayo Clinic.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my protein to around my goal weight. So for me, 150 grams a day protein and I limit my carbs to 125. works for me.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Correct. Your body can only absorb so much protein at one time. Too much and you just pass it.

However, the amounts necessary to have the above happen are beyond normal consumption amounts so this point isn't really relevant.
  • jacobhayes1
    Options
    Ok, this a questioned I wanted to ask too. So my protein is way over too, but because I have 2 shakes a day. I workout alot and want to make sure my muscles get enough. My protein is like 50-60 grams over, but I stay in my calories. Im good right?

Jake
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I typically eat "too much" protein and "too little" carbs according to MFP... but my body works better on protein than carbs, and as long as you're at or under your caloric limit, I think that's fine!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You gain weight if you consume more calories than you take it. MFP sets the protein pretty low here. I suggest bumming it up. I eat 150-180 grams a day (30% of my calories), but I train heavy. I've been told to go for 1 gram of protein for every lb of lean mass.

So no, if you are under your calories, but over your protein you will not gain weight.

This is true....I have heard you want to take in 1 gram of protein for every 1lb. MFP is extremely low on this...not sure how to change it though
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Ok, this a questioned I wanted to ask too. So my protein is way over too, but because I have 2 shakes a day. I workout alot and want to make sure my muscles get enough. My protein is like 50-60 grams over, but I stay in my calories. Im good right?

Jake

What is your weight and how many grams are you averaging per day Jake?
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 pounds consuming between 100-175 grams a day, so no. I am ALWAYS way over on my protein. On purpose.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • NemesisJRM
    Options

Jake

Yeah dude your spot on :-D

The liver can only process something like 45grams of protein every 3-4hours I think, if memory serves without researching it again, basically anything over and above this is not needed and will be passed, but yeah as long as your within your calories then the amount of protein you take in wont effect much.

However if you tip the scale the other way then problems will happen, IE not enough protein results in the body eating muscle and lose of mass etc etc so in short better to be over and within calories than under, but of course this is if your doing intense training and looking for lean muscle mass :-D
  • jacobhayes1
    Options
    SideSteel,

I weight about 190 and I take about 200 grams a day. I thought it was about a gram per pound, but MFP always has me in the red
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    SideSteel,

I weight about 190 and I take about 200 grams a day. I thought it was about a gram per pound, but MFP always has me in the red

1g/lb lean mass is typically considered a good minimum target. You probably don't NEED 200g, but there's certainly no harm in staying at 200g.
  • NemesisJRM
    Options
    SideSteel,

1g/lb lean mass is typically considered a good minimum target. You probably don't NEED 200g, but there's certainly no harm in staying at 200g.

Agreed :-D
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    jacob- you can change the % for your macros if you go to home- goals- change goals- then custom.
  • jacobhayes1
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys. And sorry I butchered your name "sidesteal"